Thread: Match two drone videos where one is slightly off

Default Match two drone videos where one is slightly off

Hi,
    With my DJI Mavic 2 pro I have captured some footage by following the same path (waypoints), one is shot during the day and one is shot during the night. The altitude and positioning isn't exact enough so these clips don't match, also there is some slight change in altitude during the recording of the videos so when I tried to match the start by scaling and moving around one of the clips I still get to much variation so it is noticeable when blending the two clips.

Any tips in how I can go about trying to match these two clips in Premiere? I've googled and googled but not sure if I am using the correct terms, I got mostly hits on how to sync audio and colors on different clips. Not anything on how to match these almost identical clips.
    Last edited by Jaman42; 05-25-2020 at 01:43 PM. Reason: spelling

Any chance you can just hide it with a transition?
    The cats are watching us...

Blog Entries

The term you need to look for is "motion tracking". I don't use Premiere so can't help there (or even if it's possible - one would use most likely a compositor like After Effects for this).
    I'd be interested in how successful this is.
    Tim

I use After Effects but I doubt it will be any help here. Premiere doesn't have motion tracking as far as I know.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    I use After Effects but I doubt it will be any help here. Premiere doesn't have motion tracking as far as I know.
    I was imagining tracking one shot with a two point tracker, then tracking the same two points on the second shot, then (somehow) mapping tyhe points on the second shot to the points on the first.
    I haven't quite worked out the logistics,and can't really experiment without the footage, but that's how I'd approach it (in HitFilm)
    Tim

I'm not sure if it would work but it could be worth trying I suppose. My biggest concern would be that due to the difference in camera location the angle won't match entirely. E.g. you might get a match on one subject like a tree or a house but the rest of the frame would be off. I've tried looping drone footage of drones that where just hovering in tripod mode for 10 minutes and found it next to impossible to get a seamless loop. In theory it could work but you would need reference points for all items in the scene and I bet the result will look warped.

Thanks for the tips and ideas. I choose to manually animate the clip to match it with the other. I mostly used "Corner Pin" to stretch and skew the footage, it's only a 60 sec clip so it didn't take to long to get a decent result. It's far from perfect but I think it is good enough serving it's purpose.

I uploaded the result and the day and nighttime footage. The nighttime footage is the manipulated one so they look very similar.

Daytime original footage: https://youtu.be/fkh-BHDxhOg
    Nighttime original footage: https://youtu.be/YK8fp7ogRIA
    Combined footage: https://youtu.be/Esta8JxRQuI
    Last edited by Jaman42; 05-28-2020 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Changed URLs

Blog Entries

That's fantastic! I love the look.
    The big givaway, of course, is the cables of the suspension bridge. I suspect that even if you manageda perfect match in altitude, direction, speed etc, the cables would be slightly different due to differences in temperature, atmosphere etc. Dunno what you can do about that.
    Great job though
    Tim