Thread: Greetings and advice welcome please.

Default Greetings and advice welcome please.

VidHelp copy.jpg

Hi All,
    I'm struggling to find out the level of difficultly involved and probably to a large extent just the technical language involved to research creating a video as I've mocked up in the attached sample. I would like to have an edited video which loads in section of the static screen, while also having a video running, maybe not all the time - fade in fade out etc - of a host as well introducing the video and discussing it, perhaps having the display video pausing every so often. I used to be able to make similar things using action code in SWISH and to some extent Flash, but am struggling with video editing software, although am sure I have enough tools to do this with Resolve, Filmora and Vega Video 14 - much as I'd like Premiere and After Effects the learning curb is pretty steep and the costs even steeper, but I'm not beyound biting the bullet if I have to as want to produce some quality content - at least in terms of production values.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Quote Originally Posted by RKBB65 View Post
    VidHelp copy.jpg

Hi All,
    I'm struggling to find out the level of difficultly involved and probably to a large extent just the technical language involved to research creating a video as I've mocked up in the attached sample. I would like to have an edited video which loads in section of the static screen, while also having a video running, maybe not all the time - fade in fade out etc - of a host as well introducing the video and discussing it, perhaps having the display video pausing every so often. I used to be able to make similar things using action code in SWISH and to some extent Flash, but am struggling with video editing software, although am sure I have enough tools to do this with Resolve, Filmora and Vega Video 14 - much as I'd like Premiere and After Effects the learning curb is pretty steep and the costs even steeper, but I'm not beyound biting the bullet if I have to as want to produce some quality content - at least in terms of production values.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
    Hi,

Resolve should have you covered in everything Premiere does. The reason I suspect that you find this difficult in video editing is because you probably need a different approach in regards to the objects on the screen.

For the scene you suggest it's important to know how you propose to film the host and the background video/image. If there will be any overlap by the host you probably will want to take that into account when you film. In that case you can place a green square behind the host which you can then "key out" The top left video is just a scaled down video in a top layer. Nothing special about that unless you want the host to overlap the screen at some point. If so you probably be best off to just film the host against a green screen. That way you essentially create a cut out host that you can stick in front of everything. I highly suspect you'll end up using a green screen unless you want to use a physical monitor behind your host that actually shows the video.

For further more in depth assistance we need a bit more details.
    The cats are watching us...

Thank you for your reply. I wasn't sure if I'd need to use a green screen behind the host video or if I could achieve the effect via software. I I green screen the host and then overlay the other video over the top would that be the best way? I plan on making various backgounds in photoshop for the static backgrounds - thanks again for your reply.

No problem.

You are keying the green away so you can put the host layer on top of the rest. The one in the left top corner can also be placed behind the host's layer I suppose but I don't think it matters a lot.
    Make sure you do the lighting and distance of the host compared to the screen well. Takes a bit of practice and trial and error but once you've perfected the setup the rest will be relatively painless.
    Make sure the host doesn't wear anything with green!
    The cats are watching us...

Blog Entries

Everything Grapes said - plus.
    If by Vega Video 14 you mean (Sony) Vegas Pro 14, then it certainly has some good Green Screen capabilities, although I reommend using the Secondary Colour Corrector rather than the specific Chroma Key effects (having said that I prefer the keing in HiotFilm Pro and so haven't used Vegas for this for a while. If you have Vegas Movie Studio, this is more limited. Still workable, but requires better source material. (ie perfectly lit green screen)
    Whilst i've used Resolve, I've not used it's Keying. However, given where it's coming from I'd imagine it is excellent.
    No idea about Filmora, but it seems to be gaining in popularity,
    Tim

Many thanks for the advice everyone. I'm going to dabble in some green screen and see what the results are like, although I suspect initiailly I might have to opt for a more basic video to at least get some stuff going, but it's been very helpful reading your comments.