Thread: Please, help me revise my portfolio

Angry Please, help me revise my portfolio

Hello, dear forum people.
    I am looking for help as I am not able to understand myself, what I am doing wrong :(

I've finished Media Production university in 2015 and since then I can't find a job which will please me.
    I mean, my basic needs are still not closed and this worries me a lot. After I've worked in a few companies, I started my own. I had some health restrictions and the only option for me was working freelance from home.

Could you please see my website and tell me what I am doing wrong?
    Is my color correction so wrong? Am I doing really bad cuts? My sound sounds awful? Does my VFX look amateur?
    Is my face looking horrible on my social media????? I just can't think anything WHY this is so hard.
    WHY it is so hard to find a client? What can be done, deleted or changed? My website - http://www.arty-media.net/

I see movies coming out EVERY DAY, MILLIONS OF MILLIONS of videos EVERYWHERE I GO, and still, I CAN'T FIND THE CLIENTS??? I'm so frustrated... I had only 4 clients in a YEAR. They were really satisfied with the work I DID which makes me more confused, what's wrong?? Why I just can't find stability? I'm not asking for a big income, I just want to pay for my food and clothes!!! And I still can't do it for years and years!! Soon, there will be no one for me to ask for help as my parents getting really old and I've got no one to ask for help! I usually never write or tell this kind of things but this is too serious for me this time and I can't be ashamed.

I am even willing to pay % from my income for those who will help me to find clients or mentor me to this sphere. Just please help me to stop this everyday non stopping pain!!!

Are kindness and humanity left in this world? Please help, those, who understand. You have to be somewhere, this is my hope.

Have you considered getting a profile on upwork? I found a lot of clients there. Also eventually clients will find you there. I don't think there's anything wrong with your website. Maybe your marketing/sales approach though that is a topic to write books on :/. I may have some odd jobs now and then. I'll contact you in PM regarding that. <-- (Small update here, let me know if you've received that PM, I can't find it in my sent items for some reason)
    Last edited by Grapes; 01-07-2020 at 10:26 PM.
    The cats are watching us...

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Have you considered getting a profile on upwork? I found a lot of clients there. Also eventually clients will find you there. I don't think there's anything wrong with your website. Maybe your marketing/sales approach though that is a topic to write books on :/. I may have some odd jobs now and then. I'll contact you in PM regarding that. <-- (Small update here, let me know if you've received that PM, I can't find it in my sent items for some reason)
    Hello, thank you for your answer, Yes I do have fiver, could you look at my account and tell is anything I am doing wrong?

https://www.fiverr.com/artem3232

I am also on freelancer.com https://www.freelancer.com/u/zikuns

I am grateful for your help. I did not received any messages from you yet and I've tried to send you and it shows nothing in the sent mail as well, maybe we can use WhatsApp or something - +447378167190

Hi,

As a filmmaker with his own production company and more then 15 years of experience in various industries i can give you my two cents on this matter.

Regarding your website:
    1. A website means nothing, it's just a business card. You have to have it, but just because you made one, does not mean you will get clients. There are billions of websites. No one knows yours exist!
    2. A Dark theme will always attract LESS customers then a bright website. That is a statistical fact and that's why 99% of all big companies have bright design websites. Bright and colorful images attract more likes then dark and moody and same goes for websites.
    3. Your website is very basic. Simplicity is most of the time a good thing, but only if it is done in an elegant way. There is a difference between simplistic, but elegant and basic and plane.
    Conclusion - make a new website design. Make it bright and try to improve the feel of the website to present a more professional and high-end look. At the moment it feels low-end.

Regarding your showreel:
    1. I did not like your showreel. It felt very low production. You need to think about how you PRESENT YOUR COMPANY to the client.
    • When a client watches your showreel, they will try to identify with what you are showing them. The client thinks - is this a good representation of us? Do we think the filmmaker has decent sense of style and has he high enough skill to pull of what our needs are? Those are the questions clients have!

• With this reel you showed me what i can expect from you and i am sorry - it was low value.

2. Don't put clips with the pimple face guy in your showreel (if that's you - sorry). That's fine if you want to attract zero budget clients (some students with no money or something), but not if you want serious clients with serious money.
    3. I don't like the sudden, completely separate theme jump to that audio wave sequence with totally different music. What did you try to achieve with that? Nothing good - you showed me that i should not hire you, because you make erratic and weird decisions in your edits.
    4. Showing me in a showreeel how you edit some clips - what was the point of that? Why do you show me that? If i am a client - i don't care about that. All i want is the finished product, i don't care how you make it.
    5. You need to improve your decision making process on how you present yourself.
    6. Make a much better, more professional looking showreel.

Do you have statistics for your website? Do you even get traffic to it? Maybe you get like 2 people a month looking at your website? Of course you will not get any clients like that!
    What kind of marketing / advertising are you doing to spread the word that you are a production company? Facebook ads, Instagram ads, google ads?
    You will not get traffic on your website without marketing it. But i would not put high hopes on this approach!

Every filmmaker and production company will tell you that 90% of all clients come from WORD OF MOUTH marketing. Meaning - you do a good job with one client and then someone will ask him, who made that video for you and he will recommend you.
    That's how everyone gets the majority of clients.
    You can also use a very good client video you make and put that as an ad on youtube, facebook or IG. Use your work to get clients.

Also, what are YOU ACTIVELY doing get clients? Are you just sitting at home by the phone, hoping and praying that someone will call you out of the blue and offer you money? That will never happen!
    You need to FIND CLIENTS YOURSELF!

1. Make a MEDIA PACKET about your production company - a pdf file with info about who you are, what kind of work you do, add screengrabs or images of your BEST looking shots, add links to your videos, add descriptions etc. Add your reach - meaning - do you have social media followers or something that will help the client with marketing?
    2. Show the client YOUR VALUE that you bring to them!!! What are you offering that no one else is? What kind of problem can you solve for the client?
    3. Go on google and make a list of ALL the businesses in your area. Group them by industry. Example - restaurants, hotels, retailers, manufacturers, local government institutions, event planers etc... Get their contact info - google shit...
    4. Call or email every one on your list and be PROFESSIONAL, introduce yourself and explain what you are offering. Then ask if you have any need for your services and if they are willing to discuss things further.
    5. A client thinks only about their own needs - if they will spend money on you, will they be able to profit from that in some way? This presents many challenges and problems - are you someone who can deal with those challenges and fix those client problems? If yes, they will talk to you, if you don't show that you can, they will not work with you! Easy.

BE ACTIVE! Nothing will come to you if you only sit on your ass and wait. No one knows you exist ! Your job is to make the world know that you exist!

Once you get new clients, do a good job so that they can recommend you to other businesses and after a while you will get calls from clients.
    Last edited by RL_Sensei; 01-09-2020 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RL_Sensei View Post
    Every filmmaker and production company will tell you that 90% of all clients come from WORD OF MOUTH marketing. Meaning - you do a good job with one client and then someone will ask him, who made that video for you and he will recommend you.
    That's how everyone gets the majority of clients.
    That must make me the exception of the rule because I've never ever gotten a client that way. (or all my clients are secretly referring each other to me behind my back?)
    The cats are watching us...