Thread: Export Audio only

Blog Entries

Default Export Audio only

I have a club member who wants to process some audio with Izotope RX7 Elements (after my demo of Standard). She came toe xtract the audio from her video file only to discover the two NLEs she has (Edius and Premiere Elements) will not allow her to do so. I'm not familiar with either so assume she is correct.

The question is therefore: what free or cheap product will allow her to extract audio - preferably WAV - from her AVCHD footage taken with a Panasonic X900?

(I thought this was gong o be easy, but Resolve doesn't, HitFilm doesn't, Handbrake at least does MP3)
    Tim

2. Default

I think VLC player will do that, but possibly only to 44.1kHz 16 bit files, which is kind of annoying since video is generally 48kHz.

Also, try Reaper.

3. Default

It doesn't look like Reaper will take an AVCHD file, but I discovered you can drop an AVI onto the timeline and the audio track will open up. She could export her material as DV quality AVI files and drop them into Reaper, then export at 48kHz 16 bit. As long as there aren't any volume or other changes in Reaper it should be a perfect copy. I would check the pan law setting in Reaper and make it 0dB.

Blog Entries

Thanks BSG. Rather annoyingly Ive received an email this morning saying she's worked out how to get audio only out of Edius!

As an aside - is Reaper your main DAW? I don't do much composing/audi recording, but over time I've used Acid Pro, Tracktion and Samplitude. I recently downloaded Reaper and watched a few (actually quote a lot of) tutorials, many of which are high quality and played with it, and I'm blown away by it. It helps that it is very similar to Vegas (at leat to my way of working). It seems stable and very well supported. Fantastic value and I'm looking forward to the opportunity to use it in earnest.
    Tim

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    As an aside - is Reaper your main DAW?
    I use Vegas Pro for audio as well as video. There's very little it won't do and I'm so used to it I can get things done efficiently. One feature I'd like is what's called clip gain in Pro Tools or item volume in Reaper. The other feature I'd like to see them add is a routing option to allow for sidechain compression (e.g. for ducking).

I have Reaper because I answer a lot of questions on a recording forum and having it lets me answer specific ones about that DAW. Plus it has a couple of effects I use very occasionally, like ReaTune. Many of the Reaper plugins are available as a plugin package you can use on other DAWs. One of my favorites for special cases is ReaFIR, which I often use in compressor mode something like a multiband compressor. Sometimes I put it right on a kick drum, sometimes I use it as a parallel compressor.

Blog Entries

Thanks BSG. I also use Vegas for most Audio - in fact it's capable enough for nearly all my limited needs (whilst I make use of busses and compression, I'm not generally mixing separate instruments so side-chain compression is not a requirement).
    For those unaware, Vegas started life as an Audio editor so its audio capabilities shuld not come as a surprise.

I say Vegas is *nearly* enough, because it doesn't do MIDI which is essential for me on the odd occasion I compose pieces/redit other MIDI files.

Clip gain/item volume - I can see the benefit as a small time saver, in that it removes the need to normalise quiet passages before using the event gain control, but I've got so used to that method of working (split/normalise/adjust gain) that it's become automatic.
    Tim

7. Default

I do the split/normalize/adjust thing as well. The cool thing about clip gain/item volume is that it's an automation curve so there's no need to split, and the waveform display changes accordingly. It's a great way to fix spots with excessive sibilance.

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=bouldersoundguy;227783The cool thing about clip gain/item volume is that it's an automation curve so there's no need to split, [/QUOTE]
    Ahh, I didn't spot that. Very useful.
    Tim

Hi, I haven't read through all of this so I'm not sure if it's resolved yet. Neither am I sure if my solution will work for the file type. That said, I always drag my clips straight into Audacity if I need to export an audio file.
    Alternatively Premiere Elements should be able to export audio only according to the official website (at the bottom):https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-ele...e-formats.html
    The cats are watching us...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Hi, I haven't read through all of this so I'm not sure if it's resolved yet.
    It was and bouldersoundguy and I have gone OT (my fault)
    Tim