Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who in 2019 is still editing 1080?

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by worddigger View Post
    Problems with Vegas crashing spurred me to migrate to Premiere Pro. After three years of Adobe's 'upgrades' and instabilities (not to mention the high recurring subscription costs), I bit the bullet and took the plunge into learning Davinci Resolve. I'm really glad that I did. I have i7 Intel core processing, 128 GB Ram and a GTX-1080 CPU. Even with THAT I was having slowdown/instability issues with Premiere Pro AND Hitfilm. The fact that Blackmagic Design's Davinci product is more GPU reliant (and becoming more-so with each iteration) is a major paradigm shift for PC video editing terminals.

The conventional wisdom has been MORE CPU SPEED and MORE RAM, but greater utilization and processing emphasis on the GPU side of terminal is proving to be a very smart move. In addition, with the integration of the legacy Fusion VFX software into a previous integration of timeline editing into the legacy Davinci Color Correction software and the additional integration of the Fairlight Audio capabilities, BMD has brought forth the ultimate in an all-in-one editing platform for PC use. Quite frankly, I consider it a game changer in the NLE race. To say nothing of the cost-effectiveness of their buy-once product vs. the subscription model that PP and Hitfilm are pushing (at ever increasing prices) and the inherent limitations of 'layering' vs. node-based approaches.

OK, with all that said, Davinci Resolve is NOT EASY to learn, it is complex and has a steep learning curve, but boy does it perform!!!
    Completely agree with you!

On a total side note - do you know if there is a way to disable DaVinci Resolve from zooming in on the playhead position in the timeline? It drives me F-in NUTS!
    It's the single most annoying feature of Resolve and i just can't live with that.

I have 2D Timeline scroll disabled so that i can scroll forward and backward in the timeline with the mouse scroll and by holding down ALT (win) + mouse scroll i can zoom in and out of the timeline.
    But every time i go like 2min ahead of the playhead to where a bunch of my "yet unused clips are" and i try to zoom in there, Resolve jumps back to the playhead position and zooms in on it's location, instead of where i was.

It is the single most frustrating thing in Resolve and i want to bash my head in to my keyboard every time that happens!

Premiere made it so convenient that the zoom would zoom in on the mouse position. As in - i put my mouse on the left side in the timeline and zoom - Premiere zooms to the left. I put the mouse on the right side, zoom in - Premiere zooms to the right. I skip 2 min ahead of the playhead and zoom in - Premiere zooms in exactly to the position i am looking at.

I just can't find anything in google search that would disable that.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    This interests me. I finally feel comfortable in premiere and after effects so I'm really dreading to take the plunge into the realm of DaVinci but let's assume I conquer my fears for a second.

My current rig is CPU only i.e. it only uses the Intelฎ HD Graphics 4600 on the i7-4770K chip. OMG, no dedicated GPU?! You must be mad!... yes, yes I am and no it doesn't have a dedicated GPU and I'll tell you why. I thought this was a clever build because it meant I saved a few hundred pounds on a power hungry GPU which in turn saved me a few pence on the electricity bill AND I could get a cheaper PSU. As a side note I'd like to mention this build has no trouble with 4K files and the CPU hasn't even been overclocked (I tried but my cores got unstable :'( ).
    Now this means I obviously would have to build something new if I'm switching to Resolve. Not a big issue, frankly it's due an upgrade soon anyway. But that puts me in sort of a similar position as the OP. Now reading this about DaVinci makes me wonder. If I build a new rig with the sole intention of using it for Resolve, does that mean I can more or less completely cheap out on the CPU, get a i3 or a budget AMD and invest what I save on the CPU in something like an NVIDIA TITAN Xp for the heavy lifting??
    That's something new i have not heard off for video editing

The short answer for your question - NO! You still want at least an i7 for serious video editing.

