Thread: Superhero Web Series Lukulele (Our first webseries!)

Default Superhero Web Series Lukulele (Our first webseries!)

Hello!

I hope this is an acceptable thing to post here! My name is Rupert and I’m one third of ‘The Animus Workshop’. I’m excited to be spreading the word about our superhero series ‘Lukulele’! It’s the first web series we’ve ever done and we are excited to share it with you!

It’s an unorthodox superhero story told through the lens of a YouTube vlogger’s ukulele tutorials. I’d love to know what you think of the series! Please follow this link and check out all six episodes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNmQ...yqFjNU9m9PgvHU

Lukulele is the first series of The Animus Trilogy (I’ll tell you more about that later) but if you enjoy the series please subscribe as there's A LOT to come including an animated series.

Thanks,

Rupert

P.S please do reply, I love to chat and would really love to know what you think of the series!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RupertAspden View Post
    Hello!
    Hi!
    I hope this is an acceptable thing to post here!
    It is, but it is not acceptable to post duplicates in more than one section, so I've deleted the other.
    P.S please do reply, I love to chat and would really love to know what you think of the series!
    And you've posted in the User Vids section, which, as you will have read, is for feedback.

The animation at the beginning is absolutely fantastic but goes on about 1min 45 secs too long and as far as I an tell has nothing to do with the content.
    Whilst the idea here is to comment on one video per thread, i did have a quick look at some others and this intro(?) doesn't seem to appear elsewhere.
    If you're going to show chord diagrams in a tutorial section, make them big and clear. they shoudl fill the screen at least once ortwice - may people will be watching on cameras.
    I found your humour mildly amusing, but it was trather ruined by labouring the point (for example the "strumming in your bedroom" joke is easily got across in a couple of lines.
    You've clearly put a lot of work into the graphics but this, plus elements of humour is not enough to disguise the fact that the video is sorely lacking in content.

What you've covered here could make a snappy 1-2 minute video, the humour would be more effective and the graphics/editing more impressive.

No doubt, I'll be proved wrong and you'll have a million subscribers by the end of the month, but that's life!
    Tim

Hi Tim,

Thank you for taking a look and your feedback!

"The animation at the beginning is absolutely fantastic but goes on about 1min 45 secs too long and as far as I an tell has nothing to do with the content."

This graphic is the introduction to the world of ‘Lukulele’ and is the kick off for ‘The Animus Trilogy’ which is three different, intertwining superhero series so this is really the launch for far more than this video. It doesn’t feature in the other episodes because after episode 1 we have entered this world and are watching the story unfold. We also come back out of the portal in episode 6 to book end the series.

"If you're going to show chord diagrams in a tutorial section, make them big and clear. they shoudl fill the screen at least once ortwice - may people will be watching on cameras. I found your humour mildly amusing, but it was trather ruined by labouring the point (for example the "strumming in your bedroom" joke is easily got across in a couple of lines. You've clearly put a lot of work into the graphics but this, plus elements of humour is not enough to disguise the fact that the video is sorely lacking in content."

Funnily enough a lot of this was actually what we are going for. This episode isn’t supposed to be a good tutorial or even a good vlog. It is supposed to introduce Luke’s ordinary world and give an example of his content (we billed his channel as the 83rd most popular ukulele tutorials on YouTube). I didn’t realise the thread was supposed to be for one video as I was hoping people might watch the series. It is only when you see more episodes that this first episode is given context and sharply juxtaposed with the drama to come. The episodes aren’t really stand-alone. The series starts as one thing and becomes another!

Thanks again for checking it out, I hope you get a chance to watch the other episodes in full!

Blog Entries

Funnily enough a lot of this was actually what we are going for. This episode isn’t supposed to be a good tutorial or even a good vlog. It is supposed to introduce Luke’s ordinary world and give an example of his content (we billed his channel as the 83rd most popular ukulele tutorials on YouTube). I didn’t realise the thread was supposed to be for one video as I was hoping people might watch the series. It is only when you see more episodes that this first episode is given context and sharply juxtaposed with the drama to come. The episodes aren’t really stand-alone. The series starts as one thing and becomes another!

Thanks again for checking it out, I hope you get a chance to watch the other episodes in full!
    The reason for the "one vid per thread" rule is it can become confusing whaich comments relate to which video. Of course this makes commenting on series rather difficult. I suppose what we want to avoid is people unashamedly just pimping their channels without being serious about gaining constructive feedback. Obviosly you don't fit into that category!

Back to the plot, I rather like the idea of the "83rd most popular ukulele channel", but although it's an amusing idea actually sitting through a third rate channel - even if a deliberate parody - is a big ask of any audience, without a lot of clever humour.
    Tim

Hi Tim,

That makes sense re individual videos. I understand 100% what you are saying about asking the audience to sit through a third-rate channel and thankfully we only ask them to do it for the first episode, things take a big turn in episode 2 when the superhero story kicks in. The reason we decided to do this was that we wanted it to feel as though the story unfolds to the audience through Luke's content as opposed to him just making vlogs about being a superhero (although that is what his content inevitably morphs into) after the incident has happened. We needed a realistic reason for a camera to be on, to capture the story as it happened and that reason is the third rate ukulele tutorials! The audience can watch the events unfold as they happened. Episode 1 may not get to the meat of the story but it does set up the ordinary world and I hope, lines the audience up to enjoy what's to come in a more exciting way.

We knew the danger of doing this, what with the notoriously short attention span of the internet! I'm sure we do lose some views because of it, but we wanted to make the story feel as organic as possible and I think (hope!) those who do watch through are rewarded for it in the following episodes.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply!