Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Camera, Mic, Gimbal and Tripod for less than 2000?

Default Camera, Mic, Gimbal and Tripod for less than 2000?

So ive been looking at picking up new gear for a little while now and im still non the wiser so im coming to a forum for help, im sure you guys probably get this alot but heres the deal:
    Im looking for a new "setup" of sorts, at least a camera and microphone (either cold / hotshoe mounted or mounted appropriately for the camera), a gimbal would be very nice addition but it may blow the budget and even though I prefer handheld for the type of things i shoot myself i might as well pickup a decent tripod whilst im at it, ive been hiring gear out for the past few years as needed aswell as using my crppy canon DSLR, ive picked up some lights and stuff on the way so not too worried about those but ive got a fairly steady flow of events to film and edit up videos for coming up in the later end of september and onwards and id like to have my own gear for them.

Im not overly crazy about having a 4K camera as I dont have a 4K monitor although my workstation is more than capable of editing 4K obviously the post tracking and post stabilisation advantages ect would be cool, im more bothered about frame rates 120fps would be a huge bonus, I like to slow things down alot, lowlight performance is also very important to me, portability is huge too, i am a one man band at the minute and i dont want to be dragging around cases or huge equipment to music events especially late at night around a city.
    One more thing, I did some promotion for a company a half a year back and they are partners / buy alot of stuff with panosonic and they offered to get me anywhere from 25%+ off pano stuff, which is quite a bit of cash at this price range, something to keep in mind but I dont have a clue on the quality of their cameras or useability. Il be picking up accessories like batteries too, so the cameras need to still have a supply of 1st or 3rd party accessories avaliable for them.
    The mic shouldnt be too hard for me to pick out by myself, or the tripod although id like to hear your reccomendations anyway, mostly just a camera and gimbal, what would you guys recommend. Thanks in advance...

Well with the Panasonic discount I'd go for a GH5 + Ronin-S + Hahnell Triad 60 (If you can still find one, they aren't produced anymore) or similar. For the mic probably something like a rode shotgun.
    The cats are watching us...

Hi,

You did not say anything about lenses, which is by far the most expensive part of any setup and... i am sure you know - you can't do anything with a camera body without a lens
    Based on your description i would suggest something similar to what Grapes suggested, but a little bit more tweaked.

Camera body: GH5S - 1,415.50 ( roughly 1050.00 with your discount)

https://www.proav.co.uk/panasonic-lu...mera-body-only

Gimbal: Ronin SC Pro combo (with follow focus) - 345.83
    https://www.proav.co.uk/dji-ronin-sc-gimbal-pro-combo

I would deffinetly take the Ronin SC over the S - it's much lighter, more compact, can handle the GH5S and has a LOCKING mechanism!!! The S doesn't and it's so annoying.

At this point that's about 1400 and i would go for lenses and forget the tripod for now. Lenses are more important and you have a gimbal.

If you have any decent Canon glass, you could get a adapter, but if you don't then:

Lens: Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 II ASPH O.I.S. Lens - 665.83 ( 500 with your discount)
    It's the 24-70 FF equivalent

https://www.proav.co.uk/panasonic-lu...wer-o-i-s-lens

This would bring you to around 1900 with room left for batteries, SD cards if you need them, maybe a Rode Video micro mic.

Either way 2000 is not much for a professional setup. Honestly - that's not even one Canon or Sony lens.
    This is pretty much the best you can possibly do for the money.

The GH5S is a very powerful camera with 10-bit 4:2:2 recording, 4K @ 60p (which only a handful of cameras can do) and 240 fps in HD!
    Not to mention very decent low light. Panasonic has very good WiFI and app to Live preview what you are shooting on your phone or tablet (it's even fast enough for focus pulling).
    The built in pre-amps are decent, but later i would get the XLR adapter module for better sound. It's like 250 with a discount.

The only other alternative would be the Fuji XT-3, but... it is WAAAAY harder to deal with in post. With Panasocnic's V-LOG you can do heavy grading quite easely and fast. With Fuji you will have to work a lot more to get the same result.
    Don't even look at the Black Magic Pocket 4K - even though the body is cheap you will need an additional 2000 - 3000 to make it usable (it needs a full rig with a cage, V-lock, external SSD and monitor).
    Last edited by RL_Sensei; 09-04-2019 at 04:48 PM.

Thanks guys, im looking all this up now. About lenses yes I didnt want to say anything specific because there really is a wide range of things im down for here i do have a decent practical knowlege of cameras obviously im not going to be sticking things on auto and using the wrong lenses, just all depends on what body I got before I start looking into them, im not specifically after a DSLR or mirrorless ect I looked at some higher end camcorders for a while for example but they didnt really fit the bill especially with low light and frame rates, I understand this is far from a professional setup as im a one man band anyway at the minute the limiting factor is usually the user/s and what they can do with the equipment, its mostly just a hobby for me right now .

With that said though am I going to get that much more if I can stretch a bit above, or are we talking double my money to really see any difference? (Camera wise), thanks again
    Last edited by rory13; 09-04-2019 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RL_Sensei View Post
    Don't even look at the Black Magic Pocket 4K - even though the body is cheap you will need an additional 2000 - 3000 to make it usable (it needs a full rig with a cage, V-lock, external SSD and monitor).
    What if you couple the BMPC4K to a Ronin-S and like a 500GB ssd? MFT lenses are cheap and plentiful relatively speaking...

