Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sillouettes on plain background

Default Sillouettes on plain background

Hi guys
    Iíve been asked to provide a video for VE Day which will be part of a Son Et Lumiere projection. In my head I want to provide silhouettes of planes, ships, people over a plain red background and moving across the screen.
    I use Movavi as my video editor but canít see how to achieve this effect? Would a program like Powerpoint be more suitable?
    Any helpful advice would be appreciated!

Maybe a silly suggestion but you can just go for 2d paper animations with a camera, black and red paper and a pair of scissors. Maybe some fishing line, sticks or just use stop motion...
    The cats are watching us...

3. Default

Make the silhouettes in a graphics program and animate them in the video editor. The images can be made with transparent backgrounds and exported as .png files.

4. Default

Something like this?

Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    Something like this?

Whoa!! Exactly like this! I need to come round to your house.......... Ok - so how was it done?

"Maybe a silly suggestion but you can just go for 2d paper animations with a camera, black and red paper and a pair of scissors. Maybe some fishing line, sticks or just use stop motion..."

Not such a silly suggestion - I tried this same trick yesterday with a cut out card plane on a red background and panned the camera....it looked like something that Junior school kids would do!
    Last edited by Radioguy; 02-24-2020 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Radioguy View Post
    Whoa!! Exactly like this! I need to come round to your house.......... Ok - so how was it done?
    Thanks so much for the advice. Had a quick go following your directions and this is version 1. Ok - so its a work in progress.....
    https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...3j68nHUn9WmjDB

8. Default

First thing I did was find a photo with a fairly even sky background. Since this was a UK WWII project I searched for an Avro Lancaster. In my image editor (GIMP) I increased the contrast, then I used the threshold filter. That gave me a hard edged solid black and white image, but with a lot of holes in the plane. So I then used the pencil tool set to a large hard edge circle and filled in the holes. Before I exported it I resized the "canvas" to about twice the size of my video frame to make the panning animation a little easier.

I imported the image to a track in Vegas Pro, then added a second track below it in which I added a solid color background. Going back to the silhouette track I opened the crop tool and set the movement restriction to horizontal, then moved the crop frame to the left putting the silhouette just out of frame. Finally, I added a keyframe point to the end of the crop tool's timeline and moved the frame all the way to the right putting the silhouette just out of frame at the other end.

silhouette demo project.jpg
    Last edited by bouldersoundguy; 02-24-2020 at 07:55 PM.

That is SO helpful. Thank you buddy. I'll give it a go tomorrow. I am also using Gimp but use Movavi as my editor (no way can I afford the likes of Vegas Pro) so will need to equate the video process but this has given me a real leg up to work this out. Thanks once again.

Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    First thing I did was find a photo with a fairly even sky background. Since this was a UK WWII project I searched for an Avro Lancaster. In my image editor (GIMP) I increased the contrast, then I used the threshold filter. That gave me a hard edged solid black and white image, but with a lot of holes in the plane. So I then used the pencil tool set to a large hard edge circle and filled in the holes. Before I exported it I resized the "canvas" to about twice the size of my video frame to make the panning animation a little easier.

I imported the image to a track in Vegas Pro, then added a second track below it in which I added a solid color background. Going back to the silhouette track I opened the crop tool and set the movement restriction to horizontal, then moved the crop frame to the left putting the silhouette just out of frame. Finally, I added a keyframe point to the end of the crop tool's timeline and moved the frame all the way to the right putting the silhouette just out of frame at the other end.

silhouette demo project.jpg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Radioguy View Post
    That is SO helpful. Thank you buddy. I'll give it a go tomorrow. I am also using Gimp but use Movavi as my editor (no way can I afford the likes of Vegas Pro) so will need to equate the video process but this has given me a real leg up to work this out. Thanks once again.
    Happy to show you how to do it in the FREE Hitfilm Express, if Movavi doen't deliver.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast