Thread: Wild Nevada 2019

Default Wild Nevada 2019

This video showcases some of the fantastic scenery and amazing wildlife that I saw in Nevada.

This is the seventh in a series of videos from my 2019 trip, where I explored old mines, mining camps, ghost towns and other historic sites in Nevada and the Mojave desert.

Music:
    “Native American Flute Solo” by Art-of-Sound
    Licensed by AudioJungle
    https://audiojungle.net/item/native-american-flute/4924224

Blog Entries

Very enjoyable. A lot of drone footage, but wholly justified. Those rolling shots over the flat terrain really help emphasize the scale and the little lift towards the end of some of these shots emphazies it even more. I also enjoyed the straight downward facing shot showing the shadows cast by the setting sun. I'm a sucker for time lapsed starry skies too and the storm was an unexpected bonus.
    Of course the longhorn shot was a gift - we'd all love to have a shot like that to put in a film. The orbiting shot might have been a bit smoother but, hey, I doubt i could get a drone off the ground!
    Commentary was gentle and informed without being overly "educational".
    It's not easy coming up with a structure for a film like this and though you've done a good job I found it still a bit of a collection of shorts rather than a flowing narrative. This may be in part because you move from an active, personal voice ("what I love best about this beautiful state") at the beginning into a more passive, descriptive voice ("butterflies, bees and many other small wonders abound") Don't get me wrong, your script is very good - it just works for me best when it's personal (and emotional).
    But i've watched it twice now, so can't be all bad
    Tim

Thanks Tim, I appreciate your comments! I agree about the switch from active to passive voice. That's something I really need to work on -- for some reason I have a hard time remembering to use active voice.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Dunakin View Post
    for some reason I have a hard time remembering to use active voice.
    Me too. I think it's quite common. When I'm writing commentary (rare) or appraisals/critques (in a more formal setting than bashing something out in this forum), I generally write it first and on at least one of my passes look speifically for passive voice (and past tense - I like to use present wherever possible) otherwise I miss them
    Tim

5. Default

I think the narration is fine, but I wonder if it would be worth posting an alternate version with only the music and with super subdued titles. In that form it would be a really nice addition to a meditative/ambient playlist, sort of a visual equivalent to chamber music. It's already something of a known genre on YouTube.