Quote Originally Posted by rory13 View Post
    With that said though am I going to get that much more if I can stretch a bit above, or are we talking double my money to really see any difference? (Camera wise), thanks again
    Just stretch it slightly to get all the gear you need to shoot with the GH5s. Since you have the discount option it's probably the wisest way to go. You could see if there's anything to be found in the shoulder cam range though that's a whore different approach all together. You don't need a gimbal with one of those and some come with a very capable mic included. Same can be said for the lens since swappable lens camcorders are way out of your budget as far as I know. Only thing I'm not sure about is the High FPS and Low Light performance for camcorders in that budget range. One other nice thing that camcorders sometimes have and I don't think ever appeared on a DSLR type is 0lux for night shots...

Quote Originally Posted by rory13 View Post
    Thanks guys, im looking all this up now. About lenses yes I didnt want to say anything specific because there really is a wide range of things im down for here i do have a decent practical knowlege of cameras obviously im not going to be sticking things on auto and using the wrong lenses, just all depends on what body I got before I start looking into them, im not specifically after a DSLR or mirrorless ect I looked at some higher end camcorders for a while for example but they didnt really fit the bill especially with low light and frame rates, I understand this is far from a professional setup as im a one man band anyway at the minute the limiting factor is usually the user/s and what they can do with the equipment, its mostly just a hobby for me right now .

Picture wise you won't see more then a 5% - 10% increase by spending 1000 or 2000 more on a different camera body if you go with more expensive then the GH5S.
    Obviously the next step up would be a RAW recording camera or a cine camera.

If you can manage a 4000 budget, then i would go with the Pocket 4K or 6K with a full Rig (cage, rails, follow focus, SSD, V-lock battery, shoulder rig, monitor etc.). You can find rigs on YouTube, just search pocket 4K rig.
    The benefit of this setup is the ability to shoot in BRAW (Black Magic Raw), which will give you excellent Dynamic Range for the price point and 4K or 6K recording (depending on the model). The downside - price and it's bulky.

You could also way a few weeks to see what the Sony a7S III will look like once Sony announces it, but the body will probably be around 3000 alone.

Above that is the Cine world - which will cost you anywhere from 10000 to 15000+ to even get in to on a starter level. That's just the camera setup, not to mention cine lenses that go for 2000 - 100 000 a pop.
    You want to invest here ONLY once it becomes a total necessity, because you get bigger and bigger clients and they are actually paying you decent money.

But honestly - most clients don't know the difference between a 2000 kit picture and a 15000 one.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    What if you couple the BMPC4K to a Ronin-S and like a 500GB ssd? MFT lenses are cheap and plentiful relatively speaking...
    Battery!
    Battery!
    and battery!
    And the screen does not tilt.

Not a fan of the form factory. Everyone who i know who owns a Pocket 4K thinks it's only usable with a rig + monitor + v-mount. But that's a bulky setup.

Quote Originally Posted by RL_Sensei View Post
    Battery!
    Battery!
    and battery!
    And the screen does not tilt.

Not a fan of the form factory. Everyone who i know who owns a Pocket 4K thinks it's only usable with a rig + monitor + v-mount. But that's a bulky setup.
    Sounds convincing enough for me to believe you

Re: camcorders
    Don't get anything that doesn't have at least a 4/3" sensor, and can shoot 4k.

4k is not necessarily for delivery, it's for higher quality data and flexibility in post. Any camera/camcorder that only films in 1080 is simply subpar in 2019.

RE: Pocket 4k
    I had to stay away because it's just not friendly enough. Too many things it does so poorly. You need to kit it out and I personally dislike to have to add and manage so many moving parts.

A better camera would cost $1k more and come with internal stabilizer, SSD and 4x battery. If not you have to provide all of that by rigging things to a frame with cables sticking out everywhere. That's just not how I like to work.

Personally, I went with Panasonic FZ2500 as a compromise of convenience vs quality. It's a 1"-type sensor, so smaller than 4/3" and it definitely shows in poor light, the footage is disappointing. I knew this about it but most of my stuff is under controlled lighting so I don't run into low-light issues that often. Otherwise it's a glorious camera, does everything right (except only 1hr battery), feels like the slick brother to a GH4. But I had an event gig that was mostly indoors and man do I hate the noisy footage I was forced to get. I knew the situation so I hired a second shooter with a Sony a7 and thus had the footage to compare, being able to see both makes things even worth.

IMO, for an event shooter you need at least a 4/3" sensor or your indoors footage is going to be a problem.

Also while on the subject, I don't feel I need a gimbal at all. The Panasonic has dual internal stabilizers (optical and digital), and with some practice as an operator I get great footage out of it. I do use a partially folded monopod as a physical stabilizing aid, and between that and what the camera does I feel the footage is on point, I don't need or want it any more stable. Even a steadycam would be overdoing it. But then again I don't do weddings.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jochicago View Post
    Also while on the subject, I don't feel I need a gimbal at all. The Panasonic has dual internal stabilizers (optical and digital), and with some practice as an operator I get great footage out of it. I do use a partially folded monopod as a physical stabilizing aid, and between that and what the camera does I feel the footage is on point, I don't need or want it any more stable. Even a steadycam would be overdoing it. But then again I don't do weddings.
    The GH5s doesn't have IBIS compared to the GH5. That's one of the shortcomings and the reason why a gimbal is a necessity.

Regarding gimbals though - i don't view them just as a basic stabilizing tool for static or small moving shots. It's much more powerful then that!
    You can do:
    - Stabilization (obviously)
    - Timelapses
    - Hyperlapses
    - Motion control
    - Chase scenes on foot
    - Chase scenes rigged on a car or holding it while sitting in a trunk
    - Dolly crane moves with or without an extension rod
    - Low angle (ground) shots
    - Hand offs through windows
    - Rolls and other crazy angles
    - Honestly, then list could go on and on

Using a gimbal for just basic stabilization is like using a car for just sitting in a chair.
    I hope someone will credit this quote to me in a hundred years.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast