Thread: Buying new camera and getting focus right?

Default Buying new camera and getting focus right?

Hi Everyone,

For a couple of years I'm shooting with the GH4 and willing to upgrade since this year. I was waiting for the new Sony A7Siii, but it may take quite a bit longer than expected.
    I was thinking of getting the A7iii, use that for a year and then maybe upgrade to the later Sony model.

For directed content I'm quite happy with the GH4, but for the 'run and gun work' (on a gimbal) I'm struggling with getting focus right, lot's of times focus looks good on the screen while recording (focus is easier to achieve when not recording since it zooms), but it's off when looking at my laptop monitor. Is this something which people think is better viewable on the Sony, or do I need to look at a seperate monitor? The latter is not my preferred option, since it adds more weight to the already heavy Ronin-S I'm using a lot for that type of work.
    Also the better autofocus of the Sony would help, but it can jump from the subject.

Hopefully you guys can help me out a bit.

Cheers!

Don't you use focus peaking? I assume the GH4 has that? I've used the a7iii a couple of times without a gimbal relying only on body and lens stabilisation which was enough for me. Saves a bit of weight as well. But that aside I simply used the focus peaking to find the focus manually. Works like a charm. You simply pull until your subject gets a red outline and then you stop.
    The cats are watching us...