Thread: Capture Problem for Newbie, Help !

Default Capture Problem for Newbie, Help !

Hi Guys,

Hope someone can help with my problem, it's really buggin me !

I've just installed Premiere Pro V1.5 and attempted to capture digital video content from my Canon XM2 digital camcorder and don't seem to be having any luck.

The camera is plugged into the computer via firewire, once the camera is turned on, Windows XP automatically detects the camera and installs it without any problems at all.

I then go into Adobe Premiere to capture video, I have also made sure that all the settings are correct in Premiere and it even shows the camera as being online. I am then able to control the camera using the controls in the capture window in Premiere. The problem is that I don't have any audio or video appearing in the capture window, hence nothing is being captured. I find this strange as I am still able to comunicate with the camera from the computer by using the controls, it just dosn't seem to capture any audio or video.

Anybody have any ideas what the problem could be, I don't have a capture card however I have been told I don't need one if I am connecting a digital camcorder direct to the computer via firewire.

I have Windows XP Pro, AMD Athlon 3500+ 64bit, 1 Gig RAM, Geforce 6800GT Graphics Card, Audigy 2 ZS Sound card.

Many thanks for your help in advance.

can you control your camcorder via premiere' capture interface ? like play, forward, backward, etc... ?

Quote Originally Posted by rendyka
    can you control your camcorder via premiere' capture interface ? like play, forward, backward, etc... ?
    Yes I can, but nothing is being captured, and no video is playing in the capture window.

Default camera problem

Check your camera manual you may have to turn on the output mode. I have to do this with my sony.

Best of luck

Try entering this at the Run command

regsvr32 %windir%\system32\qdv.dll

Every time I re-install Premier Pro I cannont get the capture to work untill I've re-registered the qdv.dll

Bracknell, Berkshire, UK

As well as all the good advice above, which likely as not will more than cover your problems I would add....

are you sure it's not capturing? The wording you have used implies that as you can't see or hear anything in the capture utility you are merely assuming the capture is not working. Especially as the camera control are all working.

My camera does not display video or sound in Premiere while capturing at all but it does capture fine. I simply have to watch the screen on the camera for my preview. The difference here though is that I am prompted to do this.

Default XM2 Download problems

Hi I'm a newbie to video editing and I have been trying to download from the Canon XM2.
    I'm on my second Firewire Card(thought the first one may have been faulty!) and have tried to download using Magix Movie Edit Pro but I just get a message saying 'could not connect to selected device' this is after hitting record and selecting device.
    The PC seems to recognise the card - the cable is new - but still no joy.
    Are there any settings on the camera that I should be aware of?