Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35

Thread: Angel Meadow

  1. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RL_Sensei View Post
    Good job overall.
    I liked the effort in getting B-roll shots.
    Well executed broadcast style production.

    A few shots were overexposed on the subject, but it seems the camera did not have decent DR. You can see a image quality drop in the sunny scenes where the camera can't handle contrast and breaks the image.
    But that's mostly gear limitations at this point.

    The only thing i would fine tune is the voice over audio with some EQ adjustments. It seems a cheap lav was used and you can hear the essssssses a lot and it's overall strong on the treble side. A more balanced audio would feel better, esp the higher frequencies feel too strong. But i am not an audio guy, so. Maybe someone else here can help you on that side more.
    The first word that was said @0:10 min felt like someone screeching nails on a chalkboard, try to work on that with maybe a crossfade or something to easy in to the voice over.

    Thanks RL, some useful feedback there. Your comment about treble being prominent echoes a comment I received on a music track I posted on another forum. I'm afraid I'll have to put it down to loss of higher frequencies in my hearing and the fact I'm obviously over compensating for that... dam you tinnitus. Again , another good reason to post videos on here for critique.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

  2. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    Thanks fir pointing out the spelling error. One of the reasons I post my videos here first.
    I'm not sure if I'll be keeping those little info snippet titles in the final cut.
    Don't forget that Ray is an American. The rest of the world writes emphasise the way you do (or should write emphasise instead of emphasize as far as I've been taught.)
    The cats are watching us...

  3. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    I'd be interested to know if previously, you didn't know Angle Meadow, did we get the story across ? Does the edit need sharpening by deleting some of the "fluff" ?
    I "know" angel meadow but learned so much more and it's because of the fluff so I'd say keep it in!
    The cats are watching us...

  4. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Don't forget that Ray is an American. The rest of the world writes emphasise the way you do (or should write emphasise instead of emphasize as far as I've been taught.)
    yes thats why i put mistake not mistakes.. cant argue with the other
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    I "know" angel meadow but learned so much more and it's because of the fluff so I'd say keep it in!
    cheers mr.grapes
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

  6. #16

    Default

    Always glad to help, looking forward to your next production already!
    The cats are watching us...

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Don't forget that Ray is an American. The rest of the world writes emphasise the way you do (or should write emphasise instead of emphasize as far as I've been taught.)
    Heheh, I wondered if that might be the case.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    11,320
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    Thsnks grapes glad you enjoyed it. The Engels onscreen quote is to be replaced with a spoken passage (same words) Lydia Becker's spoken passage is to be re recorded too.
    That's two of my potental comments dealt with!
    Tim

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    11,320
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I won't waste time agreeing with what others have said - there's little disagreement here so far it seems. However I would argue that rather than your camera not having decent dynamic range, its just that RL_Sensie has access to cameras with better dynamic range. Equally, I'm sure you wouldn't blame the limiations of the gear, rather accept responsibility for failing to wqrk within the limitations of the gear! The only shot I found overexposed enough to cause any distraction noticed was 3:02.
    Getting a bit fornsic and picky.
    You have one or two "arty" shots with camera movement with stuff in the foreground. There are not always super smooth. If I recall correctly you do all this hand held and as such I think they are absolutely brilliant, but unfortunately they will be compared nowadays to the many films with silky smooth camera movement aided by motorised sliders.On the other hand some work better with the more organic hand held movement. I love 0:25 - both the subject and the movement. I also love how in many of these b-roll shots you get the sun's glare on the lens adding a real dynamism tio the shot.

    0:13 Steps not level. Reshot possible?
    Focus pull 0:37 expected and well executed.
    I wasn't keen on the mix of fonts and tracking for the title. I believe fornts shoud be from the same family or have a greater contrast.(FWIW I really like the font and tracking used fro Angel Meadow)
    Not keen on the wipe at 0:51. i'm guessing this was a "patch" of sorts as you couldn't match the two shots. If that's the case, I'd lose the first shot and have the voice come in over the title or another shot (perhaps like we see at 1:27 - without John)before cutting to your presenter.
    1:11 Captions need some work to make them easier to read (I suspect these are just place holders at present)
    Well done for matching the old shot of Irk Street! - I bet that took some effort, but the result is well worth it.
    1:40 consider cut the background music (harshly) immediately before "This was once a bural ground..."
    Speaking of music - great choices throughout - all totally suitable (although the edit in "Abide with me around 4:14 feels a bit awkward coming halfway through a bar"
    2:23 - Get closer into the notice and no need for a caption (which just repeats the notice)
    4:15 - another effective match cut.
    The comment at 4:24 is interesting but awkward. It's just an odd fact on ts own.
    4:43 I love zoom in as John approached the camera. You feel it ought to complete on "Hell on Earth" but it goes on and works even better that the zoom completes as he looks around at "the many factories".
    7:18 is another great shot zooming out from the steam with the razor wire. Blimey! Two zooms and I like them!
    8:24 "This award winning park" really cries out for a wide shot of the park.
    I'd like to see some images of the proposed towering structures (appreciate this may well be a copyright issue, but presumably at some point there will be artist's impressions on the hoardings that you can "accidentally" include. This would create a neat circle - still images of the past, live footage of the present, and still images of the planned future.
    You have some cracking still images - and a mix of them too (paintings, book cover as well as photos.).

