Thread: I need advice on what type of jobs I should look for

Question I need advice on what type of jobs I should look for

Hi everyone!
    I could also use some straight-forward critic on my videos. I know I have plenty of room for improvement, I just need to better spot it.
    Should I expect an over-saturated market where one has to start working for free for a long time?

I’ll tell you a bit about me so you’ll know what is my background.
    I started making YouTube videos about 3 months ago.
    Although I did not finish University, I did study for 2 years in the Graphic Design program (50%). I worked in the PhotoLab developing and printing photographs at the University’s newspaper.
    Years later I obtained a diploma in 3D Animation & Multimedia. Ever since I was a small kid I liked creating different things. Like figurines with plasticine, clay, and bar soaps, drawing and some painting, and even cooking.
    I am enjoying very much making videos because I can get to use many disciplines in one place. And, at least while I do it as a hobby, I get to choose “what goes, and what won’t”, so that’s nice too.
    But now I’d like to turn this hobby into something profitable so I could stop doing the “non-creative” work I normally do.
    I am entertaining the idea/notion that if I polish my video editing skills I could aspire to a paying job. How wrong am I?
    I would like to put forward these 2 different videos. Hopefully, you can see enough potential.

1. Play Astroneer in Linux – A Follow Up (00:05:46) https://youtu.be/Pfy467ADlio
    As for the music chosen, keep in mind that the game soundtrack style is Ambient music too. So I am going along with that.

2. Deleting Multiple Clips at Once with Shotcut (00:03:45) https://youtu.be/Vc6bGgIui_c

I am using all Open Source software: Shotcut, Gimp, Inkscape, Blender 3D, Audacity, OBS, etc

Thank you in advance for your valuable time and advice.

DPC
    Last edited by drpeppercan; 05-16-2019 at 09:03 PM.

Hi,

Not sure what happened to your text colour but I believe the questions are clear enough.
    Firstly the feedback. I didn't have the stamina to sit through the entire duration of the two clips so I may have missed stuff. All in all it's a bit hard to comment on these because there's not a lot going on in terms of cutting and what I seen from the second video looked quite decent all together. At some point near the end you say "press "B" or press this button" while the overlay shows the letter "p" instead which confused me. At the beginning of the clip the overlay seemed to flicker on and off, not sure if tha was intentional or not.
    The good points: I like the illustrations and the basic clean animations which I'm assuming are all done by you. Your voice is very clear which is always good.

In regards to the market and free work, yes the market is saturated and no this doesn't mean you have to work for free. My advice is to open a profile on some freelance sites like Upwork, Freelance and Fiver (I personally only have ever found work through Upwork so I can't really recommend any other platforms from personal experience) and start looking for entry level job posts. If you're willing to start for example at $10/hour I'm sure there's plenty of people that are interested in hiring you for explainer videos. Also try looking for clients that look for speakers of your native language. Perhaps it might not be your first choice but you seem to have a good voice for voice over work and there's often a demand for editors that speak a certain language other than English.

To further your chances, you might want to spend some time learning DaVinci Resolve which is free and reputable in the industry. Another thing you will want to do is working with real life footage. A lot of the jobs out there still involve editing real life footage.

If you do sign up to Upwork, link your profile here, you'll never know if it gets picked up on.
    The cats are watching us...

Red face

First off, thank you so much for both your kind and valuable advice and your time. I appreciate them.

Not sure what happened to your text colour but I believe the questions are clear enough.

I guess this happened due to my use of Dark Reader

At some point near the end you say "press "B" or press this button" while the overlay shows the letter "p" instead which confused me.
    I cannot blame you. A minute or 2 prior to that part, the same had happened, at that time I had apologized and explained that my new video capture software was doing that, but to reassure everyone I was saying that I was actually pressing the Home key. Not exactly very professional, so true. I guess these are considered my first steps in this realm of Video Editing. I will be sure to make new ones without this type of things to show at freelance sites though (like the ones you recommended).

At the beginning of the clip the overlay seemed to flicker on and off, not sure if that was intentional or not.
    Unfortunately it was not. The new videos I'll be making will have to be captured in Windows. While I figure out how to avoid this problem in Linux.

The good points: I like the illustrations and the basic clean animations which I'm assuming are all done by you. Your voice is very clear which is always good.
    Yes, I made pretty much everything. Except for any company logos like Spotify, iTunes, etc (if any). I will take that as a complement, thank you so much.

...and no this doesn't mean you have to work for free.
    That's good! Even if it's just at $10/hr, after all I'm just starting.

...you might want to spend some time learning DaVinci Resolve...
    I just learned quite a bit from it recently actually. However I was very disappointed to learn the lack of support it has for Linux. It does have a Linux version, and there is information available on how to get it done. But it's not exactly like installing an average Linux program. All this it's a real shame because DaVinci Resolve is a beautiful video editor, I loved it! But I am not ready to give up Linux, nor even adopt a routine where I'd have to jump back and forth between operating systems just over one program. Maybe if I was not as satisfied with Shotcut, THEN I would! But I am.
    Of course, if working with DR is a job requirement, I suppose I'll have to switch to Windows just for that job

Another thing you will want to do is working with real life footage. A lot of the jobs out there still involve editing real life footage.

I will make it point to do this with the next videos!

Again, thank you ever so much for your kind advice Grapes

DPC

Wow shame to hear that DR is still lacking in Linux. I guess the majority of clients probably don't care in which program you do it as long as the job gets done. There's actually a remarkable amount of clients asking specifically for camtasia editors which always surprises me. Keep up the good work. If you're heart is in it you'll probably get somewhere judging by what I've seen so far.
    The cats are watching us...

Thumbs up

Wow shame to hear that DR is still lacking in Linux.
    Indeed it is! Just to say that one cannot install it in any Linux distro, it HAS to be CentOS. And that's just the beginning! I think that already gives you an idea of how "constraining" it is. It really gets worse from that point on.

I guess the majority of clients probably don't care in which program you do it as long as the job gets done.
    True.

There's actually a remarkable amount of clients asking specifically for camtasia editors which always surprises me.
    You and me now! I have heard of Camtasia for sure, but I had no idea it had such demand.
    It reminds me when I first learned about Corel Draw. It was longer than 2 decades ago, I had just learned Adobe Illustrator and PS in a Mac. I didn't think anyone was using anything else. Little did I know...

Keep up the good work. If you're heart is in it you'll probably get somewhere judging by what I've seen so far.
    This is so nice to read! You made my day Grapes!