Thread: New ShowReel

1. Cool New ShowReel

Hey guys, thanks in advanced!

I'm looking to get into video editing. I have no previous experience, just a big passion.

I've recently made a showreel, and just wanting some advice.

It's probably very bad, but see what you guys think

Dan

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the wonderful world of video editing Thanks for sharing this with the forum.

I've got some random unorganised feedback in my mind and I'm struggling a bit to put it into a sensible order so I'll just list the points randomly and hope they'll be of use to you.

1. Cuts timed to the music starts off good then it stops matching.

2. I don't think you should start with a showreel, nor do I reckon this should be called a showreel. (personal opinion, others may like to object)

3. I'm not sure if the plan was to make a story with this but I personally think that might be a better way to approach this. Try to tell short stories with stock footage and make sure the cuts feel right to the viewer (loads of things to take into account depending on the clips) Once you have created a few of these stories they can form your portfolio and you could consider them show reels or perhaps even edit them together as such.

4. Mixing portrait and landscape videos isn't nice unless it serves artistic purpose (that's important, each edit needs to serve purpose)

Look forward to see you improve in future productions!
    The cats are watching us...

Blog Entries

To expand a little on what Grapes says, this just seems to show random clips cut together. Each cut, like each scene, like each light, like each line of dialogue needs to serve a purpose. This is nearly always to direct a viewer's attention (or, often in the case of editing, not to distract a viewer's attention). This sort of "showreel" does not/cannot really show your skills at that.
    One thing an editing showrell canot have is a bad cut. at 00:26 there's a tiny jump which may be unnoticed by some, but jumped out at me.
    Now go and create a story/sequence and lets see what you come up with!
    Tim

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    To expand a little on what Grapes says, this just seems to show random clips cut together. Each cut, like each scene, like each light, like each line of dialogue needs to serve a purpose. This is nearly always to direct a viewer's attention (or, often in the case of editing, not to distract a viewer's attention). This sort of "showreel" does not/cannot really show your skills at that.
    One thing an editing showrell canot have is a bad cut. at 00:26 there's a tiny jump which may be unnoticed by some, but jumped out at me.
    Now go and create a story/sequence and lets see what you come up with!
    Hey guys thanks for the feed back, after looking back at the footage i can see what you both mean. Ill take what you said to heart and get on with another project.

Cheers, Dan