Thread: Multi angle mixing software advice/hardware upgrade

Default Multi angle mixing software advice/hardware upgrade

Hi guys would really appreciate some help here.

I'm in a band and we have a couple of DSLRs so are going to throw together some studio videos.
    I'm an advanced Cubase user but have never dabbled in video before, have become quickly aware that there is a lot I need to learn.
    We want a good platform to sync and mix approx 4 different angles. I've seen tutorials on youtube where doing this in premiere pro looks pretty intuitive, also like the way it auto syncs on audio.

I looked at clipchamp as a budget option and looks like its definitely not up to the task.

I built my PC 8 years ago but it looks like as my processor is pre 2015 (min spec for premiere states 6th gen) it won't be compatible, also I would need to invest in a graphics card.

Here is my current setup:

Processor:
    Intel i5 Quad 3.3GHz
    Intel Sandybridge i5-2500K Unlocked Core i5 Quad-Core Processor (3.a30GHz, 6MB Cache, Socket 1155)

RAM:
    16GB DDR3
    HyperX FURY Series (2 x 8 GB) DDR3 1866 MHz CL10 DIMM Memory Module Kit - Red

Mother board:
    Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard (Socket 1155, 32GB DDR3 Support, ATX, Intel Z77 Express, USB 3.0, CrossFireX Support, Dual Intelligent Processors 3)

Graphics Card:
    Can't remember but not worth noting.

In summary my questions are:
    1. What software options do I have? Preferably budget but only if i can mix multi angles without too much aggro and exports to 1080p.
    2. Is it even worth thinking of upgrading this PC to support Premiere?

Really don't wan't to spend 1000 on a new PC as it does the job OK for recording and mixing the band. Wondering if an old version of premiere pro + a graphics card will be enough? How are previous versions with multi angle mixing?

2. Default

My system is a few notches up from what you spec there and it can work pretty hard when I have to color correct video (which is pretty much always necessary).

One thing that will work to your advantage is that you don't really need more than one angle active at most points on the timeline unless you're compositing (like doing a green screen effect or anything else with two video streams combined), so more angles shouldn't add a lot of load on the CPU.

Syncing via audio tracks is handy, but doing that by hand isn't all that hard. I find the audio tracks aren't sufficient to get the video synced perfectly for music, so I would end up fine tuning the sync by hand anyway, and that's the most tedious part of the process. I wouldn't suggest making a decision based only on that feature.

Maybe you should experiment with DaVinci Resolve to see if video editing is really something you want to get into. There is a bit of a steep learning curve at first.

Pretty much any proper* video editing software will accommodate multi-camera editing, even older programs. *Meaning not the stuff that comes with your OS.

3. Default

Here's what I mean when I say you only need one active angle, except the way I do it I keep the wide shot of the whole band active on the bottom layer and cut away the parts of the other tracks on higher layers. But technically I could chop out the parts of the bottom layer that weren't used. So it's not like audio where you have many tracks playing together.

I use Magix Vegas Pro, which is also a pretty good DAW in addition to being a video editor. It actually started out as a DAW before video editing was added.

Video Edit project.jpg

Thanks so much for the sound advice. What's the reason for recommending Davinci over Vegas when they seem to be the same price?
    Last edited by lukegould; 04-19-2020 at 01:13 PM.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by lukegould View Post
    Thanks so much for the sound advice. What's the reason for recommending Davinci over Vegas when they seem to be the same price?
    There's a free functional version of Resolve.