Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help! Been offered work and I have no idea what to charge.

Quote Originally Posted by RL_Sensei View Post
    Work rate is not the only thing that he needs to charge. And you NEVER in a million years put gear costs under your work rate in video / film production. Then you might as well give the client money from your own pocket to make a video for them.
    Unless you are a steadycam operator and you come as a package deal (gear + work per day).

But this is a video production not a crew hire.
    My advice is the OP is to keep it simple. Itís also good to be transparent about pricing and charging using a rate card is simple for everyone. You can of course make an allowance for materials within your rate when you set this.

You've mentioned being professional several times. Thereís no formula for ďbeing professionalĒ. Most people I work with value my openness and attitude to getting things done. I doubt anyone has ever thought I'm not professional because of a charging basis!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    You've mentioned being professional several times. There’s no formula for “being professional”. Most people I work with value my openness and attitude to getting things done. I doubt anyone has ever thought I'm not professional because of a charging basis!
    Maybe this is a language thing.

The word Professional has multiple definition, but this is the one i am referring to:
    adjective: professional
    "engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as an amateur."

As soon as someone is getting payed to perform a specific job and that is the main occupation of that person - you are by definition a Professional.
    Whether someone has the qualification or skills to be called a professional is something entirely different, yet obviously connected.

I totally get that we are talking about 2 completely different spectrums of video production (me mostly about actual video production) and you (including the OP) about basic amateur "here's $100, take your DSLR and make some kind of video" type of scenario.
    But that doesn't mean any filmmaker should be ONLY asking money for his/her work and not the equipment they use and invested money to buy or other expenses. That just makes no sense!

That's like going to a construction company and saying - i want to build a house, but i will only pay for the work, the materials should be for free.
    That's nonsense.
    In video production, gear is the materials used to make a video. How on earth would you NOT charge for that?

And yeah - i can guarantee you that clients who have serious experience with video production will INSTANTLY see the difference between a actual Professional and an Amateur simply by the way each presents and calculates a video production budget!

I deal with Marketing people in companies who do dozens of video projects per year and if you show up there and... lets say want to shoot a short, super easy promotion for them. Like, IDK... a coffee house promo video.... and say something like "Oh, well... for this video i would charge 5 hours of shooting and 8 hours of editing... and that's it"... then you will be laughed at and kicked out of the building.

They would instantly ask - oh really?
    - Where's your pre-production? Will you not DO planning before the shoot? Check out the location, make a script and story board? Figure out shot's and logistics etc? - What kind of filmmaker are you?
    - Where's your gear budget? Will you film that video on a potato? That's not acceptable!
    - How will you light the scenes? We don't see any budget for lighting, stands, flags, cables etc... Do you wan't to make a video for us that looks like shit without lighting? That's the most important part!
    - Oh, you do have some lights? Oh, you have one $50 Amazon knock of LED light to light the whole scene and talent? Yeag - GTFO!
    - Oh, so now you will go and rent lights from your salary? That's gonna be half of it gone for a rental day.
    - But OK, lets say you will get lights - According to your budged there is only 1 person in the Crew and that's you. How do you plan to set up lights for a scene while prepping the talent, setting up the shot, rigging audio and so on?
    - Oh, you will do that alone? OK! Let's say we want 14 scenes shot (establishing, close ups, leads, B-roll, etc)... Let's do basic math and calculate how you will do all of that in 5 hours... ALONE!!

Really - i could go on for an hour here.

I am not saying the OP needs all of this for his videos - i am saying it's better to LEARN and KNOW these things beforehand then to be clueless in front of a client!

Because people talk. Most of your jobs come from word-of-mouth in video production! If a few clients start whispering - oh, just don't hire that guy, he has no clue, then you will have a hard time getting jobs in your area.

You have a very particular view of how contracting / engagement works - summarising your various posts, your thinking is that presenting yourself as a professional is fundamental and to do this you need to have an itemised budget. I assume this is because you just invested in some gear to start up a business, so this is at the forefront of your mind. Nothing wrong with that, but this is your circumstance, not everyone's.

To be clear your advice isn't appropriate to the poster and I've attempted a few times to politely point this out. Not all circumstances are tte same and it's really important to give advice tailored to the circumstance. My advice is to keep it simple and be clear on your charging basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by RL_Sensei View Post
    That's like going to a construction company and saying - i want to build a house, but i will only pay for the work, the materials should be for free.
    That's nonsense.
    In video production, gear is the materials used to make a video. How on earth would you NOT charge for that?
    That's a bit of hyperbole. My clients don't get to keep my cameras when I'm done with a shoot.

Sometimes I do a complete spreadsheet with a percentage for gear rental based on value, but most of the time I just build gear rental into my labor fee.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12