    I don't know the area at all and it kept me enthralled thorughout. You & John make a good team. Great stuff. I look forward to seeing the finished product.


















    .
    Tim

  10. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I won't waste time agreeing with what others have said - there's little disagreement here so far it seems. However I would argue that rather than your camera not having decent dynamic range, its just that RL_Sensie has access to cameras with better dynamic range. Equally, I'm sure you wouldn't blame the limiations of the gear, rather accept responsibility for failing to wqrk within the limitations of the gear! The only shot I found overexposed enough to cause any distraction noticed was 3:02.
    Getting a bit fornsic and picky.
    You have one or two "arty" shots with camera movement with stuff in the foreground. There are not always super smooth. If I recall correctly you do all this hand held and as such I think they are absolutely brilliant, but unfortunately they will be compared nowadays to the many films with silky smooth camera movement aided by motorised sliders.On the other hand some work better with the more organic hand held movement. I love 0:25 - both the subject and the movement. I also love how in many of these b-roll shots you get the sun's glare on the lens adding a real dynamism tio the shot.

    0:13 Steps not level. Reshot possible?
    Focus pull 0:37 expected and well executed.
    I wasn't keen on the mix of fonts and tracking for the title. I believe fornts shoud be from the same family or have a greater contrast.(FWIW I really like the font and tracking used fro Angel Meadow)
    Not keen on the wipe at 0:51. i'm guessing this was a "patch" of sorts as you couldn't match the two shots. If that's the case, I'd lose the first shot and have the voice come in over the title or another shot (perhaps like we see at 1:27 - without John)before cutting to your presenter.
    1:11 Captions need some work to make them easier to read (I suspect these are just place holders at present)
    Well done for matching the old shot of Irk Street! - I bet that took some effort, but the result is well worth it.
    1:40 consider cut the background music (harshly) immediately before "This was once a bural ground..."
    Speaking of music - great choices throughout - all totally suitable (although the edit in "Abide with me around 4:14 feels a bit awkward coming halfway through a bar"
    2:23 - Get closer into the notice and no need for a caption (which just repeats the notice)
    4:15 - another effective match cut.
    The comment at 4:24 is interesting but awkward. It's just an odd fact on ts own.
    4:43 I love zoom in as John approached the camera. You feel it ought to complete on "Hell on Earth" but it goes on and works even better that the zoom completes as he looks around at "the many factories".
    7:18 is another great shot zooming out from the steam with the razor wire. Blimey! Two zooms and I like them!
    8:24 "This award winning park" really cries out for a wide shot of the park.
    I'd like to see some images of the proposed towering structures (appreciate this may well be a copyright issue, but presumably at some point there will be artist's impressions on the hoardings that you can "accidentally" include. This would create a neat circle - still images of the past, live footage of the present, and still images of the planned future.
    You have some cracking still images - and a mix of them too (paintings, book cover as well as photos.).

    I don't know the area at all and it kept me enthralled thorughout. You & John make a good team. Great stuff. I look forward to seeing the finished product.


















    .
    I won't waste time agreeing with what others have said - there's little disagreement here so far it seems. However I would argue that rather than your camera not having decent dynamic range, its just that RL_Sensie has access to cameras with better dynamic range. Equally, I'm sure you wouldn't blame the limiations of the gear, rather accept responsibility for failing to wqrk within the limitations of the gear! The only shot I found overexposed enough to cause any distraction noticed was 3:02.
    Getting a bit fornsic and picky.
    You have one or two "arty" shots with camera movement with stuff in the foreground. There are not always super smooth. If I recall correctly you do all this hand held and as such I think they are absolutely brilliant, but unfortunately they will be compared nowadays to the many films with silky smooth camera movement aided by motorised sliders.On the other hand some work better with the more organic hand held movement. I love 0:25 - both the subject and the movement. I also love how in many of these b-roll shots you get the sun's glare on the lens adding a real dynamism tio the shot.

