Thread: The Mourning Path Short film and OST

Default The Mourning Path Short film and OST

Hi all,I just want to present my latest work:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTpJ1dkhuUcit's a shortfilm with dark ambient electronic soundtrack:"The Mourning Path" is an indipendent short movie realised by the Sardinian artists Mebitek and JeleRaus.It is the story, and the point of view, of a young woman, Kate, who experienced her greatest loss: her life - but also the loss of all those painful episodes which mark each and every existance - letting them go by facing them one last time.Her path to oblivion, strongly desired, is marked by the encounter with her most oppressive obsessions and sufferings, which are personified, anthropomorphised, a quintessence of desperation.The last Boss, exactly as inside a videogame, represents the Electra complex, not in a Freudian point of view, but mostly in a literary sense.In this work, identity - art - technology are inextricably intertwined: in fact the art medium used is technology itself, especially in the editing phase, in which this aspect played an essential role, without which the objective wouldn't have been reached.Here, identities represented by the artistic medium are more than one: the woman, seen as a daughter, as a protagonist, as a desperate and strong entity, but hopefully never stereotyped; the father, who is also represented in many different ways within the project; the entities and identities which personify everyone's life phases, framed in an unsettling but at the same time liberating scenography. But in a way it also represents a community of people's identity, whose shared imagines and beliefs shaped a collective imagination which can be represented and read in multiple ways.Therefore, this project is a manifestation of the union between identity - art - technology.feedbacksa re really welcome on both video and soundtrackregards from sardiniaClaudio

I was going to comment on your video but see that you haven't commented on anyone elses. May be commenting on others work would encourage others to comment on your work. It's a two way street.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I was going to comment on your video but see that you haven't commented on anyone elses. May be commenting on others work would encourage others to comment on your work. It's a two way street.
    thx for your tip! I'll try
    and thx for had a look to my work

I see a lot of thought and work has gone into this piece. I respect anyone who make the effort to produce something like this. I'm not a special effects expert so don't feel qualified to speek about them except perhaps making the girl leaving the body at 1:38mins semi transparent. It's what I would have done anyway. At first I was anoyed that I couldn't hear the words of the farther but now understand they are just part of the background and are not nessesary. The rest of the audio, I thought was good.

As a matter of personal taste, I think you went a bit too far with the LUTS/grading at the beginning and would have waited until the fantasy scenes for the more extreme colour grading. I thought you did well with conveying the story, which I followed without reading your explanation first. If you have interchangeable lens, shooting close up with a wide angle, could have helped to express the disorientation in some of the fantasy scene shots. I thought you did a great job with the wardrobe/costumes. I can't imagine how horrible it must have been to wash off all that glitter.

Editing wise, as is usually the case and I am definitely guilty of this, the piece could and should have been a bit shorter. This could easily be done by chopping bits off most of the scenes. Example the little girl scene around 8:38mins. Nice two shot, cut to a close up of the hands, standing up, then starting to walk away from the camera. All good but did we really need the standing up shot. You then cut to a close up from the front walking towards the camera then a the walking way from the camera was held too long before the next shot of the young woman leaving the little girl. Did we really then need to see a close up of the little girl just because the effect on her looked good. I you really want to use that shot you could have cut straight to the fire man scene without the other front and back shot of the young woman. Making these editing decisions makes all the difference. Your use of glitches etc was very well done. You have a great variety of shots and cutting to similar shots could be cut a little. I felt the pace needed to be a bit quicker in parts. Especially the beginning. You established the scene very well and the viewer quickly gets what's going on so I felt you lingered a little to long before moving the story on.

I think you did a great job, well done.

Hello Mebitec,

I too think your video is very well done indeed and is the perfect length, just enough to put all the necessary symbolism in make to find the point between hell and heaven. May I suggest (if you haven't done this already) to go to https://www.wooloo.org/ and submit it to the art calls there. One I would mention in particular would Art Miden in Greece and ask Margarita Stavraki to look at your work, my video "The story of the industrial leotard" is in their permanent collection, she is a very approachable curator.

Keep at it and find your inspiration on the other side of the software.

Cheers and thanks - J

Quote Originally Posted by JemRaid View Post
    Hello Mebitec,

I too think your video is very well done indeed and is the perfect length, just enough to put all the necessary symbolism in make to find the point between hell and heaven. May I suggest (if you haven't done this already) to go to https://www.wooloo.org/ and submit it to the art calls there. One I would mention in particular would Art Miden in Greece and ask Margarita Stavraki to look at your work, my video "The story of the industrial leotard" is in their permanent collection, she is a very approachable curator.

Keep at it and find your inspiration on the other side of the software.

Cheers and thanks - J
    thanks so much for your tips! really appreciated!

Blog Entries

A great piece of work or a load of pretentious nonsense? I've no idea. I simply don't "get" it.

This may well be my problem - I don't "get" poetry. Give me a piece of prose and I can get story, information, impression, emotion, meaning and sub-text from it. Stick the same words in a poem and, no matter how much I might want to understand or how much I try and how hard I work, I just seem to switch off. The poem at the beginning here illustrates this. I listened/watched it four times with the sole intention of hearing and undersanding and each time I found my mind had wandered before it reached the end. This is not areflection on the poem or on your film, just an illustatio of how I have a mental block when it comes to poety.

I think my understanding of films like this suffers in the same way. Having said that, I have seen pieces like this that really do move me (as well as the occasional poem) so there might be hope for me.

What I will say is that if your approach to film making is anything like your post at the top of this thread, then I'm not surprised I cannot understand it. Where are the paragraphs? Where is the space to breathe? Reading that text is extremely hard work.

Against all this, the only think I can really contribute from a film making point of view is the final shot didn't lead us anywhere - as a director it is your duty to direct the audiences attention - this was rather like the shots wandering aimlessly around a city scene in a rather poor home movie Then again, I've probaly missed the poetry in it..
    Tim