Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exploring Thailand - My FIRST YT Video

Default - Deleted -

- Deleted -
    Last edited by Rathi; Today at 01:20 PM.

Doesn't look like a first video so that is a good thing. I've skimmed through this and you seem to have everything under control at first glance. Maybe someone else will spot some points of critique.
    The cats are watching us...

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Doesn't look like a first video so that is a good thing. I've skimmed through this and you seem to have everything under control at first glance. Maybe someone else will spot some points of critique.
    Thank you very much. Well, I've made videos before but nothing serious until now. I'm glad you like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rathi View Post
    Well, I've made videos before but nothing serious until now. I'm glad you like it!
    Ah well at least the practice shows... How is this serious though? Are you sponsored? Is there a paying client? Do you have a further motive than making a video for yourself?

In terms of liking it... not really honestly in the sense that I wouldn't go watch travel video's for fun though since you asked our opinion I thought I'd give it a look and see if I could spot anything straight off the bat.

I must admit travel videos in general mean nothing to me and I know no one in my personal network that watches these either so it's like an alien world to me but I do get the idea it's a "thing" since I regularly see people posting their travel stuff here on the forum and I believe we even have a regular poster who took his entire family along on the trip. I always wonder how people can finance such shenanigans...
    The cats are watching us...

Sorry, I'm another who doesnt getvtravel videos. To me it's like watching gaming footsge or a strangers wedding video ...more often than not they consist of drone shots and slow motion walking shots backed by some cheesy,happy happy music.
    Often the footage is well shot and easy on the eye .. few years ago this footage would have been stunning but now it's just meh!!!
    If only these videos had a narrative and told us something about the place instead of random clips edited together...
    Maybe yours is different ... I'm off to watch it ...
    Last edited by enc; 08-06-2019 at 11:37 AM.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Video unavailable :(
    Big Llama Media - Video Production Services
    http://bigllama.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by clay_9 View Post
    Video unavailable :(
    It should work?
    Last edited by Rathi; Today at 12:56 PM.

Blog Entries

Very much agree with those others who don't watch travel videos - expecially travel videos which are little more than pretty pictures set to music.

If it's for your own memories then I think there's nothing better than a film like this - and that's great and not to demean it in any way. But if you're after criticism then it is to be assumed you wonder how well it works for a general audience or at least an audience which doesn't know the participants or the location.

Do you watch other people's travel videos other than to get filming/editing tips?

Those travel videos which work better for a gerneral audience are those which have some sort of commentary. This may be just recording the protagonist's feelings (like a vlog) or it may be more of a documentary nature - some sort of history or explanation of what we're seeing. Check out videos by adventure campitelli on this forum. Uses many shots which are inferior to yours (plus many that are equally as good) but this doesn't matter as a bit of light history/documentary and lots of family impressions make them very watchable.

Pretty pictures, no matter how well shot, set to music just don't cut it these days.

But on to your video: Good images, Some flicker on some shots. I'm, not sure what this is but if it can't be cured, the video is long enough that you can simply cut those out.

I appreciated the work you put into the matched cut transitions, but often they felt they'd been put in there for the sake of trying out a matched cut trasition rather than motivated. For example the first one - you move toward and through the aircraft's porthole into a shot also pushing forward into the beach scene. This was great and set my expectations high. But then something like the hand going forward towards the elephant dung (which we only realize is elephant dung after the trasition and IF we bother to consider it) seems rather forced. Some felt like you were trying too hard rather than helping to create a natural flow.

My favourite part - where you changed the EQ of the audio to match the shoy going underwater at 1:15. Well done for that!
    Last edited by TimStannard; Today at 12:38 PM.
    Tim

Travel videos don't necessarily work better with commentary. I don't really like the videos of adventure campitelli. I prefer quality over quantity. Some of the biggest YouTubers out there started without it, and look where they are at now.. Travelling for a living. People who does commentary from the start usually get nowhere, I've made huge progress since I started just a few weeks ago compared to many others. Also I prefer getting a decent mic before going that way, it would be a waste otherwise. The audience is there so that's none of a issue. It's elephant footprint not dung. I'm not sure which flicker you're referring to??

I love feedback but you guys opinions sounds really biased, lol. I imagine you're from a much older generation since I posted the same content on several other forums where was very well received.

EDIT:

I guess this is not my kind of forum. Good day to you.
    Last edited by Rathi; Today at 01:00 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rathi View Post
    I love feedback but you guys opinions sounds really biased, lol.
    You may well be right! I can't speak for others, but I am certainly of an older generation. I also prefer visual storytelling rather than commentary, but this is not the same as just showing pictures to music which is what a lot of modern travel videos seem to be.

I'm not trying to persuade you otherwise, but just to keep an open mind: Whilst your film had a definite opening and closing, I cannot find any structure here. There is nothing which makes me want to keep watching to see what happens next. It would make little difference if you changed the order of the clips, added some or removed some. This is fine if your audience is just people who want to dip in and out, but that's not filmmaking (or any other art form for me). It should take the viewer on a journey from beginning to end.

But the biggest issue is that I learned nothing about Thailand. Oh, and I was very frustrated that we never saw you travel companion's face
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast