Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making videos with multiple picture in picture. How to?

Default Making videos with multiple picture in picture. How to?

I posted these questions on another forum a couple of days ago but go no replies so please excuse me if you read this somewhere else, or if they are such a dumb questions it isn't worth answering as seems to be the case on the other forum

So know exactly what I want to do but have no real idea how to do it. And I'm a newbie to this. I've previously uploaded videos to youtube that were shot handheld on my phone but nothing more sophisticated than that.

I want to create educational videos like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy89K50Jdzc

In this case the engineer is using a camera looking down on his workbench plus at least 5 inserted Picture in Picture windows showing the following;

3x inset readouts from various test gear (top left)
    inset video of himself (top right)
    an onscreen oscilloscope app (bottom right from 12:34)
    view through microscope (full screen from 27:45)
    Internet Browser (component datasheets from 30:0

At times I want to switch the main background to the view from above my workbench, the view through my microscope, the view of my BGA rework machine (on a nearby work bench about 5m away) or the view of my Internet Browser (when looking at online datasheets). I will only ever need one of these at a time as the main background, I don't need them simultaneously, I just need to be able to switch easily between them.

It may be handy to be able to have an internet browser in an overlay window as well at times, with the workbench or microscope as background image.

I need to record clear sound of myself speaking, I don't need to insert music etc. I guess a headset microphone would be best, same as the guy in the example video?

Being able to add an intro screen/video and overlay contact details or add explanatory/errata text after recording and before uploading would also be desirable. Typical videos could be an hour, maybe more.

So that is what I need to do. Problem is I have no idea where to start, what hardware and software do I need?. Video switchers? Cameras? Capture cards?..... etc?

My microscope is trinocular simul-focal and already has a 21 Megapixel camera with HDMI output (and maybe USB as well). I have no other equipment. I have a few different computers, at least one i5 and one i7. I'm willing to build another PC specifically for this project if it is necessary.

Hopefully some folks here can advise on how to set up this sort of video studio and give an idea of what is the total cost going to come to?

Best regards

Blog Entries

Interesting. If you're trying to record several video/audio streams at once I can't really help, but you will need a capture card (or several) and some sort of switching software (I'm looking at vMix for cuing up and presenting diferent videos - a different application from yours and one for which vmix is an overkill, bt it may well suit you.

However, do you really need to record it all at the same time? You may get better results in recording each image separately then editing it together after the event. The big advantage of this is you only need concentrate on one element of the video at a time when recording. What's more you will only need one camera. Doing everything "live" means you have many things to concentrate on. and may result in a sub-par performance.

The downside is you cannot realistically show al aspects happening together in real time (unless you are really, really clever with timing and synchronisation) but does that really matter? Does it need to be a live demostration or does it need to educate?

I'm not trying to persuade you one way or the other - just to ask yourself the question.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Interesting. If you're trying to record several video/audio streams at once I can't really help, but you will need a capture card (or several) and some sort of switching software (I'm looking at vMix for cuing up and presenting diferent videos - a different application from yours and one for which vmix is an overkill, bt it may well suit you.

However, do you really need to record it all at the same time? You may get better results in recording each image separately then editing it together after the event. The big advantage of this is you only need concentrate on one element of the video at a time when recording. What's more you will only need one camera. Doing everything "live" means you have many things to concentrate on. and may result in a sub-par performance.

The downside is you cannot realistically show al aspects happening together in real time (unless you are really, really clever with timing and synchronisation) but does that really matter? Does it need to be a live demostration or does it need to educate?

I'm not trying to persuade you one way or the other - just to ask yourself the question.
    OK, so I don't know how this is being done which is why I asked here- whether several video sources are being recorded and overlayed 'live' (which is how it looks to me) or whether this is all recorded separately and being merged together into one video for publication, I havent' a clue. But synchronising is crucial here - so when he puts his meter probes to take a measurement, the corresponding readout in the overlay window reacts immediately. And heis doing maybe one 'live' video a day, possibly more.

This guy is clearly a repair tech so I can't believe it is so difficult to do this,maybe it just takes some know how and some financial investment in equipment?

I read through your reply again Tim. No you could not use only one camera. Yes it needs to be a 'live' demonstration

Whether all video streams are

1. being recorded at the same time onto one device (A PC most likely) using capture cards or similar, or
    2. several cameras are recording at the same time to individual media such as SD cards and all the videos are being combined afterwards...

I have no idea. I thought that is what you meant by your reply. I would think the first method is the most likely as it does not require production work after recording and if you watch these videos you will see they are not edited at all, for example if the guy gets disturbed by someone calling his phone or whatever while making a video.

So my question remains - how do I do this, and what hardware and software do I need?

5. Default

You're going to need several cameras and at least one HDMI capture device*. Syncing up the cameras isn't so bad because you can use the audio tracks. Clap once before a take and line up the clearly visible audio peak. On my music videos I have to fine tune the sync by eye because there are slight differences in how the audio aligns to the video on different cameras, but for your purposes it won't be that critical. Getting the HDMI feed synced would be slightly more challenging, but you should be able to make contact with a known good source of a signal a couple of times so you can align the appearance of the waveform with the video of the test lead touching the circuit.