Sort of the dumbed down long answer - Resolve utilizes the GPU in combination with the CPU to split the workload (roughly 60-40 ratio for most of the stuff), but there are tasks, that utilize a lot more of the CPU in Resolve.
    If you cheap out on the CPU side, then you will essentially create a bottleneck situation where the CPU can't handle it's side of the workload and that in turn will slow everything down altogether.

You want a nice balance for Resolve.

Plus - think about other scenarios. What if for that one project you have to use After Effects. Good luck there with your i3 !

Quote Originally Posted by RL_Sensei View Post
    That's something new i have not heard off for video editing

The short answer for your question - NO! You still want at least an i7 for serious video editing.

Sort of the dumbed down long answer - Resolve utilizes the GPU in combination with the CPU to split the workload (roughly 60-40 ratio for most of the stuff), but there are tasks, that utilize a lot more of the CPU in Resolve.
    If you cheap out on the CPU side, then you will essentially create a bottleneck situation where the CPU can't handle it's side of the workload and that in turn will slow everything down altogether.

You want a nice balance for Resolve.

Plus - think about other scenarios. What if for that one project you have to use After Effects. Good luck there with your i3 !

Damn that's what I feared :(
    -Rant alert, you might as well skip the next bit I just need to vent...-
    So basically I can't just rely on CPU anymore in the future because whichever route I chose all the current NLE's are finally starting to utilise the GPU as well. That easily doubles the price of a good rig and I never know which GPU to get because they're all the same yet slightly different, prices are all over the place and the "workstation" GPU's can easily cost more than the rest of the entire rig and I have no clue how to justify it or how they would perform in real life because it's not like you can take them for a test drive or anything. It's all just stats and I bet that if I would splash out 5K for a workstation it sure wouldn't FEEL like I was working on a 5K workstation... it would just feel like any other new workstation and the novelty would probably wane within a fortnight.
    The cats are watching us...

4. Default

Grapes,

In your situation perhaps consider getting a video card if your system can handle it. That i7 4770k would probably be in the ballpark of a current i5 in terms of performance, not ideal but functional. If you can boost the GPU you can probably get a couple more years out of that machine.

You might be able to get a used or refurbished GTX 1070 for less than $250. Compare the performance vs your current integrated video solution:
    https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...GHz/3609vs2168

Well that's worth a shot I suppose. Reckon it'll help with HEVC files? That's currently the only thing it's struggling with.
    On the other hand that also means I'll need a new PSU (well or risking burning through another PSU... been there don't want to go there again though, the toxic smell haunts me till this day).

GPU's can easily cost more than the rest of the entire rig and I have no clue how to justify it or how they would perform in real life because it's not like you can take them for a test drive or anything. It's all just stats and I bet that if I would splash out 5K for a workstation it sure wouldn't FEEL like I was working on a 5K workstation... it would just feel like any other new workstation and the novelty would probably wane within a fortnight.
    i hear you
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

i had a ride over to Scan, they only have one video editing machine set up for you to play with... no spec or price on the actual rig but the 31" monitor it was connected too was ฃ3.5K

It was set up with DaVinci resolve with 4K footage from a Blackmagic mini "something or other" ... whatever the spec of the machine it glided through the footage evn after piling on transitions and FX

I was flying through the basics of the DaVinci program in no time ... its very intuitive

i might download the trial version to see how my machine copes /doesn't cope with it.

@RL sensi you mention Premier crashing in its current form, im using CC14 and its rock solid. what are the "extras" in the current verion ?

Scan have this thing on display ... designed by Brunel

pc-in-scan-low-qual.jpg
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    Scan have this thing on display ... designed by Brunel

pc-in-scan-low-qual.jpg
    Funny thing that... It's probably a dust magnet and yet with that design a little dust on there would probably just add to the style

9. Default

So basically I can't just rely on CPU anymore in the future because whichever route I chose all the current NLE's are finally starting to utilise the GPU as well. That easily doubles the price of a good rig...
    Well, I can give you a hint at what a decent 6K and 8K video editing workstation would cost these days.
    I plan to get this sometime late summer or early autumn.
    But, I am holding off for now because i want to see the new CPU's from Intel and AMD before i pull the trigger. I made this build to lock in the rough budget that my system would cost.

