Thread: I have a specific editing need regarding video "levels".

Default I have a specific editing need regarding video "levels".

I'm not big into editing videos, but I have one that I would like to improve (of the historic "BigBoy 4014"). Taking one image from the video and looking in Photoshop Elements shows that the video input levels vary from 32 to 192 instead of from 0 to 255. So the darks are not black and the lights are not white.

I don't want just "lightening" and/or "darkening". I want to expand the existing input levels to the full range of the output like I can do in Photoshop Elements. What software will do this? (I would prefer links to its documentation that shows the commands.) Thanks.

2. Default

That's a simple matter of contrast and brightness. But before you start altering those parameters you might look into "broadcast safe colors" to learn more about them.

I use Vegas Pro 14, and it has a plugin called Brightness and Contrast. There's another one called Broadcast Colors. Between them I can ensure that my video output has as much contrast as possible while staying within the bounds of broadcast safe levels. The range goes from 16 to 236. It looks like you might be able to increase the contrast of your video, but it's hard to be sure from just one frame.

3. Default

Brightness and Contrast:

Vegas Pro Brightness and Contrast.jpg

Broadcast Colors:

Vegas Pro Broadcast Colors.jpg

Histogram before:

Histogram before.jpg

Histogram after:

Histogram after.jpg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    I use Vegas Pro 14, and it has a plugin called Brightness and Contrast. There's another one called Broadcast Colors.
    Vegas has a plug-in with presets designed to switch between Broadcast and Computer colours. It's the Levels setting with "Computer RGB to Studio RGB" and (what you want) "Studio RGB to Computer RGB". I use the former every time when creating mpegs for DVDs (as they expect boardcast levels rather than 0-254)
    Tim

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Vegas has a plug-in with presets designed to switch between Broadcast and Computer colours. It's the Levels setting with "Computer RGB to Studio RGB" and (what you want) "Studio RGB to Computer RGB". I use the former every time when creating mpegs for DVDs (as they expect boardcast levels rather than 0-254)
    Interesting. Sometimes I use Color Curves to get what I want. But I have used Levels for manual corrections.