Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proxy files ...

Default Proxy files ...

... generated by the camera, (not the editing software) can they be colour graded, resized etc on the timeline ?
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

I don't see why not, if it's a video file it can be handled like a video file. Do thy play back as a video file?
    The cats are watching us...

3. Default

My Sony camcorders record a more highly compressed MP4 file along with a larger AVCHD file. I sometimes use the MP4 for the initial work of sync and color adjustment. It works okay but processing can bring out compression artifacts.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    I file. Do thy play back as a video file?
    I assume so. My understanding is you use them to work your footage on the timeline then somehow you then render the final edit utilising the original larger files!? ... I could be wrong
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    My Sony camcorders record a more highly compressed MP4 file along with a larger AVCHD file. I sometimes use the MP4 for the initial work of sync and color adjustment. It works okay but processing can bring out compression artifacts.
    Yes, the dual file recording (proxy files) is one of the things that attracted me to the Sony. In theory those proxy files should work with my old editing machine. I hope my understanding is correct and I can use proxies as above. You mention processing bringing out artefacts.. . I thought rendering was carried out by somehow reverting to the original, larger files.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    Yes, the dual file recording (proxy files) is one of the things that attracted me to the Sony. In theory those proxy files should work with my old editing machine. I hope my understanding is correct and I can use proxies as above. You mention processing bringing out artefacts.. . I thought rendering was carried out by somehow reverting to the original, larger files.
    Right, I mean until I swap out the proxies for the real files.

By the way, they're not intended to be proxies, they're intended to allow immediate posting to the internet. At least that's what my manuals say.

Blog Entries

I would be inclined to use the proxies for editing for timing etc and maybe some initial grading, but substitute the real files for final colour grading as the proxies will most likely be missing some of the colour information.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I would be inclined to use the proxies for editing for timing etc and maybe some initial grading, but substitute the real files for final colour grading as the proxies will most likely be missing some of the colour information.
    apparently, the proxies are recorded within the real files i can see this is gonna be a nightmare

Blog Entries

What's the camera? Surely the workflow must be documented somewhere.
    Tim

Usually I just fiddle but this cameras functions are a bit "involved" so refering to the manual is a nessasery evil !

Unfortunately, it's more of a "guide" than a full on manual ..

Here's a link to the online manual and it's information on proxy files.

https://helpguide.sony.net/cam/1710/...001492384.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast