Thread: PC upgrade/build questions...

Default PC upgrade/build questions...

Decided to relocate my questions to a dedicated thread.

GPU question:
    How to know which particular version of for example an RTX 2070? there's so many different builds and prices also seem to be quite different between all the different versions.

RAM question
    I've got 32 GB of DDR3 ram (1600Mhz if that is relevant to the question) I'm hoping to save a little initial money on a new build by using the old RAM for a while longer before I upgrade that. Is this possible? Is this a horrible idea?
    The cats are watching us...

It's my understanding ddr3 and ddr4 have different contacts. So ddr3 wouldn't mount to a motherboard built fir ddr4.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    It's my understanding ddr3 and ddr4 have different contacts. So ddr3 wouldn't mount to a motherboard built fir ddr4.
    I really should have googled better, don't know how I missed that... :S

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Decided to relocate my questions to a dedicated thread.

GPU question:
    How to know which particular version of for example an RTX 2070? there's so many different builds and prices also seem to be quite different between all the different versions.

RAM question
    I've got 32 GB of DDR3 ram (1600Mhz if that is relevant to the question) I'm hoping to save a little initial money on a new build by using the old RAM for a while longer before I upgrade that. Is this possible? Is this a horrible idea?
    Hey, i saw your question in the other post, but didn't have the time to respond right away.

Regarding GPU selection - i only buy from the big brands: Asus, MSI, EVGA and Gigabyte.
    Usually each brand has 3-5 different versions of the same card, but you should focus on the highest clock speeds and best cooling. That's also pretty much the only difference there, other then OC potential in the highest end models.
    Just select a brand and sort their cards from the most expensive down - compare clock speeds and figure out what you can afford.

Your DDR3 Ram will not work in current gen PCs. Sell it on ebay or throw it in the garbage. Unless you have some other old PC that could need it.

BTW. AMD announced the 16 core CPU yesterday night. So, i am supper happy about that. And it's only $750!

Quote Originally Posted by RL_Sensei View Post
    Hey, i saw your question in the other post, but didn't have the time to respond right away.

Regarding GPU selection - i only buy from the big brands: Asus, MSI, EVGA and Gigabyte.
    Usually each brand has 3-5 different versions of the same card, but you should focus on the highest clock speeds and best cooling. That's also pretty much the only difference there, other then OC potential in the highest end models.
    Just select a brand and sort their cards from the most expensive down - compare clock speeds and figure out what you can afford.

Your DDR3 Ram will not work in current gen PCs. Sell it on ebay or throw it in the garbage. Unless you have some other old PC that could need it.

BTW. AMD announced the 16 core CPU yesterday night. So, i am supper happy about that. And it's only $750!
    Yeah but since I sort of hi-jacked the thread I thought it might be better to have it here

GPU: Clock speed it is then! Makes sense I suppose.

RAM: Maybe I should just sell the whole system on when I upgrade. It's still a really decent build, just not really suited for the files that the latest gen 4K cams create (like the 200mbps HEVC files... it struggles with that though to be fair I don't have a GPU so that might be part of the reason).

CPU: Wow that's like 35 per core, not bad when you look at it like that

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Yeah but since I sort of hi-jacked the thread I thought it might be better to have it here

GPU: Clock speed it is then! Makes sense I suppose.

RAM: Maybe I should just sell the whole system on when I upgrade. It's still a really decent build, just not really suited for the files that the latest gen 4K cams create (like the 200mbps HEVC files... it struggles with that though to be fair I don't have a GPU so that might be part of the reason).

CPU: Wow that's like 35 per core, not bad when you look at it like that
    For GPUs, an important measurement that has nothing to do with performance is the actual physical length of the video card (i know its trivial, but you would be surprised how many people have bought a card and then it physically did not fit in their cheap random PC case that was too small.
    Also, make sure to check if the card will not cover up another PCE lane or m.2 slot, because most cards take up 2 slots, but there are some beefier ones that take 3 slots (in thickness). For example, my 1080 ti is 2.5 slots and covers the m.2 slot on my board.

I don't think you would get much by selling a used system, especially without a video card.
    And people can buy decent new budged builds for $500 - $700 (for their needs) and those would pretty much have the same performance as your current one, though less RAM.
    Maybe someone in your family needs a PC and could take it of your hands for a symbolic payment or a 1L Hennessy
    It's what i usually do.

Quote Originally Posted by RL_Sensei View Post
    For GPUs, an important measurement that has nothing to do with performance is the actual physical length of the video card (i know its trivial, but you would be surprised how many people have bought a card and then it physically did not fit in their cheap random PC case that was too small.
    Also, make sure to check if the card will not cover up another PCE lane or m.2 slot, because most cards take up 2 slots, but there are some beefier ones that take 3 slots (in thickness). For example, my 1080 ti is 2.5 slots and covers the m.2 slot on my board.

I don't think you would get much by selling a used system, especially without a video card.
    And people can buy decent new budged builds for $500 - $700 (for their needs) and those would pretty much have the same performance as your current one, though less RAM.
    Maybe someone in your family needs a PC and could take it of your hands for a symbolic payment or a 1L Hennessy
    It's what i usually do.
    Thanks for the warning
    Good point on the new build, that's almost the same amount that I bought the initial build for in the first place and that was years ago.