Thread: How to achieve this cinema feel?

Question How to achieve this cinema feel?

Hello!

I've been looking for some companies to record and edit a videoclip for my band, but all the viable ones i found look kinda amateur comparing to other professional videoclips...
    Their work simply don't have that "cinema" rendering feeling.

My biggest concern is if this difference comes from the recording gear and techniques or from a post-production/editing/mastering/rendering (sorry, i'm not familiar with video vocabulary).

If it's a post-production issue, i think i can find someone to fix this problem, but if it's a capturing/recording problem then i have to discard those companies as viable options.
    Actually...can it really be done/ is it commonly done? Is it common that companies accept this kind of deal? ( recording the video with a particular company and getting all the image/video treatment done some place else?)

Here is a videoclip from one of the companies i mentioned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

And here's the professional videoclip that i'm comparing with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7IIYIFljZM

Just as a note, i know that there are probably lots and lots of differences, but what i'm aiming for is this "movie-like" rendering that the professional videoclip have.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks in advance!!

Quote Originally Posted by LMM View Post
    Hello!

I've been looking for some companies to record and edit a videoclip for my band, but all the viable ones i found look kinda amateur comparing to other professional videoclips...
    Their work simply don't have that "cinema" rendering feeling.

My biggest concern is if this difference comes from the recording gear and techniques or from a post-production/editing/mastering/rendering (sorry, i'm not familiar with video vocabulary).

If it's a post-production issue, i think i can find someone to fix this problem, but if it's a capturing/recording problem then i have to discard those companies as viable options.
    Actually...can it really be done/ is it commonly done? Is it common that companies accept this kind of deal? ( recording the video with a particular company and getting all the image/video treatment done some place else?)

Here is a videoclip from one of the companies i mentioned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

And here's the professional videoclip that i'm comparing with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7IIYIFljZM

Just as a note, i know that there are probably lots and lots of differences, but what i'm aiming for is this "movie-like" rendering that the professional videoclip have.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks in advance!!
    Hmmm hard to say what about this is the "professional movie like" look... I suspect it's actually just the colour grading. Have a look at this and tell me if you meant something entirely different: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdfbliptM3Y

Personally I find it no problem if I only have to shoot the footage and do that quite often actually. Also remember that those companies may simply never had a request for that look. You can ask your top 2 picks if they could do some samples of a cinematic colour grading look.

Other than grading it's really hard to compare these two videos because the style is vastly different and also the approach. The "professional" video shows a story and the "less professional" just shows a band performing in the dunes this has a great impact on the way you look at the two as well.
    The cats are watching us...

Blog Entries

A couple of things spring to mind here.

The opening shots of the Vitalism footage do have quite a good look - they have the cinematic shallow depth of field but this only really works when there is something in the background to throw out of focus. Vast areas of sand don't really work for this trick. The other video, being shot in woodland, has stuff (trees) in the background to give contrast to the in focus subject.

Whilst there are some good shots in the Vitalism film, it clearly was not shot with the widescreen crop in mind. There are several places where the tops of heads are chopped off in an unpleasing manner.

Possibly the biggest difference this lighting. I actually quite like the look of the "dark" band against the "light" background, but it leaves little to play with. In the Epica video, the subject is (mostly) light in comparison to the background. The lighting is much more interesting. In most shots there is a contrast in the lighting of the subject between left and right, causing stronger shadows which gives more dramatic effect than the flat lighting we see in the Vitalism one. And there's consistent variation in this. The contrast (left/right) lighting is consistently greater on the girl (especially in the woods) than on the other characters - even when in the woods where the lighting is overall more subdued. This creates a contrast between her and the mad and creatures we see in the woods. She is bright & in high contrast, he is just a bit brighter than the surroundings and the "baddies" are in the main actually darker than their surroundings - all visual emotional clues.

The extreme of this is the backlit man behind bars. Cleverly lit so that although he is virtually silhouetted against the light behind we can still make out his features quite clearly.

As the film progresses we see the lighting on the girl becoming less contrasty. By the end both sides of here face are equally lit. By the same token as teh "creatures" take off their masks, their faces appear a bit brighter, less forbidding.

I'm not sure I understand the nuances of all this but it is clear there is a lot going on with the lighting. Something that's difficult to achieve among sand dunes!

As Grapes says we're comparing two different things here, a but a lot of the look of the Epica film is down to use of light - and here you're very limited in what you can do in post as far as that's concerned.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 01-24-2020 at 06:36 PM.
    Tim