Thread: First YT series exploring Philippines

1. Default First YT series exploring Philippines

https://youtu.be/VNIPKsEdeCo

Also there is 6 videos of great content captured in the Philippines on the page. Check it out and see if you like it

Blog Entries

Please do not post the same video in more tha one section. I've deleted the other.

Most travel videos I see in clubs (made by an older generation) are criticised for not including the personal aspect - the makers' opinions, shots of them etc. This film suffers from precisely the opposite in my opinion. How many shots do we need of you making peace signs or thumbs up signs to the camera? I understand it's all part of teh style to add realism and energy but far too many of the shots (again in my opinion) are unfocused - that is there is no obvious subject and they "hose" around without any motivation. I'd like to see an edit with just the good shots (there are plenty of really good ones of the whale sharks) and perhaps a better recorded voice-over with a bit more information about the sharke, the place and yourselves.
    Tim

3. Default

Thank you Tim for taking the time to review my video and give advice.I can see how there can be excessive shots I guess I was trying to fill out the clips to the songs which made me use maybe more than I should have. So you think it would have been better with a voice over playing over the shots with no music I getting? I know I wish I could have recorded more info giving on the whale sharks because I learned a lot about them when I was filming.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't say no music. It works with the style. Just dip the music when you speak if you do a voiceover.
    Whether or not you do a voiceover, or captions or no information at all is entirely up to you. Once we've had a few shots of a subject (eg the whale shark) ask yourself whether more shots of teh same really add anything. A voiceover is one wayof adding infromation (and thus interest for the viewer). Other ways are shots of different subjects or the same subject in a different environment. Variety - and preferably variety with a narrative (so each element logically follows the last and leads to the next) - is key to holding your viewers' imterests.

Padding films to fit the music is a rookie mistake. Cut the music in a logical, musical way (if you need a big chunk cutting, cut a verse or a chorus; shorter edits requires some understanding of music or a lot of trial and error). If you cut from the middle you can still time it so the video and music start and end together - far more satisfying than just fading out the music (or even worse, just cutting it out)
    Tim

5. Default

That makes a lot of sense and I understand where you are coming from doing voice-overs. That would have been a great idea! Thanks for the knowledge I will try to apply some methods I learned to my next trips

some great shots of the whale sharks. i would shorten it a bit, maybe take out the bit getting off the boat. I enjoyed the video and so did the cat!

7. Default

Thank you for watching

Really like it. Good job.

9. Default

I know how hard it can be to make a travel video. A couple of things you need to improve on. Small steps as I'm still learning as well. Camera way to shaky and the color grading looked not real. Work on those then once you master it move on to other things. Good luck.