    0:13 Steps not level. Reshot possible?
    Focus pull 0:37 expected and well executed.
    I wasn't keen on the mix of fonts and tracking for the title. I believe fornts shoud be from the same family or have a greater contrast.(FWIW I really like the font and tracking used fro Angel Meadow)

    WHAT IS TRACKING?

    Not keen on the wipe at 0:51. i'm guessing this was a "patch" of sorts as you couldn't match the two shots. If that's the case, I'd lose the first shot and have the voice come in over the title or another shot (perhaps like we see at 1:27 - without John)before cutting to your presenter.

    Long before John came on board id visited Angel Meadow just to shoot clips to edit together with music. one of those clips was taken from the same spot at the top of those steps panning through the railings and it worked really well. i really, wanted to recreate the shot with John as an opener and i thought wed got it on the day (many takes) it was difficult to see on the cameras small screen but on the big screen, it was obvious it didn't quite work ... im gutted as its my favourite shot.. jonh is prepared to reshoot a coup[le of scenes but i can't be arsed now ...onwards and upwards



    1:11 Captions need some work to make them easier to read (I suspect these are just place holders at present)

    CORRECT

    Well done for matching the old shot of Irk Street! - I bet that took some effort, but the result is well worth it.

    YES IM QUITE PLEASED WITH THAT

    1:40 consider cut the background music (harshly) immediately before "This was once a bural ground..."

    YES IT NEEDS WORK THAT

    Speaking of music - great choices throughout - all totally suitable (although the edit in "Abide with me around 4:14 feels a bit awkward coming halfway through a bar"

    AS YOU KNOW TIM, FETTLING THE MUSIC IS MY FAVOURITE PART OF EDITING

    2:23 - Get closer into the notice and no need for a caption (which just repeats the notice)
    4:15 - another effective match cut.
    The comment at 4:24 is interesting but awkward. It's just an odd fact on ts own.
    4:43 I love zoom in as John approached the camera. You feel it ought to complete on "Hell on Earth" but it goes on and works even better that the zoom completes as he looks around at "the many factories".

    7:18 is another great shot zooming out from the steam with the razor wire. Blimey! Two zooms and I like them!

    I DONT BELIEVE IVE EVER USED ZOOM BEFORE ! NOT VERY PRO IS IT...DONT KNOW WHYT I WAS THINKING


    8:24 "This award winning park" really cries out for a wide shot of the park.
    I'd like to see some images of the proposed towering structures (appreciate this may well be a copyright issue, but presumably at some point there will be artist's impressions on the hoardings that you can "accidentally" include. This would create a neat circle - still images of the past, live footage of the present, and still images of the planned future.

    I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE SAYING AND YOU'RE QUITE RIGHT, BUT THIS IS THE SUMMING UP, CUTTING IN IMAGES OF THE HIGH RISE TOWER BLOCKS WOULDNT WORK WITH THE PACE AND DELIVERY OF THE SUMMING UP. ILL BE HONEST IM NOT OVER KEEN ON THE SUMMING UP AS IS... BUT ITS WHAT WE HAVE.


    You have some cracking still images - and a mix of them too (paintings, book cover as well as photos.).

    I don't know the area at all and it kept me enthralled thorughout. You & John make a good team. Great stuff. I look forward to seeing the finished product.

    aS ALWAYS, thanks very much for the detailed critique Tim. very useful.
    yes, i enjoy working with John, and i guess we do make a good team . ... As to the finished product ... id say im 90 percent there.. biggest hold up is getting hold of Mr Engles to record the voice over

    Thanks again.

    Ian.
    Last edited by enc; 05-25-2019 at 09:27 PM.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Angel Eyes (Graphic Content)
    By Rdwomack2 in forum User Videos
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-03-2011, 10:25 PM
  2. Guy Mannion Presents: Dan Priddy's 'Angel'
    By GuyMannion in forum User Videos
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-24-2010, 11:24 PM
  3. Canon XL2 wide angel lens needed
    By ehsun69 in forum Ebay and other classified ads: gear, cameras and video editing stuff
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-31-2008, 12:02 AM
  4. adjusting audio for angel/devil on shoulders
    By paulmkelly in forum Sound Recording and Audio Editing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-03-2008, 09:58 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •