Thread: Workstation advice for keen amateur film maker

Default Workstation advice for keen amateur film maker

Hello,

I'm new to video editing (2 years, more prolific in past 6 months), and a keen amateur. I'd be very grateful if anyone can point me to something suitable - I have zero building skills, so would require pre-built, Hoping that the knowledge in this forum can point me to something / someone / somewhere able to offer suitable spec's at an affordable price.

I appreciate there are so many options available for every aspect of the station, and hope the information below can at least generate a starting point...

Budget: Ideally under £1k, can stretch if required
    Editing software: Power director 365 (happy for advice on this as well)
    Videos created: typically under 5 minutes, no more than 8 tracks from 4k raw. Looking to expand output.
    Looking for: Advice on all areas of the work station!
    Summary: Would like to go overkill on RAM (speed and amount), processing power, and have at least one SSD. Options to upgrade in the future would also be good.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thank you

Steve

Hi Steve, Building a PC is dead simple these days IF you want to do it. If you don't really feel like it, don't do it
    In terms of builds, there's no "best" and it's all subjective. There's literally tons of tubers, vloggers, bloggers and main stream companies telling people what they feel is the best so really the choice is yours. My personal builds I generally start off with whatever Linus suggests and build from there so in your case I'd check the component list in this video's description and see how much damage it deos to your budget and if any of the components have been superseded by a newer model: https://youtu.be/w_HKRUPN1Mk

Editing... If you're starting out and are planning to go far you should definitely give Davinci Resolve a look. If you are going to keep it on the hobby level Hitfilm is often suggested on this forum and Vegas also pops up quite a lot but I think if Power Director works for you and you know your way around then I don't see why you should switch. Oh and there's always Filmora and Camtasia which both have build up a strong following over the past years.
    The cats are watching us...

My pleasure man!
    The cats are watching us...