Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brighton International Festival of Choirs

Blog Entries

Default Brighton International Festival of Choirs

My sister gave up her full time job to concentrate on organising the first ever Brighton International Festival of Choirs with entrepreneur Cliff van Tonder and asked me to put together a promo. After a bit of planning and discussion (which was mainly me showing her other promos and therefore convincing her that one minute was plenty long enough for the information that needed to be conveyed - especially if they wanted anyone to watch it I persuaded fellow video club member Geoff to spend a day with me in Brighton, gathering appropriate shots.

We waited for a suitably sunny day and traipsed down there - Geoff with his GH5 and me acting as carrier, script supervisor (we had a long list of possible shots) spotter and director.

I did a rough edit, incorporated a bit of choir footage from various sources (with permission - thanks in particular to fellow club member Allan and Sutton Coldfield member Jill) called in my sister for some decisions then added a bit of spit & polish and this is what we have:

(Music by permission Boosey & Hawkes)

Comments welcomed (bear in mind it's not my YouTube account so keep anything on the YT page clean!)
    Last edited by TimStannard; 12-10-2019 at 07:12 PM.
    Tim

Hey man that looks good I think. My hesitance comes from the fact that I personally don't quite like the style you've gone with, however I have the feeling this was done very deliberately. I'll try to explain. To me it looks like a live action version of a specific style of "Greetings from..." postcard that has been around t least since the 80's and for some reason is still prevalent today. The whole collaging of shots, the font, even the way the font enters, the ending explosion and the almost chaotic approach to colour, all adds to that effect. At the beginning this threw me off until my mind gradually matched the look to the postcards I mentioned. This makes me think that it's a deliberate look to create a "Greetings from Brighton!" card/video.
    If that is the angle I think it's masterfully done. If that's not the angle it might be nice to know there's a chance that this may appeal to the audience that loves those greeting cards.
    All in all the editing is solid and there's definitely a style there. Length wise it also gets a thumbs up from me, I love short and to the point
    The cats are watching us...

I like it. I think it achieves the goal of enticing people to attend the event.

Blog Entries

Thanks Grapes - got it in one!

I showed the client (my sister and the entrepreneur) something I'd made in a similar style when I was pushing my knowledge of Vegas 10 years ago. I was trying to get a feeling of - if not chaos, certainly "busyness" and used split screen there. It wasn't nearly as "postcardy" and is predominantly coloured in the colours of the event/charity it was about and is, in my mind, somewhat more tasteful than this as a result. (If you're interested it's here)

The client liked that a and we decided to make it more obviously postcard. I understand that some people don't like that, but it is in keeping with the seaside theme.

I don't generally like split screens for the very reason we used it here - one doesn't know where to focus one's attention. But that's the point: there's nothing really specific in those split screen shots - they are designed to give a feel: seaside merchandise, some choirs, seaside, rather than a focus. The focus will hopefully be on the words (at least, I hope the viewer gets some inkling of what the video's promoting).

The cacophony of colour very much reflects Cliff's colourful character (though, even when dressing in bright colours, he dresses rather more tastefully) and also the fact that the launch of the festival coincides with the launch of another of Cliff's ventures - a community choir for LGBT people, called - wait for it - the Rainbow Choir! Of course, the viewer doesn't know that but it is very much at the forefront of Cliff's (and my sister's) mind.

This was my first (and to date only "proper") project in DaVinci Resolve, with the exploding "confetti" at the end done in HitFilm Pro.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Thanks, Ray, for taking the time to watch, and your encouraging words
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Thanks Grapes - got it in one!

I showed the client (my sister and the entrepreneur) something I'd made in a similar style when I was pushing my knowledge of Vegas 10 years ago. I was trying to get a feeling of - if not chaos, certainly "busyness" and used split screen there. It wasn't nearly as "postcardy" and is predominantly coloured in the colours of the event/charity it was about and is, in my mind, somewhat more tasteful than this as a result. (If you're interested it's here)

The client liked that a and we decided to make it more obviously postcard. I understand that some people don't like that, but it is in keeping with the seaside theme.

I don't generally like split screens for the very reason we used it here - one doesn't know where to focus one's attention. But that's the point: there's nothing really specific in those split screen shots - they are designed to give a feel: seaside merchandise, some choirs, seaside, rather than a focus. The focus will hopefully be on the words (at least, I hope the viewer gets some inkling of what the video's promoting).

The cacophony of colour very much reflects Cliff's colourful character (though, even when dressing in bright colours, he dresses rather more tastefully) and also the fact that the launch of the festival coincides with the launch of another of Cliff's ventures - a community choir for LGBT people, called - wait for it - the Rainbow Choir! Of course, the viewer doesn't know that but it is very much at the forefront of Cliff's (and my sister's) mind.

This was my first (and to date only "proper") project in DaVinci Resolve, with the exploding "confetti" at the end done in HitFilm Pro.
    Well in that case it's masterfully done and I feel it's totally fitting the seaside theme like you mention. I'm indeed aware of that older video you did (I think you mentioned it before somewhere in the past few years I've been hanging around on this forum) and this one indeed instantly reminded me of it as well .
    The cats are watching us...

I did look at it on YouTube, lots of work going on here, tight with the music. I just hope those who have this are appreciative of the efforts. I do laugh how you waited for a Sunny day, yes that did pop out in the video. I'm not a fan of split screens but they are good for getting lots of visuals in to a short piece and can be great for getting a better tight shot of some loose shot footage.
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo

Blog Entries

Cheers rollingstock. Yep, all those reasons and more ....
    Tim

Good stuff Tim, successfully executed though i was rather hoping for a couple of shots from the nudist beach .. does that still exist?

strange thing near the end, the list of sponsors at the bottom appear pixilated for a couple of seconds before becoming clear !?
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    strange thing near the end, the list of sponsors at the bottom appear pixilated for a couple of seconds before becoming clear !?
    yeah. I think that's a YouTube processing thing to do with the fact the "confetti" effect is so "busy". Original is fine (but it melted my PC for two hours whilst rendering just that segment).
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast