Thread: Grading Sony A9 footage

Default Grading Sony A9 footage

For those of you who shoot video with the A9, how do you find grading those files seeing as it doesn't shoot S-Log?

I'm new to using the A9 for video so wondered if it's still easy enough to add a 'cinematic' grade just by shooting in the 'neutral' picture profile it has?

Also can you buy presets for grading like you can for stills? If so any recommended places to look? I'll be using Davinchi which I'm about to start learning.
    Thanks for any advice.

Having used the (original) A9 I can say the grade was fairly easy for me. I more often shoot without a colour profile than with and I haven't had any complaints yet.

I'm going to take this opportunity to put this related opinion forward for discussion:
    Not sure if anyone else has the same experience but anyone except perhaps incredible colour pedants can't even spot the difference in a grade from LOG and a grade from auto unless viewed side by side. I dare even say that a lot of people won't even spot the difference when they do view it side by side without having someone point it out. Ad to that the factor that there's not a universal LOG so when you're working with multiple brands you still have a nightmare in grading.
    All in all I feel there's not that much gain to shoot in LOG when you're not working on an art piece. We didn't even have LOG for a long time and we still managed to get satisfied customers.

Mind you I'm not saying I feel LOG is superfluous, I merely feel that it's often an over abused tool.

--Edit--
    Oh right and in terms of presets etc. Red Giant's: "Magic Bullet - Look" module will be what you're looking for: https://www.redgiant.com/products/ma...rial-download/
    Last edited by Grapes; 05-12-2020 at 07:36 AM.
    The cats are watching us...

Blog Entries

I'm absolutely sure you're right, Grapes, and as someone who is much more content focussed than technical quality focussed (at least, when watching others' films either for pleasure or when judging - which I am asked to do from time to time) I'm certain I wouldn't notice (at least until I'm writing up the crits on second, third, fourth...viewings.)

However (and its a big however) when making a film I agonise for hours over things like colour and audio quality - even though, as an amateur film maker, the product doesn't justify it (and I'm barely competent at either). My wife berates me for "wasting time" on such matters, but it's important to ME to do the best I can (and aren't all hobbies "wasting time"?). For my amateur films I can afford the luxury of spending time on such matters. On my semi pro gigs (local theatrical and school productions) the objective is to get films into people's hands asap - but even then I piss people off by making them wait until I've got something approaching reasonable colour.

But it DOES matter. For many years (decades) I played in a perfectly successful (in a scraping the bottom of the barrel sort of way) function/covers band doing anything from social clubs (where we were treated like dirt) through weddings (variable) to Masonic ladies nights (where we were paid loads and treated very respectfully). We did a good busk. What I mean by that is that for 95% of the audience we were great. The whole audience would have been able to tell the difference between us and a top class act, but I dobt more than 5% would have been able to tell why the top class act was better.

What makes an evening go well with a band, so long as they are reasonably competent, is the choice of material rather than the technical ability of the musicians.

But there is still that 5% who will see/hear/know the difference. And that is why we strive to produce the best we can.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 05-12-2020 at 05:15 PM.
    Tim

Ah yes passion projects <3, see that's when I usually DO shoot in LOG .

Also, awesome about the band stuff, what do you play?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Also, awesome about the band stuff, what do you play?
    Guitar - doesn't everyone?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Guitar - doesn't everyone?
    Yep, guilty!