If the next gen Threadripper will not disappoint, then i might switch to AMD after more then 13 years of only going with Intel, but it's just a thought at this point. Intel CPU's have way more features and support from software etc.

Anyway, here is the build.
    It's roughly 7000 EUR.

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9960X 3.1 GHz 16-Core - €1649.90
    CPU Cooler: Corsair - H150i PRO - €167.84
    Motherboard: Asus Prime X299-Deluxe II ATX LGA2066 - €486.99
    Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 128 GB (8 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 - €1184.68
    Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 2 TB M.2-2280 SSD - €438.91
    Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 4 TB 2.5" SSD €649.90
    Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING - €1499.00
    Case: NZXT - H700i ATX Mid Tower Case - €199.90
    Power Supply: Corsair - 1200 W 80+ Platinum - €379.90
    Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro Full 32/64-bit - €210.99
    Total: €6868.01

This outperforms the best iMac Pro for half the price. I just don't understand people who buy apple stuff...
    The RTX graphics cards are very interesting for video editing, so i would only go with those these days.

Either way though - to be able to edit 6K footage and up, something like this is required. We have to keep in mind that every PC suffers a 15% - 25% performance decrease within 12 months or so, so i always try to buy the best components available at the time to prolong the time i can sustain a fast workflow.
    My current system has reached the point where it slows me down already, so it's time for an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by RL_Sensei View Post
    Well, I can give you a hint at what a decent 6K and 8K video editing workstation would cost these days.
    I plan to get this sometime late summer or early autumn.
    But, I am holding off for now because i want to see the new CPU's from Intel and AMD before i pull the trigger. I made this build to lock in the rough budget that my system would cost.

If the next gen Threadripper will not disappoint, then i might switch to AMD after more then 13 years of only going with Intel, but it's just a thought at this point. Intel CPU's have way more features and support from software etc.

Anyway, here is the build.
    It's roughly 7000 EUR.

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9960X 3.1 GHz 16-Core - €1649.90
    CPU Cooler: Corsair - H150i PRO - €167.84
    Motherboard: Asus Prime X299-Deluxe II ATX LGA2066 - €486.99
    Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 128 GB (8 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 - €1184.68
    Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 2 TB M.2-2280 SSD - €438.91
    Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 4 TB 2.5" SSD €649.90
    Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING - €1499.00
    Case: NZXT - H700i ATX Mid Tower Case - €199.90
    Power Supply: Corsair - 1200 W 80+ Platinum - €379.90
    Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro Full 32/64-bit - €210.99
    Total: €6868.01

This outperforms the best iMac Pro for half the price. I just don't understand people who buy apple stuff...
    The RTX graphics cards are very interesting for video editing, so i would only go with those these days.

Either way though - to be able to edit 6K footage and up, something like this is required. We have to keep in mind that every PC suffers a 15% - 25% performance decrease within 12 months or so, so i always try to buy the best components available at the time to prolong the time i can sustain a fast workflow.
    My current system has reached the point where it slows me down already, so it's time for an upgrade.
    Love the stats there Why go for the GeForce RTX and not something like a quadro? Yep it's a real shame there's so little AMD support in Adobe at least... that would cut the build cost down by half again Would run up the elec bill a bit more than an Intel but to be fair that's hardly a big impact in the whole scheme of things... (got solar energy anyway so I shouldn't complain but I can't help myself...)

I just assume Apple users have the money to buy an all in one plug n play solution and can't be bothered to find a more cost effective way to solve their needs. It's like buying pre chopped lettuce instead of a whole head, just on a more expensive scale
    Last edited by Grapes; 05-19-2019 at 04:39 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123