Thread: The Four Bells Watch

1. Default The Four Bells Watch

Hsinchu24 is a pictorial view of 24 hours of life in the city of Hsinchu in northern Taiwan told in a little over an hour. This is the latest edition, 'The Four Bells Watch', which.is the 2pm hour.

When I watched this I wasn't quite sure what I was watching and it felt really chaotic and the transition animations are adding to that. It all feels way over the top. That's when I realised I'm only seeing a tiny part of the story and looked up the earlier video's and personally I prefer the earlier ones a lot more. They are easier to watch and contain less epilepsy inducing transitions. I also noticed that it's only the last maybe 3 or so videos that seem to have this feeling for me. The entire project is actually quite impressive in my opinion and it makes me wonder how much time has gone into this and what the purpose of this is. Maybe you've explained it somewhere but to me it feels like a massive art project or perhaps it's an art project that doubles as a music album? Like a cross media kind of thing...?
    The cats are watching us...

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    When I watched this I wasn't quite sure what I was watching and it felt really chaotic and the transition animations are adding to that. It all feels way over the top. That's when I realised I'm only seeing a tiny part of the story and looked up the earlier video's and personally I prefer the earlier ones a lot more. They are easier to watch and contain less epilepsy inducing transitions. I also noticed that it's only the last maybe 3 or so videos that seem to have this feeling for me. The entire project is actually quite impressive in my opinion and it makes me wonder how much time has gone into this and what the purpose of this is. Maybe you've explained it somewhere but to me it feels like a massive art project or perhaps it's an art project that doubles as a music album? Like a cross media kind of thing...?
    The concept of Hsinchu24 was to show the chaotic nature of 24 hours of daily life in my adopted city in what was supposed to be an hour-long "documentary" style movie. If you have ever seen a movie from the early 80's called Koyaanisqatsi, that was my inspiration. If you've never seen the movie, check it out.

The original idea was to take a ten-minute piece of footage from various locations in Hsinchu and then speed it up to fit into about 30 seconds and have six for each hour. However, my initial “proof of concept” filming in 2003 proved unwatchable because it was really draining to watch even a couple of segments in that style. This is kind of compromise between the original idea and the final output.

But, really, the idea is to show how chaotic it can be living in this city, in particular, and Taiwan in general. The country just never stops, even at 3am!

I just checked the trailer for Koyaanisqatsi and it really looks familiar but I don't really remember watching it (Probably too long ago). I definitely remember listening to the music though. I think I'll hunt it down and watch it again if I find some spare time. It's probably on the web somewhere.

The message of chaos is conveyed well in my opinion but I still personally like the earlier parts a bit better. I love the music you made for it as well, it really brings it all together for me.
    The cats are watching us...