Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Camera, Mic, Gimbal and Tripod for less than 2000?

Are there any decent gimbal systems that you can use as a tripod head?
    The cats are watching us...

2. Default

I agree, I wanted a gimbal mostly for the fact of being able to pull off so many more effects, transitions and mostly as ive said before I like to play around with speed, can have some great looking shots pulling in and out from a subject as it stays completely still. Although jo I get what your saying I dont think it would be something id want to carry around an event especially if im getting shots from within the crowd, and its just not nessisarry if I have even a fairly steady hand at 4k I can stabalise it in post, usually for that type of thing (electronic music gigs is my niche) the shots cut so fast anyway that a bit of jitter is un noticeable... I think I am definetly going to pickup a gh5s at this point, looking at peoples footage the lowlight is completely unbeatable by anything ive seen at that price tbh

Quote Originally Posted by rory13 View Post
    I've got a fairly steady flow of events to film and edit up videos for coming up in the later end of september and onwards and id like to have my own gear for them.
    What kind of events do you cover?

The most important lesson I've learnt over the years is to keeping my gear simple. Covering live events is manic even when it goes well so the last thing you want to think about is your camera set up. For the type of stuff I typically do I need to be ready to run for miles and react quickly - spending time balancing a gimbal isn't time well spent for me.

Based on my experience I bought two second hand C100s with DAF. This means:

• I don't have to faff around with AF
    • I don't need to worry about any time limits, overheating or carrying around ND filters
    • I can balance one on a Ronin M at the start of the day and only need to worry about fine tuning when needed

Yes, these cameras are old, but they're cheap, good quality and I don't need 4K. I also already had a few EF lenses already and a couple of Blackmagic Video Assist monitors. Using these external monitors offers two benefits: seeing what you're shooting more easily and speeding up editing (I have a very old MacBook!). I also bought trigger extensions so that I could move the C100 grip to be where I need it to be.

This is what works for me. It might be nothing like you need! But it might get you thinking about keeping it simple, which isn't normally as DSLR in my experience.

4. Default

As I stated just before your reply it is electronic music, in smallish spaces like nightclubs, ive done a couple before so I know what they entail, and 4k isnt too important to me either but I do other things too and I think that its a bit of future proofing at least, im pretty sure my rig can handle 4k anyway, 28GB of ram and a decent 8 core cpu with an Nvidia card so I can make use of Cuda if needed, two SSDs and Two 2TB hard drives at 7200rpm, editing 4k shouldnt be a problem so if im really going to invest I might as well future proof as some of these guys have said.

5. Default

Most people don't use 4K or 6K for just the resolution alone. We use it to crop in post, do dynamic zooms, re-position the shot, but most importantly for your type of work - reduce the grain size (noise)!
    When you shoot in 4K, you have much more pixels and detail. So when you downscale the 4K to HD, you are essentially making the grain (noise) pixels 4x smaller and much less noticeable. Of course you are also increasing the detail, hence making the image overall a lot better.

Pair that with the low-light performance of the GH5S and you will have a super clean image in dark nightclub shots, especially if you put a f/1.4 lens on there with a Metabones speedbooster (Ultra or XL, but i would recommend the x0.71 Ultra).

Here is some low-light test footage
    https://youtu.be/LxkHg-U4K9s
    https://youtu.be/vjbpop5bdOM
    https://youtu.be/Q9iQXCEvD8Q

The biggest problem with such event videos i see is the amount of noise in the shots and the fact that they are in 8 bit. The end result is just horrific to watch!
    All of this can be avoided with the right tools and process.
    The GH5S low light + shooting in 4K 10-bit and downscaling to HD will eliminate most of those problems.
    The end result will look very professional in therms of picture quality and no camcorder or C100 will come even close to the image quality for that price point.

Camcorders for example are notoriously crap when it comes to low-light. Even the "flagship" ones for 5000 - 7000 EUR are garbage.
    The only cameras that have good low-light are high-end broadcast ones and those cost more then a house.

