Thread: Where is the date and time of the original video?

Default Where is the date and time of the original video?

I have a 13 GB avi file that was copied from an old MiniDV tape. I was wondering:

• I suppose that the date and time when the video was filmed is somewhere in that file, but how can I see them? It's not being displayed in VLC, under Tools/Media Information. Will a standard video editing software show them?

• When I convert that file into a compressed format like MPEG, will the original date and time be retained and accessible or could it be lost?

Thanks in advance for any help with these questions!

2. Default

I think if the date and time were embedded in the original tape it was in a format that's not retained during transfer.

Thanks for your answer.

If I put my tape in the camcorder (now half-broken and barely working...) I can see the original date and time of each clip. Since MiniDV uses a digital format already, I suppose that this information is also in the file that was copied from there.

I suppose I would be able to see that information in a proper video editing software, but I still haven't decided which one I should go for (advice welcome!).

Quote Originally Posted by Orologos View Post
    I suppose I would be able to see that information in a proper video editing software, but I still haven't decided which one I should go for (advice welcome!).
    Not necessarily, on import it generally gets transcoded and it might get lost during that process. IF it is preserved you should be able to find it with MediaInfo: https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

If you're going to edit professionally and/or feel like investing some time you should definitely give DaVinci Resolve a try. It has a free version. Same goes in broad lines for Hitfilm Express which often gets coined on these forums as well. If you have Adobe experience and don't mind paying the monthly fee it might be an option to go with Adobe's offerings but honestly in today's market Adobe is starting to lose following fast a.f.a.i.k.
    Last edited by Grapes; 10-28-2019 at 05:23 PM.
    The cats are watching us...

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Not necessarily, on import it generally gets transcoded and it might get lost during that process. IF it is preserved you should be able to find it with MediaInfo: https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Thanks a lot for the tip! With MediaInfo I could see a "recorded date", which is correct from what I've seen in the camcorder. Unfortunately, since the tape was made into a single file, there is only the date for the first clip (at least I think that's the reason). I will now ask the professional who created the file from the tape if he can create one file per clip, so that each can have its own date and time. Fingers crossed...

If you're going to edit professionally and/or feel like investing some time you should definitely give DaVinci Resolve a try. It has a free version. Same goes in broad lines for Hitfilm Express which often gets coined on these forums as well. If you have Adobe experience and don't mind paying the monthly fee it might be an option to go with Adobe's offerings but honestly in today's market Adobe is starting to lose following fast a.f.a.i.k.

My needs are very basic (converting to MPEG, simple edits, maybe a title) and since I have some experience with Adobe - in photography only, I'm new to video - I was thinking of going for Premiere Elements. But I will have a look at the names you mention. Thanks again!

Thanks a lot for the tip! With MediaInfo I could see a "recorded date", which is correct from what I've seen in the camcorder. Unfortunately, since the tape was made into a single file, there is only the date for the first clip (at least I think that's the reason). I will now ask the professional who created the file from the tape if he can create one file per clip, so that each can have its own date and time. Fingers crossed...

My needs are very basic (converting to MPEG, simple edits, maybe a title) and since I have some experience with Adobe - in photography only, I'm new to video - I was thinking of going for Premiere Elements. But I will have a look at the names you mention. Thanks again!
    1. That sounds promising!

2. Try HitFilm Express that should be just as intuitive as Premiere and is free.
    The cats are watching us...

2. Try HitFilm Express that should be just as intuitive as Premiere and is free.
    That looks really interesting, I'll give it a try before I spend any money. Thanks again!

Blog Entries

That looks really interesting, I'll give it a try before I spend any money. Thanks again!
    Bear in mind HitFilm is primarily a compositer (ie effects) but it does contain a perfectly competent editor. I'm only warning you because it's very easy to get distracted and start playing with all the toys it contains
    Tim