Thread: ShowReel 2020 (Clean Cut)

Default ShowReel 2020 (Clean Cut)

Hey,

If anyone is interested.
    Due to the downtime from the virus situation i obviously had some free time on my hands so i made a showreel video for 2020.
    It is a clean cut version (slower pace, almost no VFX) and i am currently editing a heavy VFX, higher tempo version, but that takes so much more time.

The reason why every filmmaker should make 2 showreel versions is for 2 very different audiences.
    There are 2 types of clients / audience:
    • the older generation - usually they can't handle fast paced, heavy edited video. They need a slower pace, more consistency, less VFX to be able to follow the content and have enough time to process what they see. Similar to what a regular movie looks like.
    • the younger generation - they want flashy, fast paced, exciting videos because their attention span is that of a sugar high 7 year old and the only way to keep them looking is to bombard them with images that stimulate their brain. Anything too slow and "normal" will be boring and they will lose interest.

Obviously there are exceptions to the rule, but generally speaking this is the case from years of experience with clients.
    Basically, the old saying - "know your audience". As in, show the appropriate version to the correct audience / client for maximum results.

So, this clean edit was made mostly from my personal shoots - events, some music videos, some b-roll.
    Unfortunately i can not use a big portion of my footage that we shoot for corporate clients. They usually buy the rights or we have an NDA.
    The plan was to switch over to a completely different type of client this year (footage that i would be able to use and that is much more exciting), but who knows if we will be able to film anything in 2020.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts.

Yeah looks alright right?

It's much longer than I would have gone for and I see quite a bit of repetition. My take is usually more to simply show the different types of shoots you can do e.g. Interviews, events, presentations etc. And once you've shown one topic and move on, don't switch back. I've got the idea you jump back and forth a lot. Main themes I see here is, events, commercials, sports, people, music videos, concert, stills animation(??) and perhaps travel? just take 10 seconds max for each topic and be done with it? Perhaps add some key words so the client can actually read as well what they are watching.

Then again I'm not a client so this is just really a personal take.
    The cats are watching us...

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Yeah looks alright right?

It's much longer than I would have gone for and I see quite a bit of repetition.
    Hey Grapes, thanks for the input.
    Regarding the length - i have talked with a dozen filmmakers and producers about this topic over the years and also from the best ones i have seen myself, a good show reel should be 2 to 3 minutes long. Mine ended up in the middle of that because i cut a portion of the song out.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    My take is usually more to simply show the different types of shoots you can do e.g. Interviews, events, presentations etc. And once you've shown one topic and move on, don't switch back. I've got the idea you jump back and forth a lot.
    .... just take 10 seconds max for each topic and be done with it
    I would agree if the purpose would have been to only make a cinematographers show reel. In that case i would have done something like that, but not if it's a multi purpose show reel that includes Director.
    A Director is some one who tells a story and / or creates certain feelings through those visuals etc.

Having totally random clips at hand makes it hard to tell a story due to the nature of the shots, but i was trying to at least create a positive and engaging feeling by going with the flow of the music and placing specific clips at key moments in the song and then following those with shot's that fit the mood, beat or theme. Most will not notice subtleties like that, but i know they are there and it's the small things that matter to me. Subconsciously people do notice them, but don't really register it, but they do register if those things are not there.

For example:
    - the opening music video sequence is a mini story the way i cut it.
    - 0:13 the dry ice bubble explodes perfectly on the beat and creates a smoke cloud in the girls hand that is followed by a shot that's revealed with smoke animations.
    - 0:34 the song lyrics go "i kinda like the way you ROLL" and i timed that with a clip of a woman spinning (implying the ROLL) followed by a 360 hyperlapse that spins around a fountain.
    - 0:50 the song lyrics go "so come on!" and i time that with the 3 guy shot where the one talking makes a hand gesture that fit's the "come on!" part that leads in to the next shot with another "i like the way you roll" that's paired with the BMX jump shot, because.. tires roll.
    - 0:56 is a cool transformers sound effect in the song and i time that with the cup being placed in the coffee machine creating a subtle but cool effect.
    - 1:10 beat drop timed with another smoke animation that together creates a feeling that it exploded.
    - 1:21 the music slows down, so i pair that with an wide and relatively longer drone shot
    - 1:29 the beat starts again and i pair that perfectly with the drummer pumping the pedal on the beat.
    - The bagel sequence changes directly on the beat and exactly where the song has no lyrics.
    - from 1:38 to 1:47 is an action build up sequence that ends on the fat beat drop timed with the BMX jump.
    - 2:06 the dancers moves are timed to the beat of the song
    - 2:11 the hand shake hits on the beat
    - and the ending slows down with a SUNSET timelapse (not sunrise) followed by the girl putting the coffee cup down on the table (instead of picking it up) therefore signaling an end to the video followed by the last shot of the girls pretty smile to end on a positive note.

If i would just take 10 seconds of a topic and randomly place them in some kind of order or without order then none of those subtle nuances would exist and the result would be less IMO.
    I just think small things like that are the difference between professionals and amateurs. Professionals pay attention and invest the time in them and amateurs don't even think about them or know they exist.

That's why i love Easter eggs in movies and hidden details that noone notices. In the end that level of attention to detail is what makes a good movie.
    Last edited by RL_Sensei; 04-16-2020 at 09:16 AM.

I see, clever storytelling there. I like the thoughts behind montages like that, it's a bit like when a photographer explains the story behind a photograph. Without that story it can just be a nice (or even boring) photograph.
    The cats are watching us...

Hi, There, a really great show reel demo here, very uplifting also! , i liked the shots, effects, and a mixture of content