Only the HDMI capture device would need to be connected to a computer.

Then it's just a matter getting and learning video editing software to achieve the insets. I use Vegas Pro 14, but any number of editors could do that.

*[Edit] I should have been more clear. I'm suggesting recording each source on its own device and combining them later. That's how I produce my multi-camera live music videos. Also, I've spent some time at an electronics bench using DMMs, signal generators, dual trace scopes etc., so I have a pretty good idea what you're trying to do.
    Last edited by bouldersoundguy; 12-14-2019 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    Only the HDMI capture device would need to be connected to a computer.

*[Edit] I should have been more clear. I'm suggesting recording each source on its own device and combining them later. That's how I produce my multi-camera live music videos. Also, I've spent some time at an electronics bench using DMMs, signal generators, dual trace scopes etc., so I have a pretty good idea what you're trying to do.

Thanks for the reply, your knowledge of what I want to achieve will help I am sure

The camera on the microscope is this one, and it says it will record to TF card as well as having HDMI and USB output. It is a C Mount camera.

Camera parameters:
    Using a 21 million pixel imported Panasonic CMOS image sensor;
    Using a 1/2.33-inch image sensor, the viewing angle is wider than 1/3 inch;
    HDMI 1080P 60 frame image output;
    USB free drive output 1080P 30 frame image output;
    One button freeze/thaw function;
    21 million pixel camera and 1080P video recording; photo size 5280x3960
    Electronic zoom function;
    Support manual/automatic exposure, exposure compensation value adjustment;
    Support manual / automatic white balance, red, green, blue adjustable;
    Provide 8 drawing lines, line color, thickness, and adjustable position;
    Provide center cross line display/close;
    Support TF card storage, maximum support 64GB;
    Support remote operation, the camera does not shake the image more clearly;
    Support Chinese and English menu language (default English);
    Support shutdown settings parameter saving;
    Sturdy metal casing;
    Specifications:
    Sensor: 1/2.33 inch Panasonic 21 million pixel CMOS sensor
    Pixel size: 1.34μm 1.34μm
    HDMI output: 1920*1080 60 frames
    USB output: 1920*1080/30 1280*720/30 640*480/30 320*240/30 (MJPG)
    Lens interface: C/CS

As I don't have any other cameras then I will need to buy some. What is recommended? Also as I don't have any software I need to get that as well. Possibly coming at this with no preconceived ideas or limitations of existing equipment, it makes things easier to set up?

The camera over my workbench and by the BGA machine probably need variable zoom. Als o Ihave to open browser windows for component datasheets during the video so I need to capture that as well

Can you recommend a shopping list?

Thanks

7. Default

I picked up a couple of Sony CX240 camcorders and a CX405 camcorder at the local pawn shop for not too much money. They're almost identical except the 405 has a greater wide/zoom range. All record to micro SD cards. You'll also need tripods etc. You might want one or two of those flexible arm clamps, which are made with either GoPro style attachment or standard 1/4" 20TPI camera mount. GoPro cameras might be worth considering, but they have very wide angle fixed lenses which give a very obvious fisheye result if you don't run them through a filter (in post production) to straighten them out.

I haven't done screen capture in years so I'm out of that loop, but I used to use Camtasia.

The more I look at these videos the more I don't think he does it that way

I think he is...
    Using HDMI capture or USB input for the main overhead video from the workbench or the microscope as the desktop background image. Then he has a HDMI or DVI video switch to select the required input at any given time or can open the web browser or oscilloscope app as main desktop or as a window as required.
    Using something like multiple webcams to get the video from the test equipment readouts and for the view of himself (this does not need to be hi res for the test equipment and does not need to be high frame rate either)

Then he uses some screen grab/recording app to create the video with all the overlaid cameras/windows ready for upload - or if one PC is not powerful enough to capture and record all that then he feeds the HDMI/DVI output of one PC with all the cameras into a HDMI/DVI capture card on another PC and records the desktop on that one - plus feed his microphone into that second PC as well

Would that work?
    Last edited by peligroraton; 12-14-2019 at 11:09 PM.

Here is another video from the same guy - look from 01:30 onwards you can see at least three of his cameras pointing at the bench PSU and mulltimeter. The whole 10 mins video shows a lot of the camera setup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ4be5-MUZU

I know the camera above the bench is a GoPro as he sometimes mentions it and also on some videos the GoPro freezes when he powers up some other equipment and he keeps talking for a couple of minutes then notices his GoPro froze and reboots it. In a later video he mentions getting some shielded USB leads to try fix that problem

Also on some videos he will forget to switch from the main workbench view to the microscope view and talk for a while and then say 'Oh! sorry you can't see' and switch to the microscope. So he is clearly doing all this live, not in post production
    There is a repeating tunnel effect is in this video at 10:25 and I can see now the tunnel window says OBS 18.0.1 on the top bar. Google says that is OBS Studio, so I may have answered my own question here?

10. Default

There may be webcast software that can do this, which would be fine. Doing it in post would mean more work, but you'd never forget to switch the view (though you might forget to start a camera instead).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast