Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Escapade

Blog Entries

The shots, grading and music combine to give this a really fantastic road movie feel, which I'm sure was the intention.
    With the exception of the fades to black your choices of transition are excellent.
    (I don't like the fades through black as they give a stop/start feel and, especially located as they are towards the beginning of the film make it feel like several false starts)

Your editing to the sound track is superb. This is not simply the timing of each transition, but the thought that has gone into the composition going into and out as well as within each transition really pays off. (OK there are exceptions the zoom out with zoom blur followed by the same shot again at 1:3 is not up to the standard of the rest.

However there is a massive BUT!

There are far too many transitions and there are far too many different transitions. It becomes a total distraction. By 2mins it's strated to look like and advert for a plug-ins pack.

If this was a film designed to show your skills as an editor with transitions, then this would be excellent (or at least 90sec version would be) but it was just way too busy and varied for me to enjoy anything but the music.A road movie doesn't want to be busy - it wants to show long relaxing journeys throgh beautiful scenery, punctuated with some occasional action. Here it seemed you pulled out all the stops to try to add excitement in post.

Having said that, I enjoyed it, but on two levels - one, the music (yes, it's possibly cliché Americana style, but it's produed and performed very well) and two as a study into how to put transitions together. As a whole film - not so much.
    Tim

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    The shots, grading and music combine to give this a really fantastic road movie feel, which I'm sure was the intention.

Having said that, I enjoyed it, but on two levels - one, the music (yes, it's possibly cliché Americana style, but it's produed and performed very well) and two as a study into how to put transitions together. As a whole film - not so much.
    It was just a music video, not a 'movie'. The intention was to promote the music. We needed an idea to express that.

The title Escapade gave the idea of an adventure/Road Trip concept. The song was written/performed/recorded 20 years ago.
    The length of the video was dictated by the length of the song. A '90-second' version would be impossible.

The first part of the video was started about 5 years ago and sat on my computer doing nothing in that time. The fades to black were necessary to show the differences in the journey.

The beginning part was probably more to do with my first use of animated mattes, I forget, it was a long time ago. The second half of the video was purely a combination of various AfterFX templates, nothing more, apart from editing the timing to match the music (unsuccessfully at times, but 6 years down the track, I was sick of it. This was probably the 15th edit).

Thanks for your input, most appreciated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12