Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: davinci resolve performance??

Default davinci resolve performance??

Hi All,
    New to this forum and to video editing.

Bought a Gopro black 7 a few months ago. Tried some editing on my Surface pro tablet but that was a disaster, so I decided to buy a good PC.

I now have a HP Elite Powerstation. i7 processor, 3.2 GHz, 32 Gb internal RAM, 256G SSD drive (+1T HDD), and an Nvidia GeForce RTX2080 graphics card.

I'm editing a video. which is 1080p 60FPS, but my project setting is 1080 24FPS. All video is on the SSD.

Did not apply any effects or colour yet, I'm just cutting clips but the performance is terrible. It will play ok for some time but then the image freezes for seconds while the audio keeps playing. I get flashes of video once every 3-4 seconds. It's really impossible to edit the video this way.

As my system is brand new (running Windows 10 btw) and specially bought for video editing I'm really surprised and frustrated. A PC like this should be able to edit a few simple clips right?

Anybody can tell what is going wrong?

Many thanks
    Bas

You should definitely be able to use those specs to edit video on. I know Resolve is apparently a bit power hungry but I bet your system should be able to handle it. My bet is that there's something wrong with the settings or the workflow or both. Now I don't have any personal experience with Resolve yet but what can be a problem with other editors is having your scratch disks and footage on the same disk as your OS. It's nice to have scratch disks on an SSD but ideally you want a dedicated SSD for that. Other than that there may be something in Resolve's settings that needs to be tweaked. Maybe one of the other board members with Resolve can help you out there.
    The cats are watching us...

You should definitely be able to use those specs to edit video on. I know Resolve is apparently a bit power hungry but I bet your system should be able to handle it. My bet is that there's something wrong with the settings or the workflow or both. Now I don't have any personal experience with Resolve yet but what can be a problem with other editors is having your scratch disks and footage on the same disk as your OS. It's nice to have scratch disks on an SSD but ideally you want a dedicated SSD for that. Other than that there may be something in Resolve's settings that needs to be tweaked. Maybe one of the other board members with Resolve can help you out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Thanks. I have 1 SSD and 1 HDD, my thinking was it would be better to store the project I'm working on on the SDD (where the OS is as well of course).
    Or do you think it's better to use the HDD for that?

I can try and see if it makes a difference of course.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bas68 View Post
    Thanks. I have 1 SSD and 1 HDD, my thinking was it would be better to store the project I'm working on on the SDD (where the OS is as well of course).
    Or do you think it's better to use the HDD for that?

I can try and see if it makes a difference of course.

Thanks again.

Well in my experience with other programs it is indeed better to put that on the HDD in that case. You may even want to split the HDD into partitions so you have a clean dedicated partition for that ut for now I think it's easiest to just try and see of using the HDD for project storage will speed things up.

Well in my experience with other programs it is indeed better to put that on the HDD in that case. You may even want to split the HDD into partitions so you have a clean dedicated partition for that ut for now I think it's easiest to just try and see of using the HDD for project storage will speed things up.
    I moved all my edit files to the HDD. It's not better, I think a bit worse. It's very hard to edit like this.
    Anybody else has any ideas?

I will to to create the optimized playback files, but I was hoping that with a system like this it's not needed..

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bas68 View Post
    I was hoping that with a system like this it's not needed.
    I am quite certain it is not the system. It's a shame none of the Resolve users from this forum have pitched in, perhaps you can check on a Resolve dedicated forum? Do report back here if you happen to find your answer elsewhere. That can help others.

Blog Entries

It's a shame none of the Resolve users from this forum have pitched in,
    I'm hardly a resolve user - one short project and several tests, but with my core i7 5th Gen CPU (hex core), 32GB RAM and an AMD R9 390 I've happily edited 1080P 50 footage. Program and footage on separate SSDs. It struggled a bit with a 4 way split screen with colour correction.
    From recollection I think I did muck around with the quality depending on whether I was working on image quality or timing.
    Tim

Blog Entries

It's a shame none of the Resolve users from this forum have pitched in,
    I'm hardly a resolve user - one short project and several tests, but with my core i7 5th Gen CPU (hex core), 32GB RAM and an AMD R9 390 I've happily edited 1080P 50 footage. Program and footage on separate SSDs. It struggled a bit with a 4 way split screen with colour correction.
    From recollection I think I did muck around with the preview quality depending on whether I was working on image quality or timing, but I expect to do that anyway.
    Tim

Hello all,

Because I read this thread I had a go with Resolve and found it a bit like The Gimp ... bloatware.
    I use Cyberlink PD14 (40) which I've never had a problem with. Free trials on their site.

Here's a little 1 min clip

I use a PC I made for 250

Cheers

[edit] Ohh and here's a screen shot of the PD14 desktop.

Bickham.jpg
    Last edited by JemRaid; 11-08-2019 at 11:33 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast