Thread: Panasonic AVCHD Problem Windows 10 PC

Default Panasonic AVCHD Problem Windows 10 PC

Hi,

I'm pretty new to using my Panasonic HC-X1 and have been experiencing a strange problem with using the AVCHD footage from it.

I edited a couple of quick projects on Vegas a month or two ago and everything worked fine. However, I went to start editing a new project shot on the same camera in the same 1080p 50fps AVCHD format and the footage wasn't importing properly from the memory card. It imported the MTS files onto my hard drive but the clips weren't appearing in my bin. When I then tried to bring them into my timeline from the hard drive instead only the audio track would appear.

I was first worried my footage or card was corrupted but later realised that now none of my old AVCHD projects would play the footage I'd previously worked with either! The audio works on the MTS files imported through Vegas but the video tracks have all been disabled from every project on my system using AVCHD files from the camera.

I've complained to Magix about Vegas and they've been looking into it to no avail.

Another twist in the tale - I tried installing Avid Media Composer First (the 'lite' free version) on my system to test that and again the AVCHD files wouldn't work. So it appears to be a system issue rather than a Vegas specific issue.

But what makes this even more strange is that both VLC and Windows Media Player will play the MTS files saved on the hard drive without issue.

I can transcode the files using VLC and edit using these converted files, but I'd rather not have to do that all the time and I'm frustrated about my old projects not working anymore.

It's so strange and I wondered if anyone had any idea what might be causing the problem.

I'm not aware of any major changes to my system other than maybe a Windows 10 update. I tried updating my graphics card driver and updated Windows again, but no change.

System details:
    OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home N
    Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363
    System Name DESKTOP-LP7L625
    System Manufacturer ASUS
    System Type x64-based PC
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB

Thanks

David

I'm having more or less similar issues with MXF files my client sent me recently so I'm linking myself to this thread in the hopes that any given tips may solve mine as well.
    The cats are watching us...

Blog Entries

Sorry this isn't any help but I also have an X1 and use Vegas. I've never recorded in AVCHD on it though so I thought i'd give it a go. No problem importing into my Vegas Pro 16. Neither have I with the MP4s I shoot.

Out of interest, why are you shooting AVCHD as opposed to the MP4?

Barry Green has an excellent ebook out there on th Panasonic UX90/UX180 which is fundamentally the same camera as the HC-X1. In a lengthy discussion about recording formats he includes the following:

Recording Formats - Finally, there’s the question of what file format
    you want your footage recorded in. There are three choices (MP4, MOV,
    and AVCHD). There’s no quality difference between the MP4 and the
    MOV; the codec is the same, the recorded footage is the same. AVCHD
    has its own bitrates, frame sizes, and frame rates as part of its package.
    So the question really is: how are you going to edit the footage? If you’re
    a Macintosh user, you probably want to use the MOV file format for
    all your HD and UHD/4K shooting. If you’re a Windows user, you may
    prefer to use the MP4 format for your HD and UHD/4K shooting.
    As for AVCHD, it’s mainly used for times when you need the longest
    possible recording times on your memory cards. Or, potentially, if you’re
    going to be uploading the footage to the internet, and accordingly you
    need the smallest file sizes possible. Or, perhaps if you’re going to be
    turning the footage over to someone else to edit, and you don’t know
    whether their editing system can handle the large file sizes and bitrates
    of the MP4/MOV modes. AVCHD is an extremely well-established file
    format supported by all major nonlinear editing programs, so you can
    be sure that just about anyone should be able to properly edit AVCHD
    footage.

Which suggests to me that the higher bit-rate MP4 formats are more suited to post production (logical as there's more information in the file). As I use this camera mainly in 4K (for filming stage productions wide with the flexibility to crop to quarter size without loss of quality when delivering in 1080 - or DVD) I don't have AVCHD as an option.

Vegas and DaVici Resolve have both handled the footage for me without any glitches.
    Tim

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. I realise I can shoot on MP4 or MOV instead and it looks like I should go that route, but the problem is mainly bothering me because AVCHD did work fine at first but has stopped working all of a sudden. I think the solution will be to do a system restore to last month when everything was fine. Someone suggested it on another forum. I didn't realise you could do that on a PC without making a backup (I've been using almost solely Macs for the past decade so I'm out of touch).

I shot on AVCHD originally as it uses half the space and I was shooting full length gigs on it that didn't need to be exported at a particularly high quality. I never had an issue editing AVCHD on Final Cut Pro X on my Mac, which is what I used to work on until recently. So it's just bugging me really. If I need to switch formats or convert before it's not the end of the world.

Thanks again for your help though.

David

I've fixed it!

I'd tried a simple uninstall and re-install without success pretty early on, but today I did an extremely thorough erase of the programme, getting rid of every trace on my hard drive, along with all other Magix video software I had on the system and even cleaned the registry and it works again!

God knows what happened and whether it will happen again, but for the time being it works.

Blog Entries

Glad you got it sorted. Bit of a pain though and I guess we'll never know exactly where the problem lay.
    Tim