Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which small upgrade should come first?

hmmm well let's have a look at your future plans then. Do you plan to keep doing this for a long time and will this be a source of income then go with the lights until you can afford a better camera.
    The cats are watching us...

2. Default

This is supposed to be a long term thing, and I am hoping to make money (and get other gigs) because of it.

Yep, in that case there's something to say for the lights instead of the camera. Just go for the lights and when you get your first few gigs start renting a camera (include the price in your quote e.g. Gear: £100) and if you are certain you are getting new gigs frequently consider buying or keep renting or take a professional lease.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Yep, in that case there's something to say for the lights instead of the camera. Just go for the lights and when you get your first few gigs start renting a camera (include the price in your quote e.g. Gear: £100) and if you are certain you are getting new gigs frequently consider buying or keep renting or take a professional lease.
    No paid gigs. I'm not a film maker. I don't expect anyone to ever want to hire me to shoot something. The money that I'm planning to make is from the subject matter which I will be addressing in videos - I hope it will land me some lecturing or training gigs.

Ah in that case I wouldn't even bother with the lights to be honest because then it's most likely a matter of content over quality meaning you'll likely get away with average video quality as long as you yourself look presentable and can manage to build raport with your audience. Meaning also that you will probably gain more from a good outfit maybe a new haircut and possibly a tablet that you use as an autocue than lights and camera.

6. Default

I agree, but at the same time I think video quality is also important. It really doesn't have to be top quality cinematographic video, but it better be nice. A bit above average.

Blog Entries

I agree. No mater how good the content, in a competitive world where so many videos are available, a more polished looking one is going to stand out and hopefully attract more people. You have to get them viewing in the first place.
    Tim

8. Default

exactamento

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12