Thread: What can I do to brighten or otherwise improve an area of my video recording?

Question What can I do to brighten or otherwise improve an area of my video recording?

Hi,
    I recorded a clip of our band's concert performance, but the end result is very dark in parts, particularly the lower section of the video - you can't make out the musicians at all. Playing with brightness & contrast controls does not lead to satisfactory improvements. What can I do, and what tools could I use, to improve this video? Two screenshots attached.
    vlcsnap-2019-11-25-09h36m44s604.jpgvlcsnap-2019-11-25-09h39m18s647.jpg
    I have OpenShot Video Editor and Avidemux. Those only seem to have options to edit the overall video, not just parts of the screen.
    Many thanks in advance for any help!
    Stefan

2. Default

My editor is Magix Vegas Pro 14. I would probably use the Color Curves effect to manipulate the contrast in a way that a simple linear brightness/contrast control can't do. If that didn't do it I might resort to something using masking, but I don't think that would give a satisfactory result. Either way, bringing up the underexposed part of the image is likely to show some compression artifacts or noise. I don't know if your software has an effect like this.

video brightness adjustment fixed.jpg
    color curves example.jpg

I would have a look at da Vinci Resolve, pretty sure Iíve seen people demonstrating selective editing of parts of the image.