Thread: Bulding a video editing workstation

Default Bulding a video editing workstation

Hi there,

I am a video editor and I want to buy a new pc for video edting. It will either be a z390 based computer with a i9 9900k cpu or a x299 with an i7 9800x. In either cases it will also have 32gb RAM, 2 NVMEs drives (1Tb each) and a larger (6Tb) HDD, a RTX 2080 8gb graphics card, and Blackmagic Design DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K and a wifi network card (if not one included on the motherboard).

I am not a computer expert and I got a bit confused regarding the cpu lanes. Knowing that i9 9900k gives 16x lanes in total. Will I be able to run my video cards, and nvme drives in full speed or there will be a bottleneck? I have read that chipset lanes are equivalent to x4. That means I have in total 20x in the i9 9900k scenario? or I should go for the i7 9800x?

Thank you very much for your time and help

Not trying to kick the hornet's nest here but as far as I know AMD has surpassed Intel in bang for buck value considerably these days. Most of my workers are currently upgrading to AMD with Nvidia GPU (because they haven't won the GPU battle yet). So unless Q1 of 2020 has brought any changes and if my knowledge is correct you're probably better off forgetting about these CPU's all together.
    The cats are watching us...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Not trying to kick the hornet's nest here but as far as I know AMD has surpassed Intel in bang for buck value considerably these days.
    Every few years they seem to do this for a few months, then disappear under the radar again. My problem with AMD has always been reliability. Now, this is only based on the comparativelys small number of CPU failures I've had (out of hundreds of PCs - I've been looking after PCs in school for > 25 years) but although the number of AMD CPU PCs has been fairly small in comparison to intel, I've only had 2 intel CPUs fail whereas I've has half a dozen AMDs
    (including one in my owm PC). There were all well outside their warranty, and apart from my own PC were well beyond the 5-6 years maximum business use one might expect to get so no complaints.
    So, the sample is far too small to be significant, and this is anecdotal ratehr than scientific. But I tend to shy away from AMD nased on personal experience.
    Whether it's true today, I don't know, but there was certainly a period where it was quite easy to fry an AMD CPU if the heatsink/fan failed whereas Intels would just fire up again once a new H/S/F fitted.

That said, the AMDs are indeed much better value and should be fine if looked after.
    Tim