Thread: Still around

1. Thumbs up Still around

Hello all It's been quite a while since I posted of this amazing forum but I've been busy buying parts for a new computer as my old PC is just not up to scratch it's about 12 years old and all of a sudden started playing up No virus or conflicts.

example I can click on chrome or edge and go of make a coffee come back drink the coffee and it's still loading. everything else is the same from file explore to starting any program on my computer.

So with the help of my son who comes back from Uni we are going to assemble my new computer as all parts have been bought and ready, here is a list of computer parts

D Ryzen 7 2700X Processor with Wraith Prism RGB LED Cooler - YD270XBGAFBOX
    Aorus X570 AORUS ELITE (Socket AM4/X570/DDR4/S-ATA 600/ATX)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M1D3000C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR4 3000MHz C16 XMP 2.0 High Performance Desktop Memory Kit - Black
    Seagate ST4000DM004 4 TB 3.5 Inch Barracuda Serial Hard Drive
    Sabrent M.2 NVME SSD TLC/QLC (1TB, QLC)
    Seagate BarraCuda 120 SSD 1 TB Internal Solid State Drive 2.5 Inch SATA 6 GB/S for Computer Desktop PC Laptop (ZA1000CM10003)
    ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6 Dual OC EVO Turing Graphics Card

Corsair Carbide Series 275R Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX Gaming Case
    AeroCool Integrator Mod Xt 750W Power Supply, Semi-Modular, 80 Plus Bronze, Up to 85% Efficiency, 12 cm Black Fan
    BenQ GW2765HT LED IPS 27 inch Widescreen Multimedia Monitor (16:9 2560 x 1440, 1000:1, 20M:1, 4 ms GTG, DVI/DP1.2/HDMI1.4
    PreSonus Eris E3.5 - 2-way, High-Definition Active Studio Monitors (Pair)
    EURPMASK External CD DVD Drive, USB 3.0/2.0 & Type-C Interface Portable CD+/-R/RW DVD+/-R/RW Burner Reader Player High Speed Data Transfer for WIN7/ WIN8/WIN10/ XP
    Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit OEM DVD - Windows 10 Pro License - for 1 PC

Storage is no clear on the above list but I have the following
    2xm.2 1TB ssd
    2x1 TB ssd
    3x 4TB HHD

all done on cp picker (UK) and bought from amazon. yes I'm going two monitors and buying Davinci studio
    I have also bought a new laptop which will arrive today and a 8TB external HD for back up I will buy another one when needed

and this is the laptop that is coming
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My budget for the laptop was only 700.00 as my PC build was around 1990.00 and I have the two SSD drives already I am completely broke now but at least nothing on HP all cash Laptop is a bday gift from my wife (early) bless her

James

Was there a question in there or did you just post this to get a clap on the back from random people on the internet for buying some... stuff?!

I am genuinely confused!

P.s. DVD drive in 2020? Like... why...?

3. Default

No question and no clap just explaining why I've not been on the forum
    I use dvd drive to complete a wedding package with a slide show also Copy all my wedding photography to RAW just in case I need it

but thank you for the grumpy reply
    James Hodds
    Last edited by James Rugby; 03-14-2020 at 12:58 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by James Rugby View Post
    No question and no clap just explaining why I've not been on the forum
    I use dvd drive to complete a wedding package with a slide show also Copy all my wedding photography to RAW just in case I need it

but thank you for the grumpy reply
    James Hodds
    I rarely shoot weddings, but can you elaborate why people still want wedding DVDs? A small flash drive costs as much as a DVD and these days you can plug those in anywhere, whereas - who has devices that use CDs... in the general age group that gets married?!

Why is my reply "grumpy"?
    Don't blame me for your need to get attention and social approval from random people on the internet.

You literary said it yourself - you did not visit this forum for a while (apparently you did not need to), now you bought some PC parts for which you are apparently very proud of, so much so, that NOW of all times you were motivated enough to come back to this forum just so you can tell us what stuff you bought.

I don't see how that information ("Hi, i bought some stuff") was meant to benefit anyone on this forum other then make you feel better about yourself for the money you spent by asking us for some kind of approval.

Blog Entries

DVDs are still sought after. When supplying Wedding vids (I don't) it's much like supplying films of theatrical productions (I do). The box and prined cover (and booklet) adds value and gives a sense of something which is not present with a digital download/USB.
    Even though I listen to my music allmost entirely from my phone or PC, I always but the DC for a similar reason.

What's more, when delivering on DVD you, I and anyone who cares to Google it, knows it's easy to duplicate. For Joe public though, it's more of a faff, whereas they know they can copy USB drives because they're doing it all the time.
    Additionally, psychologically, copying "data" - something that just exists on computers, doesn't feel like stealing in the way that duplicating a DVD might.

So, if your income from a proudction is based on units sold (as my DVDs of school productions are, although I imagine a wedding is a fixed price) a DVD makes more sense (and parebnts absolutely love it if a picture of their kid is on the cover, the back or printed on the DVD itself - something you can't do with a USB stick.

Also high quality DVDs professionally duplicated, colour printed, in Amaray boxes with full colour printed wraps cost me between 1.50 and 1.80 each depending on quantity. USB sticks cost more.

We offered HD downloads and (SD) DVDs for the nativities last Christmas at the same price. Bear in midn these are parents of 5-8 years olds so hardly old codgers 35 ordered downloads and 128 ordered DVDs (with one or two ordering both).

So, I can totally see why James wants a DVD.

As for why he posted - I don't see that as a need for attention. He's just saying Hi and told us what he's been up to. That's not seeking approval.

What's more it prompted a discussion - something badly needed here.

Now as for the kit, personally I'd get Scan (or other system builder) to build it to your spec (assuming they supply the parts) as they will run a 24hour burn in test, and will replace any parts failing that. Even though i'm more than capable of doing so, I don't have the time or inclination to be bothered with all that (especially trying to send part that fail back to suppliers). There's a satisfaction in self building, but not any significant money saving and it's a hel of a lot easier if something doesn't work.
    Tim