Thread: Best way to cut syncronised 16mm film clips to old workprint

Default Best way to cut syncronised 16mm film clips to old workprint

I have a 16mm film from my film school days that I had digitally transferred from the negatives. I have synced up the digitally transferred clips with the original audio for each take that was used in the original workprint. Now I need to cut each newly synced clip to the exact length (frame) that was used in the original workprint edit. What's the best way to do this? Can I create a new media clip for each shot and then mark the in and out points of every frame in the source monitor, and add the new length clip from the source monitor to the timeline?

Charles

Quote Originally Posted by charles_i View Post
    I have a 16mm film from my film school days that I had digitally transferred from the negatives. I have synced up the digitally transferred clips with the original audio for each take that was used in the original workprint. Now I need to cut each newly synced clip to the exact length (frame) that was used in the original workprint edit. What's the best way to do this? Can I create a new media clip for each shot and then mark the in and out points of every frame in the source monitor, and add the new length clip from the source monitor to the timeline?

Charles
    Sounds about right yep, have you tried this yet?
    The cats are watching us...

There doesn't appear to be any way to create a media clip other than importing, but what I've done is double clicked on the original workprint video which puts it in the Source Monitor. Then I removed the workprint from the timeline. That way I can use the Program Monitor for the new clips, and match them up between monitors. No need to mark in and out points.

However, for long clips of static content I used the timeline. The workprint is a lot smaller than the new clips so it can sit on top of the new clip and you can see both at the same time. I added a timeline code to each one (set it to frames instead of time) and was able to find the start frames for each one and then run it to the end frames to find the end cut. A lot easier than counting frames. It's also easy to match up action visually this way. The smaller workprint image is in the center by default but it can be manually moved to view content underneath it. But zooming in on the timeline is not very accurate when it comes to finding an exact video frame. I also don't like the zoom on the monitors because of the way they go down to a single frame and then suddenly jump to multiple frames. I don't know why they do that.
    Last edited by charles_i; 04-01-2020 at 05:13 PM.