Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Is the Macbook Pro 128GB SSD Suitable for video editing?

  1. #1

    Default Is the Macbook Pro 128GB SSD Suitable for video editing?

    Hi folks, I'm new to this site. I'm starting a new you tube channel which will require me to buy a new laptop and do a bit of editing weekly. Putting together 10-12 minute clips. I'll probably use Adobe Premier Pro. I'm looking to get a 13" Macbook Pro 128GB SSD because Macbook's are generally known to perform well for this type of stuff.

    This is the device

    https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

    Does anyone see any performance issues with this device? Thanks in advance people!!
    Last edited by Bossman; 10-19-2019 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Some grammatical errors in the original post

  2. #2

    Default

    Generally the Pro range is suitable. 13" is going to be a pain though and the storage size is laughable... anyway if you're not bound to the brand you can expect to buy better hardware for the money buying something like a Thinkpad.
    The cats are watching us...

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Generally the Pro range is suitable. 13" is going to be a pain though and the storage size is laughable... anyway if you're not bound to the brand you can expect to buy better hardware for the money buying something like a Thinkpad.
    Thanks Grapes, when you say the storage size is laughable, do you mean it's not enough?

    Im not too stuck on buying a Macbook could you specifically recommend a ThinkPad or any other PC that you could get good value out of.

  4. #4

    Default

    Aye, I mean very small and likely too small for your purposes. I realise it may have been a bit blunt to put it that way, my apologies for that. I can't really recommend a specific built but in general lines you want to look at a machine with at least; 15.6" screen, 16GB RAM, i7 CPU, GTX 1050 GPU, 500GB SSD. Ideally you want double that in terms of RAM and SSD space.
    You'll often find that you will be steered towards gaming laptops, especially in this price range since mobile workstations generally start coming in at double this price. Some options I get at currys when selecting some filters: https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...-criteria.html
    The cats are watching us...

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Aye, I mean very small and likely too small for your purposes. I realise it may have been a bit blunt to put it that way, my apologies for that. I can't really recommend a specific built but in general lines you want to look at a machine with at least; 15.6" screen, 16GB RAM, i7 CPU, GTX 1050 GPU, 500GB SSD. Ideally you want double that in terms of RAM and SSD space.
    You'll often find that you will be steered towards gaming laptops, especially in this price range since mobile workstations generally start coming in at double this price. Some options I get at currys when selecting some filters: https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...-criteria.html
    That's really helpful. Asides from the fact that one has a larger screen, solely based on performance which one would you buy?

    Can I ask what do you do video editing wise, do you use any Adobe programmes for graphics?

    Thank you

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bossman View Post
    That's really helpful. Asides from the fact that one has a larger screen, solely based on performance which one would you buy?

    Can I ask what do you do video editing wise, do you use any Adobe programmes for graphics?

    Thank you
    Between those two I'd go with the Asus. Main reason is that it comes with 16GB RAM and the other one with 8GB the second reason is that I'm coincidently using a 2015 15.6" version of that laptop range by Asus and it is still quite capable of handling 4K video.

    I'm only editing on Adobe for now. I want to switch to DaVinci Resolve in the future but don't have time to learn a new program plus I've heard their VFX side isn't on level with After Effects yet. I did upgrade to a second SSD and since recently use portable SSDs for my work archive (cheaper SSD prices and excellent cold storage capabilities have made me move from HDDs to SSDs) which helps to keep the laptop a bit clean. Even a small video can sometimes result in several GB's of project folder so it's advisable to move finished projects off the system.
    The cats are watching us...

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Between those two I'd go with the Asus. Main reason is that it comes with 16GB RAM and the other one with 8GB the second reason is that I'm coincidently using a 2015 15.6" version of that laptop range by Asus and it is still quite capable of handling 4K video.

    I'm only editing on Adobe for now. I want to switch to DaVinci Resolve in the future but don't have time to learn a new program plus I've heard their VFX side isn't on level with After Effects yet. I did upgrade to a second SSD and since recently use portable SSDs for my work archive (cheaper SSD prices and excellent cold storage capabilities have made me move from HDDs to SSDs) which helps to keep the laptop a bit clean. Even a small video can sometimes result in several GB's of project folder so it's advisable to move finished projects off the system.
    Excellent, your help is much appreciated. Thanks again. I'm starting a vlogging channel and want to use some slick titles and some basic, not too complex graphics. I'll also need a simple logo for the channel. I'll obviously need Adobe Premiere Pro, which of the other Adobe packages do you think I should use?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    11,343
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    If you want to design slick graphics, you'll want Adobe After Effects, Having said that, you don't need to use After Effects - you could use any competent Compositor. Take a look at HitFilm Express (free - you probably won't need the "Pro" (paid for) version and you cabn always pay for just the additional elements you want as add-ons). If you prefer a "node" method of working rather than "layers" which are used by AE and HitFilm, take a look at DaVinci Resolve (free version) - specifically Fusion which is built in.
    If you just want slick titles, a titling programe might be a better bet.
    Tim

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    If you want to design slick graphics, you'll want Adobe After Effects, Having said that, you don't need to use After Effects - you could use any competent Compositor. Take a look at HitFilm Express (free - you probably won't need the "Pro" (paid for) version and you cabn always pay for just the additional elements you want as add-ons). If you prefer a "node" method of working rather than "layers" which are used by AE and HitFilm, take a look at DaVinci Resolve (free version) - specifically Fusion which is built in.
    If you just want slick titles, a titling programe might be a better bet.

    Tim makes a good point. If you're not bound to Adobe e.g. by previous experience it might be a good plan to check out the other options. If it's just for personal use a titling program like Tim suggests is the fastest way to get things going. You might also want to check out the free version of Adobe Spark. If you're planning to make some money in editing it might be good to take a look at Resolve.
    The cats are watching us...

Similar Threads

  1. macbook pro good for video editing?
    By dearjen in forum Complete novices
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-03-2014, 04:21 PM
  2. Is the new Macbook Pro 13" any good for video editing?
    By mery77 in forum The Perfect Video Editing PC
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-18-2011, 10:05 PM
  3. Is Macbook pro 13" core i5 ideal for video editing?
    By Katrinawu in forum FCPX help and advice
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-08-2011, 10:24 AM
  4. Live VIdeo Editing using a macbook, modul8 & a midi
    By Eaglebot in forum User Videos
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-31-2009, 04:11 AM
  5. MacBook Pro. What do you reckon's the best one to buy for serious video editing?
    By Colinlikesmovies in forum The Perfect Video Editing PC
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-01-2008, 12:56 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •