Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tripods

Default Tripods

Greetings to this learned list...

the title is not an attention grabber for my attempt at War of The Worlds (duh!)

but a serious question on recommended tripods

being a 35mm camera man most of my life I understand the difference it can make to your pics but being quite new this video doobrie is a different story...

my old tripod is great for stills but crap for tilting and panning is well ...... a joke (even copious applications of copperslip to the mechanism made no difference)

its only 13 weeks to Christmas..... any recommendations?

budget about 100UK pounds

thanks
    Stephen
    Newcastle
    Intel Q9550

I really don't think you'll get much for that amount. Video tripods with fluid heads will start in excess of you budget I think.

But the best answer to your question will depend almost entirely on what camera you are going to place on it. With your budget in mind I'm assuming your camera has a value less than 500 (UKP) and is not heavy.

I have no vast expertise or experience in tripods (video or otherwise) to critique one over the other but I spent some significant time at the video forum this Jan looking and playing with tripods for my video camera and chose Manfrotto as my tripod of choice.

Just had a quick glance at a couple of video editing stores I have bookmarked and the cheapest either of them stock is this http://www.libeceurope.com/acatalog/Basic_Products.html

if you go into dixons there are some 30 ones...i get that coz it does the job and is cheap...ask for "velbon Xvideo"

I'll be interested to find out how smoothly one of those does actually pan and tilt at that price.

Do check the weight limits of the tripod and compare to your camera (fully loaded) though.

tell you what later i willgo in the garden and doo a pan and tilt lol

the tilt and pan is the critical area ...

look forward to the test and results LukeD!

I thought 100 was pushing my luck for a tripod ...... seen some great lookin stuff at 2K +.......

it would be nice to see what peeps are using/tried/works etc

have a MV750i at the moment but seriously ....... nah........ desperately saving for something like Canon XL2, SonyHDR-FX1...... now there's a thread worth starting (heehee)
    what camera would you consider putting on a decent tripod?....
    Stephen
    Newcastle
    Intel Q9550

As you asked and for the record.

My Sony FX1E (fully loaded with beachbox and Sennheiser me66) sit on top of a manfrotto 503 video head and the 525 legs. You can buy this trippod as a set rather than as components. It cost me about 350 from memory.

ok...this is filmed with a JVC GR-D33 and a velbon X video tripod (30) using premier with no antit bump plugins
    here you go:
    http://www.parkclosebladon.free-onli.../DD+tripod.wmv

Better than I expected to be honest. Better at panning than tilting though for sure.

And great choice for music too

i got it off cushmans site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast