Thread: Software advice

Default Software advice

Hi all

I really need some unbiased opinion please...

I have been playing about with video editing off and on overvthe years. Now I want to learn how to do it properly.

Initially I intend to mainly do work on video for YouTube but develope my skills overtime to take on projects for small companies and such. I am just about to take ownership of be iMac i9 with Vega graphics card so hardware isn't an issue.

My issue is... Which software to go with.... Basically I want software that I can learn and grow with. I don't want to (I don't think) to go with cheaper less powerful software which will only allow me to go so far and the have to swap later. I know that might be harder to go with one of the more advanced programs to start with but unless someone tells me that it's a silly way to do it, I don't mind it being harder.

The "big 3" I can see are . Premiere, final cut and davinci. Which one would you recommend to go with?

Also, given your suggestion can you advise a good online course for that software, paid or free, to help with the learning curve?

Thanks in advance

Graham

DaVinci Resolve, free or paid.

Start with the free one. Once you know how to use it, and if you start feeling the limitations then progress to the paid version.

First tutorial:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbqmZjJEsBw

Blog Entries

Whilst I am struggling to make the transition from Vegas to Resolve I cannot think of any reason (other than compatability with other editors you may work with) for someone who wants to get into this seriously NOT to go with Resolve.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Whilst I am struggling to make the transition from Vegas to Resolve I cannot think of any reason (other than compatability with other editors you may work with) for someone who wants to get into this seriously NOT to go with Resolve.
    I have Resolve but I struggle with it. I guess its too advanced for me. Struggle to even upload clips. But then again I am really stoopid. I have iMovie which I find easy but will persevere with Resolve.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkybear View Post
    The "big 3" I can see are . Premiere, final cut and davinci. Which one would you recommend to go with?
    From someone who has been using Adobe software for video editing for more then 12 years i can tell you this - STAY AWAY from Premiere Pro if you wan't to plan for your future and keep your sanity!
    With each update Adobe has made Premiere slower, more buggy and simply put - unbearable to work with in a professional environment.
    Not exaggerating - i was losing 1-4 hours on every project (depending the scope) using Premiere because of it's shit performance and bugs!

You think your new iMac will be fast? Not if you will use Premiere! Premiere has the worst performance out of any NLE i have used.

This year i decided to switch fully to Davinci Resolve for 90% of all my productions (i am still not as advanced with Fusion in Resolve to leave After Effects), but you can see a very STRONG trend in the video editor community leaving Adobe for Resolve. Just search "leaving adobe" and you will see how pissed people are these days with it, me included.

Not only that - Adobe has a monthly subscription for their software. I pay 73 EUR per month (with tax) to Adobe, they are making record revenue, but their product is getting worse every year. That's 876 EUR a YEAR and their software is making me want to bash my head in my keyboard half of the time because of the insane amount of bugs and stability issues it has.

Resolve with 95% of its features is completly FREE and you can buy the Studio version for a one time $299 price!
    And honestly - Resolve 16 is better then Premiere Pro in almost every major aspect now!
    And it sooooooooo much faster, better optimized and less buggy.

Obviously Resolve is not perfect, it still needs a lot of work, more features, more shortcuts, scalable UI etc. and it has a steeper learning curve then Premiere, but trust me - it will be well worth it for the future to go with Resolve, because i can guarantee you - people are fed up with Adobe's bullshit and Resolve is being developed and improved with an astonishing pace.

My guess is Resolve 17 will dominate the NLE market and crush Adobe!

Quote Originally Posted by RL_Sensei View Post
    From someone who has been using Adobe software for video editing for more then 12 years i can tell you this - STAY AWAY from Premiere Pro if you wan't to plan for your future and keep your sanity!
    With each update Adobe has made Premiere slower, more buggy and simply put - unbearable to work with in a professional environment.
    Not exaggerating - i was losing 1-4 hours on every project (depending the scope) using Premiere because ......
    Thanks for the information, much appreciated. I did what you suggested and searched... WOW!!! Premiere is now off the list... Down to two.

Thanks Jediboy, Much appreciated

Thanks for the advice and the link. Appreciated.