Thread: Hi-8 to DVD

Default Hi-8 to DVD

I suppose I'm an ol' dinosaur in many ways but, I have a lot of Hi 8 tape that I'd like to transfer to DVD format. Problem is, my Sony EV-C100 isn't working right...won't eject half the time, won't FF or Reverse but 50% of the time, won't play but whenever it decides to, etc. I don't want to use my TR-400 camcorder to make this transfer and wear it out. Can the EV-C100 be repaired or does Sony even make Hi 8 VCR's anymore. Went to their site but didn't see anything listed. Also tried B & H Photo.

BTW-hope this is an ok place to post this.

Dunno if anyone manufactures HI8 decks anymore most people jus use cameras. The tape format is pretty redundant.

You could try ebay for an old deck or a second hi8 camera that u can use as a deck.

Repairs are always poss - just do a google search for Video Camera repairs in your local area but be ware - in some cases to repair a camera would be more expensive than jus buying a new one.

From all indications, it appears no one makes these anymore. I guess it's like trying to find records...only at the flea market! It doesn't seem that long ago I bought that VCR and it was $525 then through B & H Photo. Not cheap. I did write Sony and they told me it would be a flat fee of $177 to repair it...about three times the price of a new VHS vcr. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and send it to them as I don't want to get one from ebay-never know what you'll get from there and there's no longer an authorized Sony repair center in my area. I sure didn't think this format would become defunct this quickly. Thanks for your response.

Blog Entries

Not sure where you're from Colt, but check your local secondhand shops. Loads of Hi8 camcorders in there, nowadays from 79 in mine. For that price, it doesn't matter if you wear it out.

From Tennessee...they call them "pawn shops" down here but, I've never checked for a camcorder in there. I could always use my camcorder I suppose to play the tapes and hook it up to the DVD recorder, but as I said, seems like using the camcorder for that would put it in "double duty" status and wear it out sooner. May have to do that regardless in order to get the movies (primarlily family) off tape and on DVD.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Col Colt
    ...they call them "pawn shops" down here....
    We call them pawn shops too, although that terms reminds everybody of the 1950s.

I visited a branch of 'Cash America' on a visit to Florida not so long ago. Very posh well merchandised pawn store. The guy there had 56 camcorders on the shelf (yes, I stood and counted them!). The prices were nuts too. Very cheap and cheerful.

You may want to consider video conversion services. I used to tr yconverting tapes myself but it took so long I just gave up.

Check out sites like http://www.vhs-to-dvd.com.

or this..yes a member of the forums one-http://www.purejammy.co.uk/

You will probably be able to find a recent Sony DCR-TRV828E Digital8 camcorder - maybe old stock, or on eBay.

It not only plays back Video8 and Hi8 video tapes, but it converts them to DV down FireWire on the fly! You can capture the output directly into your computer.