Thread: DaVinci Resolve

1. Default DaVinci Resolve

A friend of mine in distant parts is considering upgrading his very basic video editing programme to DaVinci Resolve and asked my opinion. Thought I would take a look at it. I downloaded and installed with no problem but (apart from once) it wont open up. General opinion is that my PC is not up to it.

Now Iím a total numbskull on the matters of PC specs so I attach a printout of my machineís specs that was built for me about 5 years ago. Just looking at this is too much for my aged brain. Is there anyone knowledgeable enough to tell me if my machine in not adequate enough and what would be needed to bring up to scratch to run DaVinci Resolve. Iíve no intention to actually use DaVinci Resolve as Iíve been happy enough with the various versions of Premiere for the past 20 years.
    Many thanks.
    Wynn.

PC specs.jpg
    Last edited by Wynn Stedders; 11-15-2019 at 10:20 AM. Reason: error

Blog Entries

Hi Wynn,
    It's easy to say the PC isn't up to it. You buy a more powerful PC and it works - there you go - that's proof.
    Except it isn't.
    Whilst editing might not be silky smooth on that spec, I would expect it to at least load. More likely there's some sort of compatability issue. And I'm wondering about the Matrox card.....
    Tim

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Hi Wynn,
    It's easy to say the PC isn't up to it. You buy a more powerful PC and it works - there you go - that's proof.
    Except it isn't.
    Whilst editing might not be silky smooth on that spec, I would expect it to at least load. More likely there's some sort of comparability issue. And I'm wondering about the Matrox card.....
    Well thanks Tim. Sadly the genius, Ringo, who worked for the now defunct DVC who built the machine and who answered every query over the phone - even whilst he was in the kitchen making the coffee, is no longer available.
    It's not the end of the world if the problem can't be resolved, I'm more than happy with what I've got.
    Thanks again.
    Wynn

Blog Entries

Ah yes, the demise of a company with a niche market who were very highly thought of among club members in the South who one would have thought would continue to flourish. I never used them but know many who swore by them. Perhaps they were too helpful.

Have you tried the DaVinci forums? The problem with agreeing to look into something for a friend is you can end up owning the problem as I fear is the danger here.
    Tim

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Ah yes, the demise of a company with a niche market who were very highly thought of among club members in the South who one would have thought would continue to flourish. I never used them but know many who swore by them. Perhaps they were too helpful.

Have you tried the DaVinci forums? The problem with agreeing to look into something for a friend is you can end up owning the problem as I fear is the danger here.
    Thanks for your further thoughts Tim. I learnt that my friend had not tried to download DaVinci so I told him I had uninstalled it from my machine and advised him to do a search for free programmes. I suggested Hit Film Express as it's frequently mentioned here. He tried this and it would not download as his machine wasn't up to spec. Further investigation revealed it only had 3GB of memory. As of now he is pondering his options.
    Thanks again for your replies. Wynn.