Thread: Moment anamorphic lens

Default Moment anamorphic lens

The ridiculous cost and clunky workflow always puts me off getting anamorphic lenses. So I thought the Moment anamorphic lens would give me a cheap route. It's not bad!

Blog Entries

Marc,

I'm not sure if you're aware, but only viewing this in Chrome or the Beta Edge using Chromium browser provides the "Digital Spice" link to the Vimeo page. At least Firefox and "normal" Edge don't. It might be worth putting a url in the post so people using those browsers can see it in all its glory.

I'm downloading but I'll never be able to see it in all it's glory as even a UHD screen can't contain all the pixels. I suppose I'm asking "What's the point?", but that conveys a certain rudeness which i do not intend - it's a genuine question.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Actually it does look pretty awsome on my 1920 x 1200 monitor, but I'm not sure it wouldn't look every bit as good if you'd shot it 16:9 and cropped top & bottom
    Tim

Hi Tim, putting both your posts together there’s three aspects:

- limited future proofing - the videos will look better when I do finally get a UHD TV
    - downscaled UHD looks better than HD
    - without the converter I wouldn’t have got the lens flares you hate!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    Hi Tim, putting both your posts together there’s three aspects:

- limited future proofing - the videos will look better when I do finally get a UHD TV
    Why? It seems to me you will have a 3840x2160 image which you will have to squish down to 3840 x something less than 2160 in order to get the correct aspect ratio. In other words you are replaceing the pixels above and below the video with black and throwing away some of pixels in compressing it vertically.
    - downscaled UHD looks better than HD
    Agreed. And downscaled by exactly 50% on each axis results in a nice, mathematically sound squeeze.
    - without the converter I wouldn’t have got the lens flares you hate!
    Actually I quite liked them in this. Everything in moderation
    Tim

The lens squeezes the image in, which you then stretch out by changing the pixel aspect ratio. So all of the pixels are used.

Gave me flashbacks of a time when I made a video in a children's park and the police were called. I had to surrender my SD cards to be viewed by the police. I was videoing a kids toy and some mum there thought I was doing something else. It's amazing how police pounce on men with cameras, but if a woman was doing the same zero would happen.
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo

Blog Entries

The lens squeezes the image in, which you then stretch out by changing the pixel aspect ratio. So all of the pixels are used.
    Not sure where my reply to this went.

Assuming you are displaying on a UHD screen which has 2160 vertical pixels, you will have to leave a black/blank bar at top and bottom blank in order to view at the correct aspect ration. Therefore you are throwing away those pixels. Not at the point of capture, but at the point of display (or rendering for display)
    Tim

Agreed Tim! I realised that as I posted it...