Thread: Expectation vs reality

Default Expectation vs reality

I had high hopes of making a little Scalextric video. After all, Iíve had years of practice filming motorsport and this is just the same, right. Turns out it isnít! I didnít want to make a video of my son playing, I wanted to make it look almost real.

The end result is far from what I expected as I hadnít anticipated just how difficult it would be. I couldnít get lights close enough, even my iPhone was too big, the lens could capture the detail and it was super hard to isolate the track. So, lessons learned from the first foray - hopefully Iíll have time to perfect this another time and introduce some green screen trickery.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    I had high hopes of making a little Scalextric video. After all, I’ve had years of practice filming motorsport and this is just the same, right. Turns out it isn’t! I didn’t want to make a video of my son playing, I wanted to make it look almost real.

The end result is far from what I expected as I hadn’t anticipated just how difficult it would be. I couldn’t get lights close enough, even my iPhone was too big, the lens could capture the detail and it was super hard to isolate the track. So, lessons learned from the first foray - hopefully I’ll have time to perfect this another time and introduce some green screen trickery.

It is a better result than I thought it would be. Maybe a Gopro would be useful here with its superwide lens things seem further away than they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Duerden View Post
    It is a better result than I thought it would be. Maybe a Gopro would be useful here with its superwide lens things seem further away than they are.
    Youíre absolutely right. I was all set to use the GoPro (and even somehow strap one to the car) but silly me didnít have any charged batteries!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Default

I was all set to use the GoPro (and even somehow strap one to the car)
    Perhaps a chassis without a body. Some of them seem to have a good space for a stick-on mount. Or maybe drill a hole and put a 1/4" 20TPI screw in for a tripod adapter. The Hero Session model would be ideal for this since it's smaller and lighter.

...but silly me didn’t have any charged batteries!

I've got an old phone charger with the mini USB that fits my GoPro cameras (2 Hero2 and 1 Hero3+ Silver). That gets me indefinite shooting for stationary cameras.

Blog Entries

I think it's excellent! The shots of the tight corner (eg 22s) are really dynamic, and that final tracking shot is super smooth. I could maybe do with one or two wider (ie looking fuurther away) shots as mentioned above, but it's pretty effective. My son is a race car engineer on the Formula E circuit (just arrived in Chile for this next weekend's race) so he gets to play with bigger electric racing cars. I've not been given the opportunity to film them though.
    Tim

I like the narrow shots for this kind of stuff. Awesome vid.
    The cats are watching us...