Thread: splitting a signal. Is there such a thing?

Default splitting a signal. Is there such a thing?

I'm new. I'm good at still photography but know nothing about video. I'm working on it.

I want to film boat building and fly tying/lure making for fishermen.

I have a macro still photography setup in my basement with light tents, lights and various background setups. I'll start with the fly tying. I have an aging Nikon D7000 and multiple lenses. The Macro 105 seems right for the closeup details of fly tying. I also have (access to) an Olympus OMD 5 mark II, which I'm told is better for video than the older Nikon.

I have the camera on a small tripod with HDMI cable going out to a 27" monitor so I can see what I'm doing live on screen as I do it. My setup saves to an on-camera SD card. Is there some way to split that outgoing HDMI feed so it can simultaneously display on the big monitor, plus save directly to a tethered hard drive? All at the same time?

Someone told me there is hardware for this sort of thing. But I don't know what it is. The SD card works well enough. But I would like the convenience of saving directly to a large Linux hard drive. Tethered saving is how I do all my closeup still photography.
    Last edited by pittendrigh; 02-20-2020 at 11:01 PM.

2. Default

Searching "HDMI splitter" gave me a bunch of results from $3 up. I have no idea what the quality is, though generally you can split audio or video signals to two devices pretty safely with a passive Y-cable.

Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    Searching "HDMI splitter" gave me a bunch of results from $3 up. I have no idea what the quality is, though generally you can split audio or video signals to two devices pretty safely with a passive Y-cable.
    RE> Searching on HDMI splitter
    Ouch. I could have done that.

Perhaps what I really want is something like this (I want a live view plus a file on my hard drive, without grabbing the camera):
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...words=magewell

This looks interesting too:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/digicamcontrol/

I'll keep looking...........
    Last edited by pittendrigh; 02-21-2020 at 01:48 PM. Reason: add interesting link

4. Default

Yes, I've got a Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle that can capture HDMI plus analog video sources via USB 3. I'm pretty sure you can get standalone HDMI capture devices as well.