Thread: Problems with sound during video recording

Question Problems with sound during video recording

Hi Guys,
    I am a bit desperate with my video recording experience, so maybe some of you had a similar problem and you'd have some ideas???
    I am using Panasonic Lumix G80 and Sennheiser AVX-ME2 for my yoga videos. I am recording in 4K & FHD, outdoors, the camera is 8m away from me and I am far away from the city and wifi jungle. There's only one wifi router (+some signal extensions), 20 m away from me, and my phone is in a flight mode. I am surrounded by the trees and bushes. Here's what happens sometimes, during my recording:
    https://youtu.be/8leLS7CKJ8E
    The problem occurs sometimes - it happens that 15 minutes is perfect and then it's horrible. The problem was also there when I was using another wireless system, much more budget option (Nikon WE-M1 I think).
    So now I suspect a problem with the camera (I haven't tried to record with another camera yet, so it's still unsure if the problem lays here).... Do you think it's possible that it's some problem with my Lumix?

Have any of you had a similar experience? I have literally zero ideas what is happening, I've checked so much already and feel a bit resignated :( The Sennheiser system is completely new, all cables are plugged properly, no cable seems to be damaged, batteries are fully charged but the problem stays the same.

Also, the problem occured as well when I was not laying on the ground and the transmitter was facing the sky. I have seen many professional yoga recordings with Sennheiser equipment (*analogue version) but no matter what these yoga people are doing with their bodies the sound is totally perfect there, no problem at all.

I will appreciate your help. Maybe you'll have some ideas! 🙏🙏🙏.
    Best,
    Marta

Quote Originally Posted by MartaOutdoorVideos View Post
    Do you think it's possible that it's some problem with my Lumix?
    Hi Marta,

It's definitely possible that the problem lies with the Lumix. Instead of recording with a different camera you can also try to record the audio with the Sennheiser coupled to your smartphone purely to test if the Lumix has a faulty port. If you also record the audio through the Lumix's on board microphones you might even be able to re-link the audio to the video with relative ease afterwards.
    Try to find out first if the problem can be the Lumix and if this does not seem to be the case do also check in a different location just to be absolutely sure you have tried everything before bringing this up with the reseller.
    The cats are watching us...

3. Default

If two different mic systems are doing it on the same camera, I would suspect the camera. As said, try a different camera. That should narrow it down.

In general I would not want to trust a camera to capture optimum audio, which is why I use a Zoom H5. That said, on one yoga video I did I had audio dropouts, but that was definitely a reception problem with my cheap Audio Technica mic and the instructor's movements.

Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    If two different mic systems are doing it on the same camera, I would suspect the camera. As said, try a different camera. That should narrow it down.

In general I would not want to trust a camera to capture optimum audio, which is why I use a Zoom H5. That said, on one yoga video I did I had audio dropouts, but that was definitely a reception problem with my cheap Audio Technica mic and the instructor's movements.
    Today I've tried with the same camera but put it closer to me and put the transmitter on the other side of my body - all worked well. I still have a question in my head how AVX could loose the connection if the distance wasn't even 10 meters? Now I will experiment with putting the transmitter back on the other side but staying close to the camera, maybe this will be enough.

Also, today I've checked that it's actually visible on the transmitter that the connection is going a bit crazy when I am covering it with my body, that would explain completely unpredictable dropouts...

Thanks for your support!

5. Default

Well, it makes sense that your problem has essentially the same cause as mine. It makes me kind of glad I didn't spend a ton of money on my mic (that I rarely use anyway). No doubt the actual audio quality of yours is better.

Given the amount you've invested in this, it might be worth getting a dedicated audio recorder. You could conceal it and the receiver much closer to you and further reduce the chances of dropouts. A Zoom H4n Pro is under $200.

Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    Well, it makes sense that your problem has essentially the same cause as mine. It makes me kind of glad I didn't spend a ton of money on my mic (that I rarely use anyway). No doubt the actual audio quality of yours is better.

Given the amount you've invested in this, it might be worth getting a dedicated audio recorder. You could conceal it and the receiver much closer to you and further reduce the chances of dropouts. A Zoom H4n Pro is under $200.
    So, just to clarify - I could connect my receiver to the zoom recorder you mentioned? Will the zoom also record sound then or just receive the sound from my mic?

Yea you know... I tried with cheaper stuff and it was even worse (dropouts even during recordings in a small room). During these fitness videos I am moving a lot and just a simple recorder which is laying on the ground might not work well when I am speaking in another direction or standing... It's hard to test every possible option because I would have to buy all these equipment to test it. I didn't pay full price for Sennheiser but still I expected more from this product... in the end, some people are recording sound in much worse conditons so I am wondering what are they doing so it works for them!?

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by MartaOutdoorVideos View Post
    So, just to clarify - I could connect my receiver to the zoom recorder you mentioned? Will the zoom also record sound then or just receive the sound from my mic?
    That particular recorder has two inputs for external devices like your mic receiver. It also has onboard mics.