I was planing on getting the new flagship Canon XF705, but as soon as i saw the low-light and DR performance i dropped the idea like a hot potato.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Are there any decent gimbal systems that you can use as a tripod head?
    Yes! To some extent!
    With my Ronin-S i can mimic tripod movements very easy and actually better then on a tripod.

It has motion control features in the app and you can do pans and tilts or use the phone as a mimic and move the head. It's as smooth as my 1000 EUR fluid head.
    Can you do a perfect 45 degree tilt / pan (diagonal) move on a tripod 3x times in a row and have it exactly the same? I bet no, but a gimbal can!
    I set a starting point, i set an end point and the gimbal will do a 45 degree diagonal move perfect every time and the movement will be more fluid then with a hand.

Obviously a tripod is good for other things, like holding a ton of weight for example.

Quote Originally Posted by RL_Sensei View Post
    Yes! To some extent!
    With my Ronin-S i can mimic tripod movements very easy and actually better then on a tripod.

It has motion control features in the app and you can do pans and tilts or use the phone as a mimic and move the head. It's as smooth as my 1000 EUR fluid head.
    Can you do a perfect 45 degree tilt / pan (diagonal) move on a tripod 3x times in a row and have it exactly the same? I bet no, but a gimbal can!
    I set a starting point, i set an end point and the gimbal will do a 45 degree diagonal move perfect every time and the movement will be more fluid then with a hand.

Obviously a tripod is good for other things, like holding a ton of weight for example.
    Thanks, makes sense really, I'll check it out.

8. Default

So guys, thanks all for your advice, I went waaaay over budget lmao i had to splash out on some extra gear and accessories now didnt I! Im still waiting on all my gear to arrive, hopefully before my upcoming shoot eeeek... I still picked up a GH5s as once id seen the low light performance as well as the ability to use high frame rates and 4k it ticked all the boxes for me. I also picked up the vario F2.8 12-35mm as advised although from what id seen on peoples setups of the camera and talking to some friends who have one they all reccomended it too so it seemed like an obvious option, I dropped the tripod tbh, as I think I just wont use it enough to make it worth while, I like to run and gun alot so why not just go balls to the wall running and gunning, plus with me picking up the ronin SC Pro Combo do I really need one I dont think so ive also heard that you can use the GH5 and 5s with just the usb type C cable to the ronin to pull focus and stuff, hopefully the little extra spending on the Pro Combo actually works and is worth it. I got the Rode VidMic Pro R, probably a bit overkill for what I need but I dont really see the point in cheaping out on a microphone as it will come in handy on any other shoe mounts in the future and not just this gh5s. I also picked up a 45-200mm lens as ive never tried a telephoto and I know its not a photography camera as such but it would be cool to try out so why not, blew the rest of my budget on batteries and a nice camera bag for it all, i think the one I have atm just wouldnt cut that much gear. I then just realised I forgot to buy SD cards so I brought some alright V60 ones as in theory they should work with the V2 firmware but i wont be crying myself to sleep if it doesnt record at the complete max quality, my wallet sure is though. All said and done im looking forward to getting all this gear together and running it, I have just found out I will be filming another Gig in bristol in a very popular nightclub there so im very excited to try out all my new gear although not so excited to travel across country with it as im east midlands based. Thanks for the help guys, il let you know how I get on once ive got it, may take a week or two as theyve had to get it from their supplier (even though shipping said 5-7 days ugh), hopefully not long though...
    Last edited by rory13; 09-16-2019 at 09:27 PM.

9. Default

Congrats, and do come back to report how it goes.

Also, look into getting your stuff insured so you can take it to gigs without apprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by jochicago View Post
    Also, look into getting your stuff insured so you can take it to gigs without apprehension.
    Indeed! Definitely update your inventory list with your insurance partner! You won't believe how often people forget that when they bought new gear. "New Arri? No sorry mate you're not insured for that. According to your file you're shooting with a C100"... just one of the worst things to hear when you got your gear stolen/broken.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast