Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How the f I link animation between keyframes (masks)

Default How the f I link animation between keyframes (masks)

Hello, I'm using svp 12 and I'm working on a project on my own. At some point, I had to animate a static image with masking, it's only a couple of eyes opening (on the original image they are already opened as you may think and the eyes are symmetrical). The problem came when I was done with the first eye; I wanted to copy all the masks, invert them horizontally and apply them to the other eye (obviously on the same image/video track) but after that, the gaps between keyframes were all static for the second eye, so you only can see skips between one keyframe to another instead of seeing a smooth transition. I guess that svp cannot recognise those copied mask forms as one modified along the time the same mask, but as different masks each. So, is there any way to fix that stupid behaviour of svp, or to solve my problem?

2. Default

Perhaps it's a matter of right-clicking on the keyframes and selecting smooth or linear. It sounds like it's set to hold. You can drag your pointer across all the points on the position timeline and set them all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    Perhaps it's a matter of right-clicking on the keyframes and selecting smooth or linear. It sounds like it's set to hold. You can drag your pointer across all the points on the position timeline and set them all at once.
    Impossible, I told you I'm editing two eyes in the same "layer" and is set to linear but to be honest : none of that crap (linear, hold, smoth, fast, slow) works. Anyway tried what you have told me and... it didn't work, maybe I have to switch to another svp. Here goes SS :

https://i.imgur.com/XyFjl6C.png The broken eye is the selected one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Manko View Post
    Impossible, I told you I'm editing two eyes in the same "layer" and is set to linear
    If I understand you correctly then you've not uunderstood this. Keyframe interpolation (smooth, liner etc) is not set per "layer" it is set for each individual keyframe.

Any chance you can post the .veg file and assets?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    If I understand you correctly then you've not uunderstood this. Keyframe interpolation (smooth, liner etc) is not set per "layer" it is set for each individual keyframe.

Any chance you can post the .veg file and assets?
    I know perfectly that it is per keyframes, as mentioned in my previous post : I selected all the keyframes holding shift from first to last kf and played with the modes... What I'm trying to say by "the same layer" is that I'm masking both eyes on the same media block (therefore on the same keyframes). My keyframes were set to lineal from the start, and the left (for us) eye works as it should. You can see all that on my previous posts...

6. Default

That's why he asked if you can post the .veg file and assets, so he can look at your process in more detail. I believe it's likely he can determine why it's not working for you if he has access to those files.

Blog Entries

OK I can reproduce this in VP16 and speculate as to how it comes about. I do not know how you managed to copy the keyframes and invert them horizontally so I cannot (as yet) explain how you would achieve what you want.
    Simple reproduction.

Create 2 masks on a timeline - mask A and Mask B at 0s
    Move to 2s and adjust the two masks
    Movement is interpolated as expected for both masks
    At some point between 1s and 2s adjust either or both shapes - again behaviour is as expected.

Now add a third mask, Mask C, at 1s
    Play the clip and Masks A and B behave as before.
    The shape for Mask C pops into existance at 1s

This is the important bit and crucial to understanding how this works: At one frame before 2s Mask C still exists but at 2s Mask C disappears.

My intepretation of what is happening is each keyframe it can only keep a "record" of nodes which existed at this point when it was created.

To explain further
    New timeline:
    At 0s sec create a simple square mask (mask A). Let's call the nodes (corners) nodes 1,2,3 & 4. our keyframe at 0 sec stores the poritions for nodes 1,2,3,4
    At 2 sec move the shape a bit. The keyframe at 2s stores positions for nodes 1,2,3,4 and nothing else

At 1 sec create anothe square mask (Mask B). The new keyframe stores the current (interpreted) positions for nodes 1,2,3,4 (from Mask A) and the positions for the new nodes 5,6,7,8 from Mask B

At any point between 1s and 2s you can create new keyframes and adjust points 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 & 8

However, at 2 seconds there is no record of nodes 5,6,7 & 8 as they didn't exist when it was created, hence any new mask added at this point will be treated as a new mask (set of nodes)

I think this is the behaviour which is casuing your problem.
    When you copy keyframe on top of another keyframe, as far as Vegas is concerned you are copying a set of new nodes which do not relate to any other set of nodes.
    Tim

I do not know how you managed to copy the keyframes and invert them horizontally so I cannot (as yet) explain how you would achieve what you want.
    https://imgur.com/a/WZZWbRw I copied the mask's paths only.

I think this is the behaviour which is casuing your problem.
    When you copy keyframe on top of another keyframe, as far as Vegas is concerned you are copying a set of new nodes which do not relate to any other set of nodes.
    Seems right but svp should sort of trace the mask's shape between keyframes if I defined all the keyframes from time 0 to the end and overrode all the keyframes putting in them the second mask (path). I even did some small tests apart regarding svp's abbility to recognise a previous mask(a single mask's path) to be able to perfrom a more complex transformation (adding & deleting nodes, playing with tangents [all those changes applied to the frame B where A is the initial keyframe and B the final]) and it was able to show up that interpolation...

So is it impossible to create a relation between "new unrelated" masks in between keyframes, if svp doesn't do it by itself? Then do I have to find my solution not in masks but in cloning whole media blocks and swapping them horizontally or whatever?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Manko View Post

So is it impossible to create a relation between "new unrelated" masks in between keyframes, if svp doesn't do it by itself? Then do I have to find my solution not in masks but in cloning whole media blocks and swapping them horizontally or whatever?
    I don't know what else you have or have planned to go on there but I would have thought a separate track for each eye graphic might be the way to go.
    Tim

I don't know what else you have or have planned to go on there but I would have thought a separate track for each eye graphic might be the way to go.
    Ok, it worked.. thank you all for your time..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast