Thread: Recording with monitor in background

Default Recording with monitor in background

Last time I recorded (25fps) I ended up with monitor flicker.
    Tomorrow I need to film an interview with a monitor in the background and need to try and avoid this. If I change the monitor to 50Hz will that work?
    I will be using a GH5 which does have Syncro Scan but I have no idea how to use it or even if it will work.
    I won't really have any time on site to check results prior to filming.

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheRopes View Post
    Last time I recorded (25fps) I ended up with monitor flicker.
    Tomorrow I need to film an interview with a monitor in the background and need to try and avoid this. If I change the monitor to 50Hz will that work?
    I will be using a GH5 which does have Syncro Scan but I have no idea how to use it or even if it will work.
    I won't really have any time on site to check results prior to filming.
    In theory yes. Found a nice reference guide for you: http://urbanvideo.ca/avoid-video-flicker
    The cats are watching us...

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    In theory yes. Found a nice reference guide for you: http://urbanvideo.ca/avoid-video-flicker
    Thanks for the link, if all else fails I guess I could replace the monitor in post.

Clever backup solution

Yes in theory changing the refresh rate on the camera can reduce or remove screen flicker.

A little trick you can also use to reduce flicker, but only works in certain circumstances. Duplicate the video clip where the screen appears and add it to the video track above. Now mask out the screen, set the opacity of the duplicated clip above to 50% and move it 1 frame to the left or right. Trim the additional 1 frame from the end. You should now notice a reduction or removal of the screen flicker.

Simples.
    Big Llama Media - Video Production Services
    http://bigllama.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by clay_9 View Post
    Yes in theory changing the refresh rate on the camera can reduce or remove screen flicker.

A little trick you can also use to reduce flicker, but only works in certain circumstances. Duplicate the video clip where the screen appears and add it to the video track above. Now mask out the screen, set the opacity of the duplicated clip above to 50% and move it 1 frame to the left or right. Trim the additional 1 frame from the end. You should now notice a reduction or removal of the screen flicker.

Simples.
    That's an old one! I totally forgot about that trick Thanks for reminding me!

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    That's an old one! I totally forgot about that trick Thanks for reminding me!
    It's not a perfect solution in every case, but it often works depending on the situation.
    Big Llama Media - Video Production Services
    http://bigllama.co.uk

It's not a perfect solution in every case, but it often works depending on the situation.
    Aye, I used it on light flicker back in the day when all my settings where still on auto worked well for that in most cases

Simples.
    I did try this previously but couldnt seem to get it to work for me.

I managed to change the monitor (actually it turned out to be a flat screen TV) to 25 Hz, not a flicker in sight,
    Thanks all for the suggestions.